• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Recently had some Rosenblum, Novy Family, and DuMol. The DuMol was way overprice, but I wasn't buying, so
cheers.gif
. I would say that any from the Russian River Valley, from a winery with some history, would probably be pretty drinkable.

DuMol V is overpriced, but very ******* good. Other Sonoma County goodies are Sine Qua Non (super pricey but who knows if you're a baller or not) and Pride Mountain (around fifty clams). Alban is also supposed to be good for around 40, but I've never tried t. For cheaper, Iron Horse makes a drinkable V.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Viognier can be a tricky wine - often times gorgeous on the nose but totally flat on the palate. Lately I've been avoiding them with the hopes of minimalizing disappointment.

And Alban was mentioned - I had one of their fancy syrah wines once. WAY too over the top for me. I could see why some people would like it, but I just found it too far out of balance to be enjoyable.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
And Alban was mentioned - I had one of their fancy syrah wines once. WAY too over the top for me. I could see why some people would like it, but I just found it too far out of balance to be enjoyable.
Yeah. He has a reputation around the area for being all fruit and nothing else. Supposedly still good wines though.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah. He has a reputation around the area for being all fruit and nothing else. Supposedly still good wines though.

It was very complex and interesting - intense nutmet and black tea and lots of ripe berry flavors. But there was just so MUCH of it and the alc was so high, any notion of subtle and balance was thrown out the door. In the end, it just tasted like berry flavored tea with nutmeg, wood, and then infused with a few shots of Stoli.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It was very complex and interesting - intense nutmet and black tea and lots of ripe berry flavors. But there was just so MUCH of it and the alc was so high, any notion of subtle and balance was thrown out the door. In the end, it just tasted like berry flavored tea with nutmeg, wood, and then infused with a few shots of Stoli.

Hmmm... I must be thinking about a different edna valley producer then, because the one I'm thinking of was anything but complex.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful, guys. I'm not seeing much 'middle-of-the-road' for Viognier...

Here is was Parker had to say about the Alban 2007 Estate Viognier (edna valley)...
As for the white wines, the 2007 Viognier Estate appears to be the finest example of this cuvee they have yet made. The good news is that there are around 350 cases. It is not your typical blowsy Viognier, but one with strong minerality, excellent precision, and super-intense, concentrated, honeysuckle, apricot, and peach-like notes. Dazzling acid levels and the mineral component ooze throughout this wine, giving it tremendous character, personality, and complexity. I doubt it will age long as this varietal tends to oxidize quickly, but for drinking over the next several years, this is a terrific Viognier. 93 points" - Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate #177

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Hm..... Might be Talley. I remember that I only went to the Central Coast for one day and for some reason, that day, I decided not to spit after tasting the wines
shog[1].gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
WTH producer am I thinking of?
puzzled.gif

fruit bomb, over extracted, unbalanced, and overpriced ... why that could mean thousands of California producers
laugh.gif
devil.gif

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm..... Might be Talley. I remember that I only went to the Central Coast for one day and for some reason, that day, I decided not to spit after tasting the wines
shog[1].gif

<< insert spit or swallow joke here >>

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
fruit bomb, over extracted, unbalanced, and overpriced ... why that could mean thousands of California producers
laugh.gif
devil.gif

Sad but true, and even more sad--- it's not just California anymore
Originally Posted by tattersall
<< insert spit or swallow joke here >>
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i had a rosenblum late harvest viognier. that was quite quite delicious.

I went to their tasting room. They have some interesting stickies. Also, some damn fine Zin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads