1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SField, Jul 26, 2010.

1. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Don't be upset with me, bro. The simple fact of the matter is, PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Almost everything I do I prefer to use a keyboard and shortcuts for, so PCs work better for me.

BTW I tried a Mac for several months with an open mind, but because of the way I use a computer, it was not a good fit.

Neither is inherently better or worse.

Mac mice can't even right-click. [​IMG]

2. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

Mac mice can't even right-click. [​IMG]

Yes they can. Apple mice have had right-click since 2005. I'm not a fan of Apple's mice, though, so I use a Logitech Performance MX which has all programmable buttons you could want.

3. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

Yep, and 95% of people who prefer using a mouse will prefer a Mac, while 95% of people who prefer a keyboard/Excel/numbers stuff will prefer a PC.

Correlation is correlation, bro.

non-existent statistics are non-existent bro.

Philosophy, rather than hard science, seems to be your area of expertise. Plabro. Socbrotes
    [​IMG]

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

non-existent statistics are non-existent bro.

Philosophy, rather than hard science, seems to be your area of expertise. Plabro. Socbrotes
    [​IMG]

We get it. You like your Mac. It ruelz. Now don't ruin all the goodwill we have between us with one petty threak.

5. hamish5178

hamish5178 Senior member

6. MetroStyles

*bro hug*

I just popped a broner.

7. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

This thread is gayer than Justin Long.

8. MetroStyles

This thread is gayer than Justin Long.

From my hometown. I see him at the bars when I go back. He is a cockfag.

9. origenesprit

From my hometown. I see him at the bars when I go back. He is a cockfag.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have to admit, the more I use my iPod Touch, the more tempted I am to get an iPhone. I'm just concerned about reception and having the same business (email/Outlook sync'ing) funtionality as my B-berry.

11. KenN

KenN Senior member

Don't be upset with me, bro. The simple fact of the matter is, PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Almost everything I do I prefer to use a keyboard and shortcuts for, so PCs work better for me.

BTW I tried a Mac for several months with an open mind, but because of the way I use a computer, it was not a good fit.

Neither is inherently better or worse.

Preference is preference bro

You've gotta love how Mac supporters respond to a well constructed and articulate forum comment.

12. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

No comment on Mac vs. PC. But you bought a desktop? Seriously? In 2010?
    I need a workstation in my office and servers so no getting around that. I did get a laptop last week for doing editing at home. I am amazed with the amount of work it does on a little freaking laptop. Oh yeah mac vs pc... I really don't care. Did I get my work done? did I make a profit? Thats what I concern myself with.

13. origenesprit

You've gotta love how Mac supporters respond to a well constructed and articulate forum comment.

Seriously? What is wrong with you people? I can almost understand the lib vs repub hate, because the differences there actually might be important, but saying things like "if you don't like PCs then you're too stupid to comment properly" and vice versa is just incredibly idiotic. People like what they like. Doesn't make them stupid or inarticulate.

14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i love my macs, but the 27" iMac is kinda like having a 7 series BMW:

big to the point of being too large
    very very expensive (but don't care/are very happy once you own it)
    should you drive it? wait maybe it would be better if i had a driver? (is it a proper desktop computer or a small flatscreen entertainment center so maybe i should just buy a TV).
    new models will come out next year and make you sad.

The only sucky thing is getting used to the huge screen real-estate. Even if you use a 15"-17" laptop after the screen seems small, even more so for the 13" models.

15. SField

SField Senior member

i love my macs, but the 27" iMac is kinda like having a 7 series BMW:

big to the point of being too large
    very very expensive (but don't care/are very happy once you own it)
    should you drive it? wait maybe it would be better if i had a driver? (is it a proper desktop computer or a small flatscreen entertainment center so maybe i should just buy a TV).
    new models will come out next year and make you sad.

The only sucky thing is getting used to the huge screen real-estate. Even if you use a 15"-17" laptop after the screen seems small, even more so for the 13" models.

That is true. It was around $2000. I don't think that it's too large at all. Being able to view two documents simultaneously with page and a half length each, in addition to a video window or maybe a browser is a huge asset. I am just so much more productive.

16. KenN

KenN Senior member

That is true. It was around $2000. I don't think that it's too large at all. Being able to view two documents simultaneously with page and a half length each, in addition to a video window or maybe a browser is a huge asset. I am just so much more productive.

Do Macs have the left/right snapping feature that Windows 7 has? I found this feature to be very useful on large monitors.

17. Hazad

Hazad Senior member

Dual monitors would have given you even more screen space and done so for much less money.

18. SField

SField Senior member

Dual monitors would have given you even more screen space and done so for much less money.

yeah except most of the people with dual monitors live with their parents. i joke..

Well I think that looks cluttered. The iMac has an incredible screen... there's only one cable..for power.. it's just a very clean product. To me it's just a lot more pleasant than having two monitors. I've seen that and I just don't like it.

Money wasn't a huge concern for me so I don't really care that I could have saved like $500.

19. SField

SField Senior member

Do Macs have the left/right snapping feature that Windows 7 has? I found this feature to be very useful on large monitors.

Yeah you can do something like that with the magic mouse, but I don't find the large size to be a problem at all.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yes they can. Apple mice have had right-click since 2005. I'm not a fan of Apple's mice, though, so I use a Logitech Performance MX which has all programmable buttons you could want.

Well, there's a work-around/substitute for right-click, which isn't quite the same thing.