Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shoes in Winter

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dagman1, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mjc

mjc Senior member

Option 2: Keep shoes at the office, wear boots to work.

Nothing is worse than wet socks in the winter...

Get some high-quality, manly, water-proof boots for trudges through the snow and slush. It's madness to pretend that shoes or overshoes are suitable for real winter.

I wear these leather hunting boots (with waterproof lining), and save the G&Gs for indoors.

Dress the part with a heavy wool overcoat and a fur hat. Boots work with that.

- Mike

2. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Option 4: dress boots. EG Shannon or Vass or Carmina shell balmorals.

The salt would destroy those.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have pairs of each and they are doing fine.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll have a really good post for this thread.

Ask Ron Rider when that post wil be arriving from Italy for me.

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I have pairs of each and they are doing fine.
    I don't know anywhere that has salt like eastern Canada. Did you do anything to them? ie Topy

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I have galoshes, but rarely wear them. In Southern Ontario, the little rubbery overshoes are usually sufficient, and I have a sort of intermediate pair that are a heavy rubber overshoe. Worst case, rock your Kaufman Sorels and carry the shoes in a bag.

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I live in an area that likes to put a lot of salt down in the winter and have ruined more than one pair of dress shoes because of it. Snow and slush is fine and can be cleaned off relatively easily, but a little bit of salt in the perforations or crevices of a pair of wingtips is hard to clean thoroughly and will do some real damage.

In the winter, I keep a pair of dress shoes at the office and wear boots to get there and to go home.

8. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Is the salt 3 inches deep? Are you walking through 8 inches of snow for 2 miles to get to work? All the people I know who require business dress either drive to work (garage to garage) or take public transportation and walk through well-maintained streets.

95% of the time salt will be on the surface of a paved street which has been snow-shoveled. There's not much risk of a gallon of saltwater pouring onto your $900 shoes.

If you don't like fussing with changing shoes, any storm-welted shoe with a rubber sole would be fine.

Personally I find the Swims option to be the worst. I would either wear some real boots or galoshes to work and keep dress shoes there, or wear some hardier dress shoes.

or just say fuckit. they are only shoes.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't know anywhere that has salt like eastern Canada. Did you do anything to them? ie Topy

Yes, some are Topy'd and the EG's have the Thames rubber sole.

10. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Is the salt 3 inches deep? Are you walking through 8 inches of snow for 2 miles to get to work? All the people I know who require business dress either drive to work (garage to garage) or take public transportation and walk through well-maintained streets.

I take mass transit and walk through well and not-so-well maintained streets. Usually, by the third snowfall there's so much salt it's inescapable. Snow falls on streets that have already been salted, it forms a highly saline slush.

I've sustained salt stains from winter rains because the sidewalk was so salty.

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I take mass transit and walk through well and not-so-well maintained streets. Usually, by the third snowfall there's so much salt it's inescapable. Snow falls on streets that have already been salted, it forms a highly saline slush.

Gladhands took the words right out of my mouth.

If the salt was only down on neatly maintained sidewalks and the slush/ice/water/snow drained quickly away into the gutters and the sewers, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, after a couple inches of snow many sidewalks and parking lots just become a pool of standing saltwater.

12. Montauk

Montauk Senior member

Word. I keep two pairs of old and slightly cracked pairs of shell longwings for the truly slushy days. No one notices their less-than-pristine condition.

As far as I'm concerned, shoe rubbers are in the same category as sock garters: makes a little sense in a very unsexy way.

13. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

95% of the time salt will be on the surface of a paved street which has been snow-shoveled. There's not much risk of a gallon of saltwater pouring onto your $900 shoes.

If you don't like fussing with changing shoes, any storm-welted shoe with a rubber sole would be fine.

Personally I find the Swims option to be the worst. I would either wear some real boots or galoshes to work and keep dress shoes there, or wear some hardier dress shoes.

or just say fuckit. they are only shoes.

I use Swims and get compliments on them all the time. I am not a big timer, so ruining $900 shoes is not something I would do. Ohio winters are nasty and salt gets everywhere...shoes, pants, jackets.

I would never take the chance of ruining nicer shoes to wear in the elements.

14. tjcam

tjcam Active Member

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Swims is also making a full galosh called the "Mobster" now too. I might get a pair. Already have the "dinner" for rain.

[​IMG]