1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

standing up when you talk to a lady

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Crazy, huh?

kinda yeah

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

You haven't seen my wife.

lefty

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

Once you neglected to stand, you missed your opportunity. If she lingers at the table, I would invite her to sit with me and chat a while. If she declines and also declines to sit, after a respectable interval I would make some excuse to stand, like fetching an extra napkin (if the napkin stand is very nearby) and then remain standing.

4. Sherman90

Sherman90 Senior member

lefty

Pics or it didn't happen.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

lefty

I like your style, bro.

6. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

It's not complicated. She excuses herself from the table and you stand as she leaves. Sit down and upon her return, pop back up until she sits.

Crazy, huh?

lefty

Although by doing this you are drawing the attention of the whole room to the fact that your wife is going to the toilet...[​IMG]

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

not standing up for women and not looking someone in the eye when you shake are 2 of my biggest pet peeves.

8. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Though I still am very big on many chivalrous acts, people seem to forget that they were done because women were considered to be weaker and/or sillier than men. I always keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to perform such actions for a co-worker or strange [not particularly old] woman.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i have not forgotten that this is true.

Though I still am very big on many chivalrous acts, people seem to forget that they were done because women were considered to be weaker and/or sillier than men. I always keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to perform such actions for a co-worker or strange [not particularly old] woman.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

My solution to this is to show women these courtesies in social situations, but not in business situations. In business situations, I try to treat women and men the same way. I adopted this after a woman chewed me out for opening a door for her.[​IMG]

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

pissed myself off. friend of my wife's (wife of a friend) comes into the coffee shop and I say hello, and she stops to ask me a question. I didn't pop to my feet when she came in, jsut to say hello, but then it developed into a conversation. I really felt ackward talkig to her with me sitting and her standing, but I also felt that she would find it ackward if I popped to my feet after a minutes of talking.

anybody else feel bad about getting in that situation?

Globetrotter, you bring up a very interesting topic. We all want to think we have style but do we really act like we have style or just dress like it? I could use a little more of this. Thanks for the reminder.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

I like your style, bro.
    Thanks, kid.
    Although by doing this you are drawing the attention of the whole room to the fact that your wife is going to the toilet...[​IMG]
    When my wife walks to the restroom she gets all the attention in the room anyway so I'm just going with the flow. So to speak.
    I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy. lefty

13. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy.

lefty

This is my experience as well except the 75/25 ratio is a lot lower in my area.

14. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

I've yet to meet a women who thought it demeaning that I held a door open for her, though it's about 75/25 for thank you/silence. The silence mostly come from young girls. Almost always get a thank you when I hold the door open for a guy.

lefty

Yeah I never got that one. Surely it is just common courtesy to hold the door for someone regardless of gender. Although it does seem to be a dying grace amongst the young...

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Globetrotter, you bring up a very interesting topic. We all want to think we have style but do we really act like we have style or just dress like it? I could use a little more of this. Thanks for the reminder.

my pleasure - I found the whole thing very interesting, because I have the feeling I'll never do it again, I felt so uncomfortable over it, and have had a mild feeling of guilt since then.

I remember my brother having discussions with my parents over this, when he went away to college = that nobody else did it and he felt akward, but my parents insisted that it was important. I have been pretty good at keeping it up, but we all get a little sloppy sometimes. this was a little reminder to keep up standards.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Next week's topic - walking through a door before a woman does.

lefty

17. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Next week's topic - walking through a door before a woman does. lefty
    This and opening doors both create some major timing issues. Doors: that point where if you enter without holding the door, it slams in her face, but if you hold it she feels inclined to rush forward because she's still a distance away. Entering: the point where you would come close to pushing past her, but if you wait, she'll probably wait, and then there's the "you first" thing that leaves them feeling like they're wasting your time. Edit: I also have a very difficult time saying not ma'am when I'm asked not too. I don't have a hard age, but if she's older than me or occupies a position above me, then I say ma'am. Otherwise I end up with the "yes ma'am... oh- sorry about that...uhhhhh..." situation.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I try to do this as often as possible but sometimes its just impossible to not look like a spastic jackoff. I ran into this a few weeks ago while I was sitting at Starbucks:

Me - by myself at table reading
    girl 1 who I sort of know walks over to say hi. I stand up to greet her (note, no face kiss since we're not familiars). proceed to invite her to sit. she does so I sit down

girl 2 who is girl 1's friend comes over. I don't know her and she's just saying hi. do I stand??? (I did and shook her hand). she decides to sit. immediately, girl 1 gets up to use the bathroom, so I get up again. after sitting down, girl 2 decides to get up and go so I stand up again.

girl 2 - "why do you keep standing up and sitting down?"

me - "I do this all the time. It's the third stage of syphilis."

19. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I try to do this as often as possible but sometimes its just impossible to not look like a spastic jackoff. I ran into this a few weeks ago while I was sitting at Starbucks:

Me - by myself at table reading
    girl 1 who I sort of know walks over to say hi. I stand up to greet her (note, no face kiss since we're not familiars). proceed to invite her to sit. she does so I sit down

girl 2 who is girl 1's friend comes over. I don't know her and she's just saying hi. do I stand??? (I did and shook her hand). she decides to sit. immediately, girl 1 gets up to use the bathroom, so I get up again. after sitting down, girl 2 decides to get up and go so I stand up again.

girl 2 - "why do you keep standing up and sitting down?"

me - "I do this all the time. It's the third stage of syphilis."

[​IMG] That's hilarious.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG] That's hilarious.
    I'd love to take credit but its an old George Carlin line. One of my favorites.