• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Don't you find it straining on your eyes to read text on a screen that big? Its like staring into the sun.

No, not at all. I was worried about it, but it really isn't like that. Text renders beautifully and I never feel any sort of fatigue. The screen is wide and long, so when you are looking at a document, you're essentially looking at part of the screen rather than the screen as a whole. It's hard to explain but everything is very well scaled, and I love the extra length of everything as well... reading web pages is much easier.

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
You've gotta love how Mac supporters respond to a well constructed and articulate forum comment.
You clearly didn't understand.
lol8[1].gif
Originally Posted by milosz
Except Metro isn't offering up a well-constructed comment.
You clearly did understand.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Do people lose their sense of humour after purchasing a Mac?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For doing work, a desktop is great. I'm missing mine a lot and am developing a hunchback. I am going to get a Mini as soon as I can afford one. I sync all my projects on a third party server so I never miss a beat.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried rolling laptop only (17" MBP), but I didn't like keeping all my photographs and media (iTunes folder is 120GB by itself) on an external drive.

Didn't want to go back to a Mac Pro - four HD bays is nice and all, but it's a bit extreme for my current needs.

27" iMac was the best compromise - the i7 + 2TB HD + 12GB of RAM will be fine for two or three more years, and at some point I'll pick up a 13" MBP for portability.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing most laptops miss is having two drive bays: one for an SSD for your system and applications drive, so app launch is very fast, and another for a regular drive for all your work. You could work around that by either paying $$$ for a very large, good SSD (like the OWC 480 GB), or use an adapter to put another drive in the optical bay. Also, the performance freaks don't get to use a dual-SSD RAID0, and desktops are really the only way to get the highest-performance CPUs.

Also for Macbooks, if you move between a desktop setup and portable setup a lot, you have to plug and unplug a bunch of cables all the time. The Bookendz dock works OK, but it's still a little klunky.

--Andre

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Except Metro isn't offering up a well-constructed comment. Apples have similar keyboard shortcuts (and back in the day, were known for being more shortcut friendly) to Windows PCs.

There's almost no difference in what you can do with a Windows box or Mac these days - it simply comes down to which UI you find most comfortable. I've been using nothing but Macs for a decade now, so I flub the keyboard shortcuts on Windows with regularity.

As a rule, I put up with Apple's bullshit product matrix and form over function philosophy (it only took three generations of unibody Macbook Pros to get 15" matte screens!) because Windows, even with its newfound stability and all, just gets in my way more often than Macs do.

Originally Posted by spencers
You clearly didn't understand.
lol8[1].gif

Metro's original argument: PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Each have their strengths.

Why his statement is well-constructed: He stated his past experience with both machines, and he stated his conclusion drawn from past experiences. He explained his own bias towards the keyboard, and hence his disposition towards PCs.

spencers could have at least countered with a non-fallacious argument or statement, instead he chose to dismiss the original argument entirely.

To add to Metro's original point, the Apple keyboard commands are much more complex than Window's based keyboard commands. The three meta-keys (⌘, option and control) are sometimes combined with the shift modifier to create shortcut string monstrosities such as ctrl+cmd+shift+3 (screenshot to the clipboard).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Don't be upset with me, bro. The simple fact of the matter is, PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Almost everything I do I prefer to use a keyboard and shortcuts for, so PCs work better for me.

BTW I tried a Mac for several months with an open mind, but because of the way I use a computer, it was not a good fit.

Neither is inherently better or worse.

Not in my experience. The shortcuts on Macs are far better than those on Win machines; they are far more intuitive and logical.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I love mine. What a crystal clear screen. And the wireless keyboard and mouse are the best. Apple just keeps getting better and better and better......

Originally Posted by SField
I have the 27" iMac.

I absolutely love it. Everything just seems to work so much better, and once you get used to the interface, it seems much more intuitive. I don't miss windows at all. It just feels like a very well built product. If money isn't an object, which for most people it obviously is, I think Macs work great. I really like this computer a lot and would urge anyone who wants a good desktop to look into it.

I've gone ahead and ordered a 15" Macbook pro for traveling.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Congrats. I love mine. What a crystal clear screen. And the wireless keyboard and mouse are the best. Apple just keeps getting better and better and better......

Ya I guess that my vanity gets the best of me a little because I just think it looks so good. I haven't seen PC products that look as tastefully designed as what I have now. It's look and the way it works just seems very serene to me. It's very quiet which I like. Even though it's a big machine, it seems to fade into the background very well which is important for me. I don't like really displaying electronics all that much (which is funny because this is one hell of a big computer.)

Obviously from this thread, it isn't for everyone but I think I've been converted to using Macs.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I use a Macbook pro...... Only been using laptops for the last 10 years..... But for those of you who do desktops... Well, what about the mac mini..... $700...... Then you can buy a separate monitor and keyboard...
I tried that. By the time I added a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, the price was not far from a nicer, more powerful, refurbished iMac. Also the iMac has an IPS LCD I believe, compared to most of the ~24" LCDs that have TN LCD. I ended up switching to an iMac anyway. The Mini is in a drawer getting dusty.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The Mac Mini is really only good if you want to use it as a media player for a big-screen TV, especially now that it has HDMI.
Its still WAY overpriced. Hell, you could get a Boxee box game console for $250 and have all the same features except the gaming performance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads