• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

standing up when you talk to a lady

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was having dinner at a restaurant with my wife when the waitress brought dessert to the table. I told her she was mistaken as we didn't order dessert. She said it was on-the-house from the waitstaff.
"Why?" I asked.
"For standing when your wife left the table to go to the restroom and standing when she returned."

Manners FTW.

lefty

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I was having dinner at a restaurant with my wife when the waitress brought dessert to the table. I told her she was mistaken as we didn't order dessert. She said it was on-the-house from the waitstaff.
"Why?" I asked.
"For standing when your wife left the table to go to the restroom and standing when she returned."

Manners FTW.

lefty

Do you always do that? If so, I commend you, sir!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever possible and when I remember -- not exactly batting 1000. The white knight runs strongly in my blood.

lefty

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing up when a woman enters the room is an archaic gesture. People can place themselves however they like, if there was a chair available and she wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon she could have sat down. If there wasn't one she could've simply moved one.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Why?" I asked.

Manners FTW.

lefty

very cool

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Standing up when a woman enters the room is an archaic gesture.

So's the basic handshake but I prefer it to the brofist, chest bump or whatever other dumb ******* thing 20-year-old kids do when they greet each other.

lefty

KenN

Reaction score
So's the basic handshake but I prefer it to the brofist, chest bump or whatever other dumb ******* thing 20-year-old kids do when they greet each other.

lefty

I should chest bump a female friend next time in see them.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • grab her hand
  • pull her onto your lap
  • ???
  • PROFIT

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Why?" I asked.

Manners FTW.

lefty

I dont get it - this sounds really strange to me. What do you do?

Just stand up? Smack her ass as she leaves? Pull out her chair or something? do you continue to eat or wait to take the next bite until she comes back?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not complicated. She excuses herself from the table and you stand as she leaves. Sit down and upon her return, pop back up until she sits.

Crazy, huh?

lefty

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you neglected to stand, you missed your opportunity. If she lingers at the table, I would invite her to sit with me and chat a while. If she declines and also declines to sit, after a respectable interval I would make some excuse to stand, like fetching an extra napkin (if the napkin stand is very nearby) and then remain standing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads