• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor

Reaction score
Have they ever made a longwing boot? That would have been my entry. Just because I'm curious
wink.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Have they ever made a longwing boot? That would have been my entry. Just because I'm curious
wink.gif

Don't own any Aldens yet, but this would be my entry as well. Longwing boot, just a few speedhooks at the top, grey suede, natural colored leather sole. Plaza last?

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magic1
The boots are okay, not much better. I like boot #1, but wish it were on a different last. Boot #3 is nice. Boot #2 would be hideous--just think of it. I think natural chromexcel is an iffy color, and it certainly won't look good paired with the wingtip.
Few photos of the natural chromexcel actually do the leather justice, and it certainly seems to have a polarizing effect. I think they look great as shown in this photo, which I believe to be an accurate representation of them.
leffotnatchrom.jpg
(Photo from The Agatine Eyelet) What is surprising about the boot entries is the combinations of leathers with the brass eyelets. It is rare to see brass eyelets used with those two leathers, and they will definitely stand out by contrast. Again, The Agatine Eyelet made a nice compilation of Alden makeups featuring brass eyelets. In my opinion, the brass eyelets are polarizing just like the tone of the natural chromexcel. This should definitely make voting interesting, although it's too bad there doesn't seem to be a design that is a home run...

meadowstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Don't own any Aldens yet, but this would be my entry as well. Longwing boot, just a few speedhooks at the top, grey suede, natural colored leather sole. Plaza last?

I agree somewhat.

My idea was for a Longwing boot in navy blue with a double leather commando sole. I really liked the navy blue suede options from LS earlier in the summer, but figured navy blue chromexel would be more all year, easier to treat scuffing, and easier to take care of.

No speed hooks, laces all the way up with brass eyelets and natural trim on the Barrie last.

I figured it would be a nice alternative to a Trickers boot, a nice alternative to the basic brogues out there that everybody has, and a nice alternative to all the black and dark brown options.

Figured as well it would be something different mainly. I think the current finalists are more of the same as what's available now.

Then again, I was recently talking to Viberg and they can do a MTO navy blue chromexel service boot with double leather commando sole. And they're in Canada, so no customs hassle.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one

Sounds good - maybe nubuck - grey or blue/grey or off-black?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
wink.gif

Alden doesn't have the pattern available. I received a lot of entires for stuff that just wasn't available. It's not that we didn't think they were good ideas, it's just that we can't make them. No blue chromexcel, no austerity brogues, no balmoral boots, no chelsea boots, etc, etc, etc.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If not longwing, then a conventional wingtip plaza boot, like you did last month in Chromexcel, would be nice, I think. I would not want the commando sole as it does not mesh aesthetically with the delicate upper of a suede wingtip boot in a soft color like a medium'ish smoke grey suede. Double sole is nice but I think for something I'd want in my wardrobe, that I could turn to for more than a couple years, while being a bit 'younger' looking, this:
cwb1.jpg
in grey suede, would be just right. Maybe with speed hooks, maybe without, not critical. It could be 3 season, it'd dress up and down really well, and it'd be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads