• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yardsale
pretty much all the bags in here are too womanly. for me its Timbuk2, Porter, or Visvim.
covert-messenger.jpg
come the **** on, seriously? seriously?

Farhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
No need for apologies; it's a good question! Diaper bags are actually great; I like them often better than Messengers. They have more pockets, more spaces for storage, and are often slightly larger while having a more functional shape. They also generally have a spot in them for "bottles," which function great for carrying a bottle of water/soda or whatever.

What is your budget? That will help, as lots of brands make them, from lower priced all the way up to Prada (which makes a really nice, simple, functional one.) Lambertson truex also used to make a nice one, IIRC, but they've gone out of business.

I'd like to spend no more than $300. Label is unimportant with equal emphasis on both form & function.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
covert-messenger.jpg

come the **** on, seriously? seriously?

To be fair, bags like that, are meant to used by bike messengers. Waterproofing is the biggest need, followed closely by the ability to secure tightly on your back with little movement as your ride. They are actually great for that purpose.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Again, for each individual need/function, keeping that in mind, they're fine.

However, it's interesting that he posts that, in opposition to "feminine/womanly" bags, because from a design and materials standpoint (waterproofing aside), I see nothing to recommend.

Again, to each his own, but a person who buys a bag like that because they "like it" is NEVER going to see the appeal of this thread or "manbags." From the weird plastic buckles and stiff, icky nylon, to the weird circle motif thingy and TIMBUK2 logo right in the center, to the weird way the flap is rounded at the edges... it shows all the refinement of a Salem Witch Burning.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're just ahead of your time rach. Right now it's frowned upon, maybe in a decade most guys are walking around with purses, it's inevitable. We carry so many stuff that pockets are just not enough unless you got a gf(always handy).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
You're just ahead of your time rach. Right now it's frowned upon, maybe in a decade most guys are walking around with purses, it's inevitable. We carry so many stuff that pockets are just not enough unless you got a beard(always handy).
lol8[1].gif
FTFY. But, yeah, the first time a "manly man" feels the joys of not having his jean pockets distended from stuffing them full of stuff, and the joys of a bag made from the hide of an infant bull who was fed on grain, free to roam, and massaged daily until slaughter, with handles large enough to carry comfortably... he never goes back. p.s. in most places, the world over, it's not "frowned upon." It's just in certain sets in the USA where men have all the confidence of an eleven year old girl with braces and Rosacea.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
you got yourself one of those handy girlfriends yet Rach?

Well, not yet; you promised to introduce me to one (and, IIRC, purchase me a lapdance.)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Again, for each individual need/function, keeping that in mind, they're fine.

However, it's interesting that he posts that, in opposition to "feminine/womanly" bags, because from a design and materials standpoint (waterproofing aside), I see nothing to recommend.

Again, to each his own, but a person who buys a bag like that because they "like it" is NEVER going to see the appeal of this thread or "manbags." From the weird plastic buckles and stiff, icky nylon, to the weird circle motif thingy and TIMBUK2 logo right in the center, to the weird way the flap is rounded at the edges... it shows all the refinement of a Salem Witch Burning.

I actually like TIMBUK2 bags for the purpose they serve, but think it's ridiculous to post one in this thread. They belong here no more then a backpack designed for lengthy camping trips do.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics