Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

the viognier chat earlier had me wanting some condrieu tonight, so teh GF and I planned to go out for dinner. I am still at the office. She is still at the office. [​IMG]

3. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

the viognier chat earlier had me wanting some condrieu tonight, so teh GF and I planned to go out for dinner.

I am still at the office. She is still at the office. [​IMG]

That is definitely [​IMG]
    We've enjoyed a few Condrieu - Domaine Cuilleron and Gangloff were both great.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

the viognier chat earlier had me wanting some condrieu tonight, so teh GF and I planned to go out for dinner.

I am still at the office. She is still at the office. [​IMG]

Sorry to hear this. I am just emailing Chef to see what he's making for tomorrow's wine tasting and what the Somm is featuring.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Olivier Savary VV 2007. Nice.

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Tonight was 2006 Domaine Tempier Bandol - just the regular bottling - paired with filet mignon [​IMG] grilled over a wood fire with just salt and pepper.

Waiting in the foyer: case of 2007 Domaine les Pallieres Les Racines and a case of 2007 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe. Both are supposed to be epic for this year.

7. itsstillmatt

Tonight was 2006 Domaine Tempier Bandol - just the regular bottling - paired with filet mignon [​IMG] grilled over a wood fire with just salt and pepper.

Waiting in the foyer: case of 2007 Domaine les Pallieres Les Racines and a case of 2007 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe. Both are supposed to be epic for this year.

I just brought some wine home from storage. Looked at a case of the Racines and a case of the VT and decided to let them sit awhile longer. I should probably grab a bottle out soon. How was the Tempier. I just love their wines. They make me feel happy.

8. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

The Tempier was great - full of ripe plum and an almost kirsch-like nose. A nice spicy-ness too which went well with the meal. I've got some bottles of their Migoua and La Tourtine which I'll be eager to compare with.

My wife has pronounced les Pallieres as our house red, which is fine with me! I know I should sit on the VT but I'm very curious. I have older bottles of each which we'll finish before teh 07s.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Damn. $40 for a "house red" is pretty ballin'.

10. itsstillmatt

The Tempier was great - full of ripe plum and an almost kirsch-like nose. A nice spicy-ness too which went well with the meal. I've got some bottles of their Migoua and La Tourtine which I'll be eager to compare with.

My wife has pronounced les Pallieres as our house red, which is fine with me! I know I should sit on the VT but I'm very curious. I have older bottles of each which we'll finish before teh 07s.

I actually prefer the cuvee classique to the migoua and tourtine, and would if the prices were the same. It isn't so much that I think it is a better wine, but the classique is so quintessentially Bandol that it is perfect. Pallieres is a great wine. I think the best of its type, or at least the best I have had. I am not sold on their splitting the vineyard, but we shall see. Your wife is a good woman. BTW, your taste is not so different from mine, it seems. I just picked up a case of Clape Cornas Renaissance, which is his younger vine label, based on a bottle I had last week. Awesome stuff. The other labeling, the standard one, is great, but it is so thick and so rich that it needs 20 years. You might check Renaissance out. It isn't cheap, but not wildly expensive either.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i found the les Pallieres at the store right next to me, actually, and I've been meaning to give it a try. Will report back when I do.

12. itsstillmatt

i found the les Pallieres at the store right next to me, actually, and I've been meaning to give it a try. Will report back when I do.
    It's a different style Rhone. Old style. Nice. I think you'd like it.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

indeed. the non-CdR, Cote-Rotie, Hermitage, and CdPape rhone reds are pretty unexplored for me. I still love Cote-Rotie and Hermitage, but last half dozen or so CdPapes I've tasted have all been disappointing and overdone. Most were 2007's, I don't recall them being as ripe in the past.

14. itsstillmatt

indeed. the non-CdR, Cote-Rotie, Hermitage, and CdPape rhone reds are pretty unexplored for me. I still love Cote-Rotie and Hermitage, but last half dozen or so CdPapes I've tasted have all been disappointing and overdone. Most were 2007's, I don't recall them being as ripe in the past.
    Prices have gotten so high that exploring can be painful. I remember when Chave Hermitage was around $70 a bottle, now it is in the multiple hundreds for a good vintage. Try some of the Clape wines as well. They are fantastic. Even the CdR. Anent your Condrieu discussion, I find white Rhones to be very flabby much of the time. I pretty much avoid them now.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Flabby is your big wine pet peeve eh?