Dell U2410 Monitor or Apple 24 Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Sep 16, 2010.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm thinking of getting a new 24" screen and am looking at the U2410 from Dell or the 24" Cinema Display from Apple. It will connect to a MacBook which has a miniDVI connection, thus the total price to connect each screen will be:

Apple: $800 for the monitor + $170 for a DVI to miniDisplayPort converter = $970

Dell: $500 for the monitor.

The Apple monitor has a built in camera, speaker and can power my MacBook via the magsafe charger, but can only connect via miniDisplayPort, thus the $170 converter. The Dell has DVI, VGA, composite, Component, DisplayPort and HDMI connectors, thus I don't need another converter, however it lacks a camera and speaker.

Which is the better monitor in terms of display quality? Is the Apple screen worth the additional $470?

2. celery

celery Senior member

3. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Senior member

4. Butter

Butter Senior member

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

How bout one of these for a lot less? The ASUS for $219 looks good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=Top%20Sellers

That Asus is a TN panel. No bueno.

Go for the Dell. Everyone I know who bought the apple displays regretted it as it's too damn expensive for what you get.

7. Incman

Incman Senior member

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

$170 for a converter? [​IMG] That's insane. Unless I'm missing something, monoprice has those for like $10. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    That's not a miniDVI to mini DisplayPort. [​IMG] You might be able to get a miniDVI to DVI adapter, then use an DVI to Mini DP adapter though. EDIT (I felt like I should say something. You probably expect/were hoping I would): As an Apple follower, aren't you supposed to unquestioningly drop the money for a new laptop with a mini DisplayPort because that's what Apple wants? Why are you even considering a Dell Monitor? You know that Apple products are at least $400 better than any other product, or you wouldn't have bought Apple in the first place! I mean, it's not like you can't sell your old laptop for five bucks less than you bought it for or whatever. If you don't play along with Apple's progressive sales/upgrade path, pretty soon you will be left unsupported.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's not a miniDVI to mini DisplayPort. [​IMG] You might be able to get a miniDVI to DVI adapter, then use an DVI to Mini DP adapter though. EDIT (I felt like I should say something. You probably expect/were hoping I would): As an Apple follower, aren't you supposed to unquestioningly drop the money for a new laptop with a mini DisplayPort because that's what Apple wants? Why are you even considering a Dell Monitor? You know that Apple products are at least $400 better than any other product, or you wouldn't have bought Apple in the first place! I mean, it's not like you can't sell your old laptop for five bucks less than you bought it for or whatever. If you don't play along with Apple's progressive sales/upgrade path, pretty soon you will be left unsupported.
    I really wasn't waiting for you to say anything, positive or negative. And it seems that you really haven't read everything I have written, because there are a more than a few times when I have bitched and moaned regarding stupid things that Apple / Steve Mobs, um, Jobs has done. I don't blindly follow Apple, you just assumed that I do and thus categorized me as such. Preference does not equal unblinding loyalty. Regarding the conversion, apparently there is no way to directly transfer a DVI signal to miniDisplayPort. Thus the converter is needed: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html Chalk it up as an utterly bonehead move by Apple. All they needed to do was have a miniDisplayPort and a DVI connection on the Cinema Display-series of screens. And FYI: I'm using a Dell screen that I've had for about 5 years and I'm really happy with it (UltraSharp 1905FP - 19").

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

I'd go with the Dell. It's cheaper overall, and has decent picture quality (judging by the ones we have here in the office). Also, the Apple has no built-in picture controls, so if you want to calibrate your monitor, you'll have to do it on the Macbook's video card, which has only 8 bits per channel, and calibration will reduce their range even further.

--Andre

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

the apple display is almost never worth it, and i'm a huuge apple fanboy. think about it you could get a refurbished 27" iMac straight from the apple online store (that even qualifies for applecare) for less than $1,300 ($1,269). the $400 savings compared with the dell monitor can be added onto the $900 you plan on spending to get a whole new 27" iMac. http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTU3ODU5MzY http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...deals/mac/imac
    But, I never mentioned that I saw going to buy a new iMac... in fact I'm trying to buy the screen so I can utilize a larger, more modern display without having to replace a perfectly functioning computer. However, it would be cheaper to buy this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB...co=MTU0MzQ5Mjk Than to buy the 24" Cinema Display + the converter. [​IMG]

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I really wasn't waiting for you to say anything, positive or negative. And it seems that you really haven't read everything I have written, because there are a more than a few times when I have bitched and moaned regarding stupid things that Apple / Steve Mobs, um, Jobs has done. I don't blindly follow Apple, you just assumed that I do and thus categorized me as such. Preference does not equal unblinding loyalty. Regarding the conversion, apparently there is no way to directly transfer a DVI signal to miniDisplayPort. Thus the converter is needed: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-...r-p-17859.html Chalk it up as an utterly bonehead move by Apple. All they needed to do was have a miniDisplayPort and a DVI connection on the Cinema Display-series of screens. And FYI: I'm using a Dell screen that I've had for about 5 years and I'm really happy with it (UltraSharp 1905FP - 19").
    Get a fucking grip. Its a goddamn joke. (and yet, also contains truth)

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Get a fucking grip. Its a goddamn joke. (and yet, also contains truth)
    Whoa... relax there skippy. Teh interwebz is no serious business. I think I'm going to get the Dell screen, it seems to be the better value for the money, plus it's VESA compatible, so I can hook it up on a good arm. Actually can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive monitor arm?

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member