• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the handles, the lack of structure etc etc - it just looks like a handbag, pure and simple.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylin on you
This thread is gayer than the gayness of a gaylord of gaydon.

you will be the 1st to be raped when you undoubtedly go to prison

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
the handles, the lack of structure etc etc - it just looks like a handbag, pure and simple.
Meh, I give up. Though, I hardly see how for somebody like Uncontrol, or for others whose style is Rick Owens, AnnD, Julius, etc. how they would get a free pass if they came sporting Goth Ninja with SAB, or Filson, or Saddleback. To each his own style, that fits that style, confidently, without ridicule, was my purpose/goal with this whole thread. Anyway, I need to go clean out my purse.
Originally Posted by stylin on you
This thread is gayer than the gayness of a gaylord of gaydon.
No, srsly, I give up. You win. Too much of teh dumb makes teh Professore have a migraine.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Meh, I give up. Though, I hardly see how for somebody like Uncontrol, or for others whose style is Rick Owens, AnnD, Julius, etc. how they would get a free pass if they came sporting Goth Ninja with SAB, or Filson, or Saddleback. To each his own style, that fits that style, confidently, without ridicule, was my purpose/goal with this whole thread. Anyway, I need to go clean out my purse. No, srsly, I give up. You win. Too much of teh dumb makes teh Professore have a migraine.
1. i commented on exactly one bag in this thread, which, let's face it...if you put it in a store, right slap bang in the middle, menswear on the right, women on the left, most of the people who picked it up to check it out would be veering left...you can blame that on the ignorance of the market all you like, you can point out the history to the design and so on, you are far more of an authority on such things than I am, so I am sure that You Are Right, but even then, I don't especially care...don't go taking it personally...I'm just saying, I wouldn't carry it cos it looks like a purse. 2. i didn't get into the gay of the gay of the gay crap, you know me better than that. Personally I think people who make comments like that are overcompensating for some of the things they suspect about themselves on those quiet nights at home.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ I sent you a PM, matt. Anyway, no worries. It's just that I've wasted way more hours than I should trying to make this thread useful/varied in styling beyond just "FILSON!" and "VINTAGE RUGGED LEATHER SATCHEL" and so, yeah, I get a little touchy where I think I see dismissiveness. In other news, haven't had a chance to check these out yet (found this info below on another forum, link at bottom), but here apparently are the Tanneries that supply Hermes with their leathers. Any DIYers may want to give them a try: It seems there might be almost 8-12 tanneries in France from which Hermès might purchase leather. However, I believe these 5-6 are the main ones with the highest quality leather. - TANNERIE DEGERMANN - Makes Barenia for Hermès and Ralph Lauren. Barenia is their softest leather (though not soft enough for me!). Mr. Olivier Brunin - http://www.degermann.com/ - TANNERIES ROUX - Supplies Hermès Evercalf (though they call it a different name). They sell their 'Polo' leather to Hermès. Their 'Polo Hungary' is nice and soft, though thick. Mr. Sebastien Croidieu - http://www.tanneries-roux.com/ - TANNERIES DU PUY - Don't normally sell small quantities, but were willing to sell me one or two calf hides. VERY nice leather. They sell Hermès Evercalf as well. The best hides are for Hermès - 100 Euros or more per sq. meter. My price was 60 Euros per sq. meter (for hides of slightly lower quality than H.). 2-2.5 sq. meters/hide, or about 22 sq.ft. Mr. Didier Brocard - http://www.tanpuy.com/ - TANNERIE BODIN-JOYEUX - LAMBSKIN ONLY - where I bought my leather. THE BEST! They're the ONLY tannery which sells lambskin to Hermès (perhaps the only lambskin tannery in France). Over 250 colors, thickness ranges from 0.4-0.9mm. About 26 Euros per hide, though small hides (because it's lamb). It's $8.00 per sq.ft., with 6-7 sq.ft. per skin. I paid $292 for 3 full hides, which includes my shipping costs of 90 Euros (THAT'S the problem - shipping is A LOT to the U.S., but no problems with customs). They also applied an optional water-repellant finish (tiny cost). You need to buy more leather than you'll use, because not all of the hide is useable (around edges skin is wrinkled, etc.) Hermès only uses about 40% of each hide. Not sure if this also applies to calfskins. Mr. Patrick Couteau - http://www.bodinjoyeux.com/ - TANNERIE D'ANNONAY - THE NICEST CALFSKIN I FOUND. Beautiful, really supple swatches. Their Rusticalf is the softest - used by Tiffany for diaries, jewelry boxes, and by Hermès. It's $250 per hide, which is 22sq.ft. (7.5 Euros per sq.ft.). All these tanneries have large hide sizes (22sq.ft.); they say anything under 28sq.ft. is considered calfskin and the age or size of cow doesn't affect the softness; just the tanning technique. Mr. Mike Fenwick, export manager - http://www.tannerie-annonay.fr/ - TANNERIE ARNAL - They sell saddle leather to Hermès, but not soft leathers. However, they do make soft leathers for other clients. They were friendly and promised to send me samples, but after several phone conversations I never received their samples. Valerie - http://www.tannerie-arnal.fr/ - LEATHERFRANCE - The main French industry trade group for tanneries. They were helpful and gave some info on which tanneries to call. http://www.leatherfrance.com/ - TANNERIES HAAS - They appear to be the most important tannery for Hermès (and I think I read perhaps at least partially owner by Hermès). Won't sell small quantities, though; never got samples from them. http://www.tanneries-haas.com/ Original link/thread here: http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/lo...ty-436633.html For details/pics of the leather/hides itself (as sometimes the Hermes "names" don't tell you much), look here: http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-re...tml#post901974

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
you will be the 1st to be raped when you undoubtedly go to prison

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Meh, I give up. Though, I hardly see how for somebody like Uncontrol, or for others whose style is Rick Owens, AnnD, Julius, etc. how they would get a free pass if they came sporting Goth Ninja with SAB, or Filson, or Saddleback. To each his own style, that fits that style, confidently, without ridicule, was my purpose/goal with this whole thread. Anyway, I need to go clean out my purse.

No, srsly, I give up. You win. Too much of teh dumb makes teh Professore have a migraine.

I sent you a PM, matt. Anyway, no worries. It's just that I've wasted way more hours than I should trying to make this thread useful/varied in styling beyond just "FILSON!" and "VINTAGE RUGGED LEATHER SATCHEL" and so, yeah, I get a little touchy where I think I see dismissiveness.

Professor, what would we do without you? I have found this thread very useful, and I am sure many others have, too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this thread has really broadened my horizon. It's exciting to see the diversity.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Don't give up man, this is one if the more legitimately interesting threads on here. Too many people think that everything that's outside their own comfort zone is negative. And don't even get me started on equating feminine with negative.

I concur.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's the prevailing wisdom on late/current season Cucinelli? i stopped by their new store in Bal Harbour and handled a few of their duffels and messengers. leather feels super soft yet substantial to the touch, but i didn't have a chance to really look at the innards

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't give up man, this is one if the more legitimately interesting threads on here. Too many people think that everything that's outside their own comfort zone is negative. And don't even get me started on equating feminine with negative.
+ 1 Your the illest rach Also to all the haters: Rach knows his **** like crazy and is an awesome resource, dude is awesome. If your a gay hater or some garbage then GTFO of this dope threak, because your wasting space were people can be taught a lesson or ten.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who dares talk **** about the man bag thread?
smack.gif

This is my current manbag:

mybag.jpg

mybag3.jpg

I've been thinking about geting another, just because black doesn't match too well with some of my summer wardrobe.

I heard about Herz from this thread and have had this bag on my list for the past few months:

herz1.jpg

herz2.jpg

herz3.jpg

herz5.jpg

herz6.jpg

Any thoughts? Color preferences?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this and found it of interest.

tumblr_l8wc1oqBL91qbblino1_500.jpg

5351 Pour les Hommes "” Goatskin Boston "” Â¥47,250

http://keisshop.no-blog.jp/5351/2010/09/post_2921.html

some kind of sexy. I remember ASOS having a bag similar but for several hundred dollars more. Somebody was selling a Mulberry piccardly on the b/s forum here for about 500 too.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many bags does a man need?

I want to get one Filson bag and one Saddleback Leather bag.

Not sure which two though.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems like almost every designer has a HAC/Birkin clone these days though. Both manbags and womanbags

Howell31

Reaction score
dries van noten has some great bags, although i can't find photos of the patterned one Id like to post

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Some of the 'manly' men out there even equate cardigans as being feminine. I use a bowling bag as a gym bag because it fits my stuff nicely, but a lot of people think it's a purse because it's not a traditional duffle bag.

I browse through the thread from time to time and I can see you really spent the time and effort on it. Don't let some lame trolls deter you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads