1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugsy

Bugsy Well-Known Member

My Alden boots (top right and bottom row)

[​IMG]

Slab-
    nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.

2. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

3. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Slab-
    nice collection, can you tell us which are which? for the novice, thanks.

from top left to bottom right
    Red Wing 875
    Whites Semi Dress (for trade)
    Alden cordovan #8 jumper
    Alden calf kidskin cap toe boots
    Alden Roy chrome excel PTB
    Alden Indy (canvas lined)

All of the Aldens are on the Trubalance last, except the kidskin boots which are on the modified last.

4. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
    I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...

5. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable... I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...
    Asked and answered. Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.

6. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

Can anyone give a rundown on which lasts are the most comfortable...
    I know this is based on your foot, but like to see what people's opinions on comfort based on lasts...

I have a wider, flatter foot. I enjoy the Trubalance and the Hampton. I wish they made boots on the Hampton last. Barrie is okay too.

7. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Asked and answered.

Like you said, everybody's foot is different. For me, who has a wider foot, the Plaza and Aberdeen lasts just do not work. I tend to like the Grant and Barrie Lasts for shoes and TruBalance for a boot.

Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.

8. jolla

jolla Active Member

Dude, I am in the exact same boat. I love the trubalance - it is by far my favorite - but have boots and shoes on the grant that are comfortable, and my longwings and chukkas on the barrie are also good. For me, the plaza and hampton are ok, and I am not at all wild about aberdeen. It's long and narrow, neither of which suits me well. The van last absolutely doesn't work for me either.

My advice to novice Alden fans (not assuming anybody here is one, but just in case), for what it's worth, having made expensive fit mistakes, is that no matter how great Alden shoes look online and what the suggestions are on this forum, it's best to try shoes on in person to make sure you're comfortable in a given last before you drop serious dollars.

Completely agree, but one problem that I've run into (and very recently/expensively) is that what a boot feels like when you're trying it on is nothing like what it feels like in a week, month, or year. I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

9. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

this really is a decent plan

especially when starting off, buying used shoes is a whole lot safer and cheaper than experimenting with new

once you are 100% sure what your size is and what styles you want, I think you are safer doing things like pre-ordering and such

10. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

What colors pair up nicely with #8?
    What color belts do you guys wear with #8?

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

1. almost anything
    2. you can buy a color 8 belt, but I just roll with brown. its probably a crime but I like having fewer things

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

13. Stokely

Stokely Senior member

I think an exact match can be a bit much.

I agree with brown. Maybe a dark shade.....

14. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

I agree that #8 is extremely versatile. But I tend to think of it as more in the black family than in the brown. I would be more likely to wear a black belt with #8 shoes. But that is just me.

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I have a "merlot" belt from Allen Edmonds, which has just enough of a reddish tint to work with #8, but not enough to make it not work with other dark brown shoes. (IMHO)

16. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Alden dark tan cap toe boots w/single leather commando.
    [​IMG]

17. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I think my new thing is going to be to buy a bunch of different sizes and lasts of well-worn Aldens off of Ebay and dial this in once and for all.

don't go overboard on this, and I'll tell you why. While the labeled size of the shoes may be what you need, the original wearer's foot will likely be a different shape than yours. Anything that throws the heel to ball of foot length by more than a few mm will really make the shoes uncomfortable. After buying used Aldens off ebay for a while and only keeping 3 pairs out of 15-20 or so I've come across in my size, I know the value of getting a brand new pair and having them mold to your foot.

But if you can come across like new, hardly worn Aldens for a fraction of retail, by all means jump on it!

18. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchase my first good pair of boots. I don't really have any good casual shoes or boots but I have experience with quality dress shoes. I have lots of questions and hopefully I will be able to get some help. I did some research and went through a lot of this thread but I still need assistance it seems.

I am looking for year round wear type of boots for Ottawa weather. I would be wearing them in up to medium rain and light snow but I wouldn't wear them in full-fledged "slush". I really dig the look of the Indy boot, especially the Kudu Ultimate Indy Boot. I am hesitating between the Kudo Ultimate, the Ultimate and the 403. The 405 doesn't appeal to me that much simply because of the lining.

Am I right to think that the Kudo would resist the best the elements in which I want to wear these boots? It says that the sole is commando and leather, will that offer similar protection than commando soles? I really need my feet to stay dry in light snow and up to medium rain (but I would try not to walk in puddles).

Can someone better describe the difference in colors between the Kudo Ultimate, Ultimate and 403? They seem to be different in various pictures and I am colorblind which really doesn't help. I am looking to pair these with the latest Dry Bones X Sufu x SF x SelfEdge collaboration jeans. Does the Kudo seem like a good fit?

As far as sizing goes, I really don't know where I can try some Aldens around Ottawa. I am willing to drive as far as Montreal or Toronto if there is a shop that carries them.

Finally, my understanding is that the Kudo is a special run model. Will Leather Souls be making more in the future?

Thanks all

19. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I agree that #8 is extremely versatile. But I tend to think of it as more in the black family than in the brown. I would be more likely to wear a black belt with #8 shoes. But that is just me.

The original 'cordovan' color - burgundy - is most often paired with browns and some greys and blues, I think.

20. Salad

Salad Senior member

Maybe right out of the box but with time and exposure they're going to lean toward a mottled brown/red/burgundy. That's what I like about #8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.