• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes in Winter

dagman1

Reaction score
I'm in Canada. I know there has been a few threads on galoshes... but I wanted people's opinions about what works better.

Option 1: Look dorky, wear galoshes.
Option 2: Keep shoes at the office, wear boots to work.
Option 3: Buy some beater shoes for the winter.

What do you recommend and why? Are there any other options? I'm leaning towards galoshes.

identity-x

Reaction score
I think overshoes say "I actually care for and value about the shoes I own" much more than they say "dork".

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x
I think overshoes say "I actually care for and value about the shoes I own" much more than they say "dork".

...and if you buy them in bright orange it says even less dork
smile.gif
))

Snowman_SE

Reaction score
Order a made-to-order shoe from one of the better brands like Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, Alfred Sargent Handgrade etc with a crepe, commando, wibram or similar sole. These makers can produce nice dress boots fitted with rubber soles without taking the elegance away. Many other brands produce boots with rubber soles, but they tend to be of the casual style, and thus not very fitting for a white collar job.

Only problem is that there's usually a delivery time of 3-6 months on MTO's, so you should have thought about this two months ago!
smile.gif

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by identity-x

+1 Who gives a **** what you look like. I would be more concerned with protecting my expensive dress shoes.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
+1 Who gives a **** what you look like. I would be more concerned with protecting my expensive dress shoes.

LOL. Funny to see such a comment on this forum.

When living in Stockholm I used to change from outdoor boots to shoes when arriving at the office (and vice-versa). A lot of people did that, and it seemed to make sense.

Here in Madrid winter weather is less of a problem, but on rainy (and the occasional snowy) days I often use suede dress boots or suede shoes with rubber soles. There are some reasonably dressy ones around. Of course, it depends on how dressy you need to be where you work.

Also, when travelling to more rainy and snowy places for business, I tend to wear rubber soled dress boots, but I agree that they may not look great with suits: fortunately, my kind of business normally allows me to opt for a more "casual" look, with sport coat instead of suit.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wear my normal shoes. I've had them rained on loads of times and have seen zero negative effects, any dark spots disappear as they dry as long as you don't go and seal in the water by polishing them. I honestly don't see why people are so scared of wearing leather shoes in bad weather.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I just wear my normal shoes. I've had them rained on loads of times and have seen zero negative effects, any dark spots disappear as they dry as long as you don't go and seal in the water by polishing them. I honestly don't see why people are so scared of wearing leather shoes in bad weather.

Because English bad weather != Canadian bad weather.

HankRearden1

Reaction score
The problem with a Canadian winter isn't so much the snow; rather, it's the rock salt on the streets and sidewalks. It doesn't matter what sole you have on your shoe, the salt will get on the leather upper and that is NOT GOOD.

Like other's have said, get a pair of overshoes (Swims are nice, but overpriced....at least in Winnipeg they are). They might not look fantastic, but you'll be protecting your investment i.e. shoes.

WildeMan

Reaction score
I recommend step-in toe rubbers. These are not the Totes brand that you have to fiddle with --- you simply stick your toe in the front and step down.

They are expensive, about $75. In Toronto, they're available at Sloan's Shoes on Yonge Street north of Lawrence. I have been told other places that no such product exists, but it does.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Option 4: dress boots. EG Shannon or Vass or Carmina shell balmorals.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rider Boots are also a good option.

Seymour

Reaction score
If it's dirty slushy city streets you're having to trudge through, I would go for option 2 because you also protect any expensive trousers you may be wearing.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Option 2. You can find nice looking winter boots. If you wear decent shoes, the snow and salt will destroy them, not to mention they will make you do a faceplant on ice. PS. overshoes look ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33