• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus
I'm jealous, I love Dans Tes Bras - but cant justify the price for the bottle..
Amazing fragrance though.

I don't actually own a whole bottle of Dans Tes Bras either. I got a decant from The Perfumed Court, which is a pretty good option if you want a high-priced fragrance but can't afford a whole bottle. It's a bit pricey, but it does enable you to wear fragrances that would otherwise be out of your range.

I'm wearing L'Artisan Mure et Musc today. Does anyone else have strong color associations with different fragrances? Whenever I wear purple I find myself reaching for Mure et Musc. (The label for that one is purple, so there's nothing too mysterious about that association.) When I wear brown, my first impulse is to go with leathery fragrances like Bel Ami.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm wearing L'Artisan Mure et Musc today. Does anyone else have strong color associations with different fragrances? Whenever I wear purple I find myself reaching for Mure et Musc. (The label for that one is purple, so there's nothing too mysterious about that association.) When I wear brown, my first impulse is to go with leathery fragrances like Bel Ami.
You think maybe its due to the fact the the label for Mure is purple and BelAmi is brown?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I really WANTED to like Mure et Musc. I had a whole bottle, and used only a tiny bit before trading it off. I just couldn't get into it. Nevertheless, I definitely get the "purple" reference. Though, honestly, with bel ami, i think of a darkish blood orange red, or almost terracotta color. For brown, I think of Knize Ten or MPG Parfum d'habit. For very dark brown, almost black, definitely a Montale Oud. Light brown, a suede scent, like Daim Blonde. Or Lubin Daimo, a long-discontinued scent of which I have a secret supply in a wine cooler, hidden away. I think color associations, though, are fun. I wonder what color would be McQueen Kingdom? Probably some sort of raunchy pink.
devil.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ hmm, yeah I think you're on to something with the color associations. Kingdom, though, strikes me more as fuschia with baby-poop yellow-brown at the edges. Bel Ami I think of as a brown scent, which might be why I seldom wear it. Chergui I take as wine-colored, but that could be because the actual juise is so dark!

BTW: wearing the first of three new acquisitions: Kiehl's Musk. I had a bad case of WANT for this and found someone who would swap their unloved bottle with me. Also in the on-deck circle: Anvers 2 and Chergui.

gotju

Reaction score
Through Ebay, bought two 8 oz bottles of Dior Intense Homme and Aoud Black Wood (YAY!). I have to say, I am in love with both fragrances (thanks Thomas for the earlier recommendations way back). The weather here was hot for awhile and cooled down considerably in the last few days(probably for a momentary period of time), so I took the opportunity to wear the Aoud as I was reading that it has a potent flavor once applied. WOW it certainly does...guess the body heat is great for this one huh? The Homme has a powdery scent that I can't quite put my finger on (as i'm new to the world of trying on different collognes.) Both definitely got more attention from passerbys via work or on the street.

Buying fragrances could be addicting...uh oh...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^ hmm, yeah I think you're on to something with the color associations. Kingdom, though, strikes me more as fuschia with baby-poop yellow-brown at the edges. Bel Ami I think of as a brown scent, which might be why I seldom wear it. Chergui I take as wine-colored, but that could be because the actual juise is so dark! BTW: wearing the first of three new acquisitions: Kiehl's Musk. I had a bad case of WANT for this and found someone who would swap their unloved bottle with me. Also in the on-deck circle: Anvers 2 and Chergui.
I like Kiehl's Musk. It is definitely earth, but wearable. Sort of a happy medium between one of those bland dull skin scents and MKK.
lol8[1].gif
There was a time when Marshall's/TJMaxx was clearing this stuff out; the bottles were everywhere. TO GOTJU ABOVE: How in the world did you find 8oz of each of those? Share your sources with your SF-brethren.
wink.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm wearing Givenchy Vetiver, from the sample box. It came from a bag with a lot of interesting scents, a lot of Luckyscent samples. Kudos to whoever put that particular bag of samples in. This Givenchy is very nice but I'm not sure if it adds anything to the vetiver universe.

Speaking of the box, man, is it a bad time of year to sample scents. It's been brutally hot here (though it cooled off today) and so many of the samples in there are heavy winter scents. I put a few drops of Czech and Speake Dark Rose on my hand - that one is very nice but again, I don't need another deep dark rosey oud scent that's as expensive as the Montales and harder to find. Somebody needs to design a department store version of that style.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotju
(...)

Buying fragrances could be addicting...uh oh...

...welcome to my world of furtively received packages.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I like Kiehl's Musk. It is definitely earth, but wearable. Sort of a happy medium between one of those bland dull skin scents and MKK.
lol8[1].gif
There was a time when Marshall's/TJMaxx was clearing this stuff out; the bottles were everywhere.

TO GOTJU ABOVE: How in the world did you find 8oz of each of those? Share your sources with your SF-brethren.
wink.gif

I passed on a bottle at TJM a few years back, figuring I wasn't into musk. This, though is quite good, although it does take on a mild resinous buzzing not dissimilar to mosquito repellant. This bottle that I have ought to last me forever, if not longer.

Originally Posted by Baron
I'm wearing Givenchy Vetiver, from the sample box. It came from a bag with a lot of interesting scents, a lot of Luckyscent samples. Kudos to whoever put that particular bag of samples in. This Givenchy is very nice but I'm not sure if it adds anything to the vetiver universe.

Speaking of the box, man, is it a bad time of year to sample scents. It's been brutally hot here (though it cooled off today) and so many of the samples in there are heavy winter scents. I put a few drops of Czech and Speake Dark Rose on my hand - that one is very nice but again, I don't need another deep dark rosey oud scent that's as expensive as the Montales and harder to find. Somebody needs to design a department store version of that style.

Yep, I thought the same: a hybrid of Guerlain's and F. Malle's vetivers. Good if you don't already have one, though.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You think maybe its due to the fact the the label for Mure is purple and BelAmi is brown?

Certainly for Mure et Musc and probably for Bel Ami. On the other hand, Purple Patchouli isn't purple to me, but rather champagne colored. Secretions Magnifiques is silver, even though none of the supposed secretions referenced in the title are that color (unless something has gone very wrong, I suppose). Dans Tes Bras is lavender.

I'm wearing Le Labo Rose 31 today.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Friday and yesterday - more Kiehl's Musk, although towards the evening I switched to Bay Rum with a twist and today it's more bay rum.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to Aedes de Venustas in NYC and tried a whole bunch of stuff. Walked out with spritzes of Kyoto and Avignon to compare, plus a shriptz of Essentric Molecules #1 (Pure IsoE).

Their self-titled L'Artisan (Duchaufour) is quite nice. I'm going to sample that and maybe come back to it.

Sigh, so many frags, so little skin (and money).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Sigh, so many frags, so little skin (and money).
Amen Just got my new GQ and there is a piece from Chandler Burr. His 5 recommendations for new fall frags: Chanel Bleu Marc Jacobs Bang Ralph Lauren Big Pony Collection 2 Dolce and Gabanna The One Gentleman Diptyque Eau Duelle

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find Burr's recommendations to be unreliable, and his fragrance writing is awful. It's the worst kind of meaningless, florid drivel. I do like his regular journalism.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron

You are welcome
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads