• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wedding Guest Tie Advice

AfternoonSalmon

Reaction score
(This is my first post, so I apologize if I’ve made any mistakes.)
So I will be attending my sister's wedding soon and I could use some advice on what to look for in a tie. Specifically, what colors and patterns match up with the setting and what I have currently.

The wedding is later this month and will be partly outdoors. So I was thinking darker/fall colors or maybe a rougher? texture (not really sure the right word, but like tweed or something). The wedding will be taking place at a zoo, with the actual ceremony being in a fenced off "forest" area with deer roaming around. So not super-strict formal.

There is no wedding party, so no colors to avoid there. The only exception being maybe green, as I think the groom will be wearing a green tie.

I'll be wearing this medium gray suit, with a vest (not pictured).

With a standard white shirt (no textured fabric or patterns).

As well as these shoes in "tan".

And the socks I'm leaning toward are argyle with red and blue pattern on charcoal gray (if it matters, I just figured I'd be thorough), as well as a boutonniere made of succulents (probably green).

Additionally, I know that my other family members (father and brother) will be matching their ties with their partners dress. I've seen this pointed out as a bit too prom-y (and I'm inclined to agree in the case of solid ties, it just seems too obvious). But I was toying with the idea of a tie that either compliments or incorporates some aspect of my partners dress.

For reference, she’ll be wearing this dress.

Hopefully that isn't too much information. I'm also open to changing some things about the outfit, as I figure that my current picks may already not be completely ideal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I would not advocate matching a tie to your partner's dress. That dress looks like its pretty shimmery and its not really a bold color so unless you wear a shimmery black tie (which....should not be done) not sure what would be coordinating directly. Whatever you wear won't fight w/ the dress.

Can't go wrong w/ a classic "wedding tie" at all, but I also don't think that you like....have to wear that if you don't want to. Based off your partners dress lengths I'm sensing its pretty casual. I think you could probably wear any tie you want. I wouldn't wear a solid unless is like....a woven / garza fina / grenadine / shantung (something w/ some texture). No shiny solid ties.

The only change I would implore you to explore if you can budget wise is to look at Allen Edmonds rather than J+M if you have not bought the shoes already. You can get AE Fifth Avenues on sale right now for $65 more than those J+M's and the quality is.....just in a completely different conversation.

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.