• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else seeing a bit too much black worn at weddings?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this quite a bit in the last year. One glaring example was a wedding I attended in Panama in which almost all the women in the groom's family wore long black dresses to a daytime wedding. My brother's fiance is trying to press for black suits for their outdoor spring wedding next year. As the best man, I'm fighting tooth and nail for charcoal suits for the groomsmen and light grey for the groom. What's going on with all the black at weddings?

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
No.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get it either, but people seem to think a black suit is the perfect wedding suit.

Personal Example:

One of my groups of friends is pretty close-knit, and we all go way back with each other. Last year, one of the guys in the group got married. It was an evening wedding in the fall, and another friend decided to wear a tan suit. It was, apparently, the only suit he owned. This got us to talking about suits, and he and his wife started discussing about the fact that he doesn't really have one to wear to such events. They agreed he needs to pick up a black one.

I said something along the lines of "Black? I'm not really a fan of black suits. If you're gonna spend the money, navy and grey would be more versatile." I quickly gave up when they informed me that black is the most versatile color for suits (and great for weddings).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black suits are popular...

Don't ask why but they're...

Most people not keen on suits buy a black suit for wedding and funerals..

On top of that, the infamous little black dress is now for many women a great all rounder...

Result? Black is worn everywhere...

arirang

Reaction score
I think Russell Smith addressed this in Men's Style. Basically, to many men, navy and gray are (as Smith put it), "banker's suit" colours. I guess a lot of men think that by going with black, they're making a safe choice along the lines of the "LBD" that women love to wear as lasbar pointed out. But the fact of the matter is that a black suit will give you a lot less mileage than the dreaded navy and gray. I'm not one of those zealots who hates black suits - I think they have a place in a wardrobe, but it should be someone's fifth or sixth suit, not their first. SFers have a public duty to warn their clued out friends from making such a blunder, and the OP deserves our appreciation for doing just that.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see lots of black at weddings, but mostly in the form of tailcoats, with grey cashmere striped trousers.

This is good, as far as I'm concerned.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see lots of black at weddings, but mostly in the form of tailcoats, with grey cashmere striped trousers.

This is good, as far as I'm concerned.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
One of the things that I am seeing a lot of at recent weddings are black tailcoats, with grey cashmere striped trousers. May just be me.

You mean morning coats or evening tailcoats? Sometimes the term "tailcoat" is used for both.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You mean morning coats or evening tailcoats? Sometimes the term "tailcoat" is used for both.

Morning coats, I would think, since the UK still sticks pretty closely to the 'no weddings in evening' rule.

And the people and the rental shops still have a handle on the rules of formal dress.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
i don't understand why so many women wear black to a wedding.

but people are clueless today. a few years ago, i had to tactfully suggest to a friend of mine, who was serving as a maid of honor and responsible for picking out her own dress, that she not wear WHITE--especially since the bride herself wasn't planning to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads