• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long will it take me to clear 10k debt?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Depressing when I look at my $40k student debt.

Though somewhat less when I imagine where I'd be if I lived in the US.

Stampede + Copious Amounts of Babes outside = Not helping my financial situation

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That student loan debt is nothing. Thats gonna be what...$100 a month at the standard payment plan?

The credit card debt is the issue...its not super high (though hell no would I ever willingly take on 4k debt at 12%) but you should be rid of it in months with 1500 in excess cash.

Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Live at home for a year. Barring that, minimize your partying/hobby spending and throw it all at the CC and student loans.

Jodum is right I think. This is the way to do it. It's a painful way to pay down your debts but you'll pay them off faster and you can save on interest this way too. The sooner you pay it off the sooner you will have money to spend on what you like again (assuming you're working).
bigstar[1].gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gander
Jodum is right I think. This is the way to do it. It's a painful way to pay down your debts but you'll pay them off faster and you can save on interest this way too. The sooner you pay it off the sooner you will have money to spend on what you like again aside from those Lanvins you're obviously going to buy from JD later this week because well, why wouldn't you, debt or no debt.
Ftfy.

mondayc

Reaction score
$850 a month for a car/insurance/gas is pretty steep for a recent grad. My brother graduated and bought a Nissan Sentra for $5,000 (granted he had a lot more than $10,000 debt). I'd put off buying that car for a few months while you use that money to hammer away at the credit card debt.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well folks, as luck would have it, my sister (whom is also moving to a different city pretty quick here), decided to get a new car, so I'm getting gifted her 2000 Civic haha! I guess I'll drive that around til October/November when the snow really starts pouring down (and I've hopefully cleared my CC debt), and pick up an SUV which I've hopefully found a good deal on.

Thanks for all your input in the thread fellow SF'ers...drinks on me? rack up my CC debt to 15k?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up
Well folks, as luck would have it, my sister (whom is also moving to a different city pretty quick here), decided to get a new car, so I'm getting gifted her 2000 Civic haha! I guess I'll drive that around til October/November when the snow really starts pouring down (and I've hopefully cleared my CC debt), and pick up an SUV which I've hopefully found a good deal on.

Thanks for all your input in the thread fellow SF'ers...drinks on me? rack up my CC debt to 15k?

A civic with winter snow tires (blizzaks or something) should be fine. I drove in upstate NY winters for 4 years with a FWD car on winter tires and never once felt unsafe. The SUV would be nice for hauling people/stuff for trips or whatever though.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I live pretty close to the mountains, so it'd be nicing having an SUV once snowboarding season comes around...but I can't be making these trips until my debt is reduced..so priorities first! (Clothes are a priority too
biggrin.gif
)

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a used/last years model Subaru impreza hatch/outback then. AWD means you can drive in icy weather, and they're quite spacious.

But I'm sure you have a million justifications regarding why you want an SUV, it's your money in the end.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Get a used/last years model Subaru impreza hatch/outback then. AWD means you can drive in icy weather, and they're quite spacious.

But I'm sure you have a million justifications regarding why you want an SUV, it's your money in the end.

Yeah, definitely an option, but I've just always wanted an SUV for the size capacity (I live close to the mountains so camping and snowboarding are always on the agenda). Guess I've got a few more months to keep searching!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
A civic with winter snow tires (blizzaks or something) should be fine. I drove in upstate NY winters for 4 years with a FWD car on winter tires and never once felt unsafe. The SUV would be nice for hauling people/stuff for trips or whatever though.

Agreed, that Civic will be fine. My family had a Civic when I was growing up and we had no issues in winter.

Much of winter driving is skill and having proper tires. I don't know why some people have thirty different shoes but they refuse to get snow tires. People wear different shoes for different occasions. Cars are no different.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Agreed, that Civic will be fine. My family had a Civic when I was growing up and we had no issues in winter.

Much of winter driving is skill and having proper tires. I don't know why some people have thirty different shoes but they refuse to get snow tires. People wear different shoes for different occasions. Cars are no different.

It's not necessarily for winter driving in the city though, I work for an onshore drilling company (no bp oil spill), so I'll be required to drive out to some remote locations with varied terrain (hence the need for an SUV).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toronto34
A week trading in
teacha.gif
Forex.

He was trying to get rid of the debt, not make 10k new debt.

Originally Posted by 1up
It's not necessarily for winter driving in the city though, I work for an onshore drilling company (no bp oil spill), so I'll be required to drive out to some remote locations with varied terrain (hence the need for an SUV).

I would wager you still can do an alright job in a civic. Modern cars can handle most terrain just fine. If they expect you to be driving over ungraded terrain with 6" rocks...they will probably be providing you a vehicle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads