• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Apple monitor compatible with Apple aesthetics?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£600+ for an Apple cinema display to hook up my MacBook (soon to be upgraded to a MBPro) seems too much. What are some good options for a decent-looking, full HD, 22-24'' monitor?

I'm not looking for something matchy-matchy, but rather for a screen that would coordinate with the Apple laptop, keyboard and mouse like a pocket square or a tie go with the rest of the day's clothes. For instance, I think that my Apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse [sic] go well with my black MacBook, even though they don't 'match'.

Cheers.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are you on drugs suddenly?

- B

Worse: paper deadline day after tomorrow. Major journal, absolutely no motivation. I'd come up with anything to procrastinate -- the paroxystically idiotic the better. I appreciate your concern though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Worse: paper deadline day after tomorrow. Major journal, absolutely no motivation. I'd come up with anything to procrastinate -- the paroxystically idiotic the better. I appreciate your concern though.

I just lit a candle for you.

- B

scribbles

Reaction score
£600+ for an Apple cinema display to hook up my MacBook (soon to be upgraded to a MBPro) seems too much. What are some good options for a decent-looking, full HD, 22-24'' monitor?

I'm not looking for something matchy-matchy, but rather for a screen that would coordinate with the Apple laptop, keyboard and mouse like a pocket square or a tie go with the rest of the day's clothes. For instance, I think that my Apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse [sic] go well with my black MacBook, even though they don't 'match'.

Cheers.

Don't bother until you update to the MBpro. Your Macbook will **** a brick if you try to hook it up to a monitor that big. I speak from experience.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
Don't bother until you update to the MBpro. Your Macbook will **** a brick if you try to hook it up to a monitor that big. I speak from experience.

Because of the crappy native resolution?

Anyway, I'm getting a MBP 13'' (is it worth getting the one with the faster processor clock -- 2.66 instead of 2.44, I think?). What's my monitor going to be?

terrylondon

Reaction score
I've been using my MacBook 2.4GHz from 2007 with a 21.5" Asus LCD at 1920x1080 for over a year now. It requires an adapter, but they're cheap from monoprice.com. It runs just fine but I need to upgrade into a MBP to get get CS5 running comfortably.

ap10046

Reaction score
Because of the crappy native resolution?

Anyway, I'm getting a MBP 13'' (is it worth getting the one with the faster processor clock -- 2.66 instead of 2.44, I think?). What's my monitor going to be?

I use the 2.26 Ghz version of the Unibody 13" MBP and it is PLENTY quick. I did need to upgrade the HDD though. Got a good deal on a 500GB 7200RPM and it took all of 15 mins to clone and retrofit.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old is your mbpro? If it has a dvi port should be able to output to at least 2048 x 1536. The newer ones (3 yrs old maybe) can power dual-link dvi resolutions up to 2560 x 1600. Samsung has nice 22" LCDs for $200-$250, you can even get a LED 23" Samsung for $330.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by terrylondon
I've been using my MacBook 2.4GHz from 2007 with a 21.5" Asus LCD at 1920x1080 for over a year now. It requires an adapter, but they're cheap from monoprice.com. It runs just fine but I need to upgrade into a MBP to get get CS5 running comfortably.
+1 Get a mini-displayport to HDMI adaptor from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...2802&p_id=5311 and use analog 3.5 mm stereo audio. Don't be concerned by the low native resolution of the Macbook display,the video output to an external display will do full HD 1920x1080 and much higher.I had a standard Macbook 2.2 ghz with 1 gb ram running 10.5.8 hooked up to a Samsung 55" 8500 LED backlit 1080p 240hz display and it looked beautiful.If you want to hook it up to an AV receiver or must use digital audio you can use a mini-displayport to HDMI video and USB or toslink audio,although these 2 adaptors are more expensive than the analog audio setup above but have audio and video on HDMI for a single connector input to the display. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...2802&p_id=5969 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 You can use any monitor,tv,or other display that you want.

scribbles

Reaction score
^^ If you are just looking to use your MB as a video source, as in for watching movies then you will be fine hooking it up to a large screen. The problem with most regular macbooks is the anemic integrated video card (The newest version doesn't suffer from this flaw, but I haven't really played with it too much due to the MBpro) W/o the dedicated video card, if you are attempting to run dual screens (especially one of that size) while doing any meaningful amount of work there just isn't enough power behind the hardware to keep up with the demands.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've got an early 2007 MacBook (black), core 2 duo, 2ghz (I think), 4gb ram. I'll update to a MBPro 13'' (not sure which clock speed to go for) shortly. My use is fairly light: word processing (MS Word and Scrivener), browsing, reference management software, PPT.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
^^ If you are just looking to use your MB as a video source, as in for watching movies then you will be fine hooking it up to a large screen. The problem with most regular macbooks is the anemic integrated video card (The newest version doesn't suffer from this flaw, but I haven't really played with it too much due to the MBpro) W/o the dedicated video card, if you are attempting to run dual screens (especially one of that size) while doing any meaningful amount of work there just isn't enough power behind the hardware to keep up with the demands.
If he just wants to run an external monitor I would only run an output to it and not drive 2 displays at once,this is where the GPU won't keep up.He's got 4 gigs of ram and his apps aren't very demanding(see previous post from OP directly above).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads