The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Recently had some Rosenblum, Novy Family, and DuMol. The DuMol was way overprice, but I wasn't buying, so [​IMG]. I would say that any from the Russian River Valley, from a winery with some history, would probably be pretty drinkable.
    DuMol V is overpriced, but very fucking good. Other Sonoma County goodies are Sine Qua Non (super pricey but who knows if you're a baller or not) and Pride Mountain (around fifty clams). Alban is also supposed to be good for around 40, but I've never tried t. For cheaper, Iron Horse makes a drinkable V.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Viognier can be a tricky wine - often times gorgeous on the nose but totally flat on the palate. Lately I've been avoiding them with the hopes of minimalizing disappointment.

And Alban was mentioned - I had one of their fancy syrah wines once. WAY too over the top for me. I could see why some people would like it, but I just found it too far out of balance to be enjoyable.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

And Alban was mentioned - I had one of their fancy syrah wines once. WAY too over the top for me. I could see why some people would like it, but I just found it too far out of balance to be enjoyable.
    Yeah. He has a reputation around the area for being all fruit and nothing else. Supposedly still good wines though.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Yeah. He has a reputation around the area for being all fruit and nothing else. Supposedly still good wines though.

It was very complex and interesting - intense nutmet and black tea and lots of ripe berry flavors. But there was just so MUCH of it and the alc was so high, any notion of subtle and balance was thrown out the door. In the end, it just tasted like berry flavored tea with nutmeg, wood, and then infused with a few shots of Stoli.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

It was very complex and interesting - intense nutmet and black tea and lots of ripe berry flavors. But there was just so MUCH of it and the alc was so high, any notion of subtle and balance was thrown out the door. In the end, it just tasted like berry flavored tea with nutmeg, wood, and then infused with a few shots of Stoli.

Hmmm... I must be thinking about a different edna valley producer then, because the one I'm thinking of was anything but complex.

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

This is very helpful, guys. I'm not seeing much 'middle-of-the-road' for Viognier...

Here is was Parker had to say about the Alban 2007 Estate Viognier (edna valley)...

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

WTH producer am I thinking of? [​IMG]

8. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Talley? Bishop's Peak?

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Hm..... Might be Talley. I remember that I only went to the Central Coast for one day and for some reason, that day, I decided not to spit after tasting the wines [​IMG]

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

fruit bomb, over extracted, unbalanced, and overpriced ... why that could mean thousands of California producers [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Hm..... Might be Talley. I remember that I only went to the Central Coast for one day and for some reason, that day, I decided not to spit after tasting the wines [​IMG]

<< insert spit or swallow joke here >>

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

fruit bomb, over extracted, unbalanced, and overpriced ... why that could mean thousands of California producers [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sad but true, and even more sad--- it's not just California anymore
    << insert spit or swallow joke here >>
    [​IMG]

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i had a rosenblum late harvest viognier. that was quite quite delicious.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

i had a rosenblum late harvest viognier. that was quite quite delicious.

I went to their tasting room. They have some interesting stickies. Also, some damn fine Zin.