• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Audi A7

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Yeah, like the S4, which won every single performance metric against the 335 and C class
facepalm.gif

The previous generation A8 was cheaper than the 7 series and S class, and faster. Same with the previous generation S4 (V8 one), which was marginally slower than the M3 but significantly cheaper.

The current A5 and A8 are really the only underpowered ones (and this new A7 thingy).

None of those cars match in price, and the Audi is still more expensive, and in the case of something like the S5 vs 335iS (which are closer in price, but the BMW is still probably a tad cheaper), then it's still gonna go straight to the BMW, every time. The S4 is too expensive for what is, and the RS4 is way too expensive for what it is... and people think the M3 is expensive....

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
None of those cars match in price, and the Audi is still more expensive, and in the case of something like the S5 vs 335iS (which are closer in price, but the BMW is still probably a tad cheaper), then it's still gonna go straight to the BMW, every time. The S4 is too expensive for what is, and the RS4 is way too expensive for what it is... and people think the M3 is expensive....
The S4 is less than $4000 more than the 335xi, and to get an even remotely similarly equipped 335 you're looking at the same price or even more expensive (even if you go with the cheaper 335i). All of the stuff standard on the S4 is optional on the 335. And of course, it won every single car and driver (and the like) comparison with the 335. I'd hardly call it overpriced. And again, my point stands about the previous generation A8 as well (Audi dropped the ball on this generation). The S5 is definitely overpriced though.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, I hear that the transmissions to the A4 suck, and from first hand experience, we had to deal with replacing a transmission with an A4 that only had 80,000 miles on it. I'm not sure if this extends to other Audi models, but based on the whole experience, I would not buy an Audi. Maybe I'd lease one, but my view of the company has soured.

I'm sure significant issues also arise in BMWs, Mercedez, etc., but not having owned one, I don't feel like we were f*cked by them.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Generally, I hear that the transmissions to the A4 suck, and from first hand experience, we had to deal with replacing a transmission with an A4 that only had 80,000 miles on it. I'm not sure if this extends to other Audi models, but based on the whole experience, I would not buy an Audi. Maybe I'd lease one, but my view of the company has soured.

I'm sure significant issues also arise in BMWs, Mercedez, etc., but not having owned one, I don't feel like we were f*cked by them.

Just never mention "subframe crack" to a M3 owner!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

My A4 (I think it was an 04 model) 1.8T had a crankcase ventilation problem with blowback that eventually caused premature engine failure; apparently it was a common problem that was remedied with new crate engines by the dealers, if people showed up with receipts for regular oil changes (as I did) - even from Jiffy Lube or neighborhood joints, to prove it was the manufacturer's fault. This probably applied to the Passat as well as non-USA models that had the longitudinal 1.8T as well. Dealer installed cost on a crate 1.8T is like $10K, that is like going to a Honda dealer with your 2001 Civic with a blown engine and having them quote you $6000 to put a new DX engine in, plus the Audi's are pretty easy to do work on since the front crossmembers just unbolt off.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was all set to love the A7 but I don't really think much from the photos. I'd believe you if you'd said it was a new VW or the new Nissan Maxima. The back end looks just like the VW CC and the front isn't much different from the current A6. I'm sure it's fabulous in the flesh but I'm underwhelmed by the pictures.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like the look of the A7. It has a modern fastback quality to it.
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
My A4 (I think it was an 04 model) 1.8T had a crankcase ventilation problem with blowback that eventually caused premature engine failure; apparently it was a common problem that was remedied with new crate engines by the dealers, if people showed up with receipts for regular oil changes (as I did) - even from Jiffy Lube or neighborhood joints, to prove it was the manufacturer's fault. This probably applied to the Passat as well as non-USA models that had the longitudinal 1.8T as well. Dealer installed cost on a crate 1.8T is like $10K, that is like going to a Honda dealer with your 2001 Civic with a blown engine and having them quote you $6000 to put a new DX engine in, plus the Audi's are pretty easy to do work on since the front crossmembers just unbolt off.
It's hard to take this post seriously after reading that you weren't sure about what year your A4 was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads