The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rach2jlc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

pretty much all the bags in here are too womanly. for me its Timbuk2, Porter, or Visvim.
    [​IMG] come the fuck on, seriously? seriously?

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

[​IMG]

come the fuck on, seriously? seriously?

Agreed. That thing looks pretty awful. You could find better looking bags at Target.

3. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

No need for apologies; it's a good question! Diaper bags are actually great; I like them often better than Messengers. They have more pockets, more spaces for storage, and are often slightly larger while having a more functional shape. They also generally have a spot in them for "bottles," which function great for carrying a bottle of water/soda or whatever.

What is your budget? That will help, as lots of brands make them, from lower priced all the way up to Prada (which makes a really nice, simple, functional one.) Lambertson truex also used to make a nice one, IIRC, but they've gone out of business.

I'd like to spend no more than $300. Label is unimportant with equal emphasis on both form & function.

4. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

I'd like to spend no more than $300. Label is unimportant with equal emphasis on both form & function.

Again. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    [​IMG]

come the fuck on, seriously? seriously?

To be fair, bags like that, are meant to used by bike messengers. Waterproofing is the biggest need, followed closely by the ability to secure tightly on your back with little movement as your ride. They are actually great for that purpose.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^Again, for each individual need/function, keeping that in mind, they're fine.

However, it's interesting that he posts that, in opposition to "feminine/womanly" bags, because from a design and materials standpoint (waterproofing aside), I see nothing to recommend.

Again, to each his own, but a person who buys a bag like that because they "like it" is NEVER going to see the appeal of this thread or "manbags." From the weird plastic buckles and stiff, icky nylon, to the weird circle motif thingy and TIMBUK2 logo right in the center, to the weird way the flap is rounded at the edges... it shows all the refinement of a Salem Witch Burning.

7. entrero

entrero Senior member

You're just ahead of your time rach. Right now it's frowned upon, maybe in a decade most guys are walking around with purses, it's inevitable. We carry so many stuff that pockets are just not enough unless you got a gf(always handy).

8. rach2jlc

You're just ahead of your time rach. Right now it's frowned upon, maybe in a decade most guys are walking around with purses, it's inevitable. We carry so many stuff that pockets are just not enough unless you got a beard(always handy).
    [​IMG] FTFY. But, yeah, the first time a "manly man" feels the joys of not having his jean pockets distended from stuffing them full of stuff, and the joys of a bag made from the hide of an infant bull who was fed on grain, free to roam, and massaged daily until slaughter, with handles large enough to carry comfortably... he never goes back. p.s. in most places, the world over, it's not "frowned upon." It's just in certain sets in the USA where men have all the confidence of an eleven year old girl with braces and Rosacea.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

you got yourself one of those handy girlfriends yet Rach?

10. rach2jlc

you got yourself one of those handy girlfriends yet Rach?

Well, not yet; you promised to introduce me to one (and, IIRC, purchase me a lapdance.)

11. Jr Mouse

^Again, for each individual need/function, keeping that in mind, they're fine.

However, it's interesting that he posts that, in opposition to "feminine/womanly" bags, because from a design and materials standpoint (waterproofing aside), I see nothing to recommend.

Again, to each his own, but a person who buys a bag like that because they "like it" is NEVER going to see the appeal of this thread or "manbags." From the weird plastic buckles and stiff, icky nylon, to the weird circle motif thingy and TIMBUK2 logo right in the center, to the weird way the flap is rounded at the edges... it shows all the refinement of a Salem Witch Burning.

I actually like TIMBUK2 bags for the purpose they serve, but think it's ridiculous to post one in this thread. They belong here no more then a backpack designed for lengthy camping trips do.

12. Jr Mouse

[​IMG]

Classic. [​IMG]

13. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

14. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member