• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dell U2410 Monitor or Apple 24 Cinema Display?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
And FYI: I'm using a Dell screen that I've had for about 5 years and I'm really happy with it (UltraSharp 1905FP - 19").
1905FP for the win! Also, it was well known that at least a while ago, there were ultrasharps using the exact same panels as the apple displays for half the price. I think the 1905fp may have been one (although the 1905 had maybe 3 panel revisions over its lifetime)
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Plasma's make terrible monitors. Rectangular pixels ftl.
Also only in the world of TV consumers is 1080p considered anywhere near a "good" resolution for a display more than 20 inches across.
hdtv.png
Alt Text: "We're also stuck with blurry, juddery, slow-panning 24fps movies forever because (thanks to 60fps home video) people associate high framerates with camcorders and cheap sitcoms, and thus think good framerates look 'fake'"

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'd wait till Black Friday if you can hold off. Bound to be better deals out there by then.

A lot of the monitors that used go up for sale on Black Friday are garbage for anything that requires high color precision or refresh rates, is this still the case?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
A lot of the monitors that used go up for sale on Black Friday are garbage for anything that requires high color precision or refresh rates, is this still the case?

I haven't seen much to disprove this...Then again, I've stopped trolling Black Friday deals in the last few years.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
J and I got our monitors on a day when Dell happened to have some pretty favorable stacked coupon codes on the website. Maybe you should look into that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7

Yes, black friday deals tend to be for people who are like "OMG AN XX" MONITOR FOR $100!!!" (just increase XX by one every year). The monitors are usually junk. There may be good monitors on sale at the same time but not really worth it. Instead do this:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
J and I got our monitors on a day when Dell happened to have some pretty favorable stacked coupon codes on the website. Maybe you should look into that.

I got my dell monitor off some crazy stacking as described by some poster on slickdeals (I knew I wanted one so I lurked for new monitor deals). It was along the lines of buying from the small business store, using some automated sale, buying a coupon for $1 on ebay, using some other promo code to add a printer to the cart (but it took off more than the value of the printer if you got the cheapest printer). Got me a great deal and a free ****** printer (which I think I eventually sold to somebody unopened for another $20-40).

Brian SD

Reaction score
The cinema displays are gorgeous but christ, they're expensive. I could only think of buying one if it was on company money and I could spring for that level of equipment. Dell monitors are pretty awesome for the money. I wish I had bought a Dell instead of an LG (which has had a ton of problems for me), though I suspect the Dell screens are LG-manufactured, anyway.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update:

I ended up getting neither since due to the integrated graphics card on my 4,1 Macbook, I am unable to run AutoCAD for OSX on my computer (it's Autodesk's fault, not Apple's). So, I will be getting a new 27" iMac whenever I acquire a new job.

In the meantime, I have bought an HP 2509b 25" monitor. It's TN... what do you expect for $200 on sale? However, the reviews I have read have been pretty good, and it has excellent black levels, I mean super dark for an LCD with CCFL. It's a glossy screen, which is good and bad, depending on what I am doing.

There is one massive prob with the monitor however, the stand is not height adjustable and the monitor is far too low on my desk. So I'm going to have to buy a VESA-compatible arm... good thing monoprice exists.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Plasma's make terrible monitors. Rectangular pixels ftl.
Plasmas are also rather prone to burn-in of static images, another good reason not to use them as PC monitors. Before long
windows%20xp%20start%20button.JPG
will be a permanent part of the monitor's image. They use plasma monitors for information at the local airport. Even when they're OFF, you can still clearly read 'Arrivals', 'Departures', 'Air China', 'Gate 2', 'Hohhot', 'Beijing'....
Air%20China.gif
...etc... all permanently burned into the plasma screens. I've even seen plasma TVs where the station ID logo is permanently burned into the screen, e.g. 'CCTV News'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads