• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australia to ban ultra-skinny models

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
+1. I went to a liberal arts school, and while I wasn't a sociology/fem studies major or anything like that, the stuff about social power and the creation of "accepted" knowledge--in this case, the idea the "ideal" weight being dangerously thin as being perpetuated by those with the greatest ability to renforce those modes of belief, i.e. the fashion industry--really rings true. While I'm not of a fan of government intervention in social issues, such legislation doesn't impose any real economic "costs" on people, and structures incentives to create a more socially optimal outcomes. So, FWIW, i don't think it's too bad.

Then again, my muscle dysmorphia comes from reading too many comic books.
laugh.gif

How anyone can look at all the fat people shamelessly walking around in public and zero in on the fashion industry as a force of any significant social power is beyond me.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
This is incorrect actually. More and more young men are turning to weights in order to fit the media's representation of the ideal man. It's called muscle dysmorphia and while the actions of these young men may have healthy side-effects, it is as a result of a mental disorder that has the same negative implications as anorexia, save for the fact that you can't die from it (though steroids can still do a number on your body). So with regards to this, I can see why they would feel inclined to steer the fashion world away from the muscular ideal as well as the skinny one.

This "ideal" has been persistant in most cultures around the world for about....all of recorded human history! You really want to blame it on the media?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
This "ideal" has been persistant in most cultures around the world for about....all of recorded human history! You really want to blame it on the media?
Uh, no it hasen't, do you realise what the accepted weight for women was in the past? Think Marilyn Monroe, or moreso the Renaissance where women you'd now call 'fat' were admired as the pinnacles of beauty. Look at the men in history and compare them to the steroid ridden men of today, muscularity was appreciated but never seen as of such importance in the past. Tanning was once seen as a sign of poverty as it implied one worked out in the sun all the time, where the rich would always stay indoors, look how that has changed. Perceptions and ideals are not innate, they are made universal perpetually by the people propogating them, as evidenced by the fact that these ideals have changed as people have changed throughout history.

andewhall

Reaction score
I heard on the radio today that NZ will outlaw smoking in prisons within two years. Yeah good luck with that.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another factor:

Recently Mental Health (Which has been lagging for decades) as gained alot of momentum in Australia for serious reform. What was to be reformed first, was early intervention, child / youth / adolescent mental health and community services.

This is one of those issues that came up for reform.

For anyone that works in Mental Health, they would appreciate that images MUST be described as being photo shopped or not, that will help immensely.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
How anyone can look at all the fat people shamelessly walking around in public and zero in on the fashion industry as a force of any significant social power is beyond me.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

AGPi

Reaction score
Err ... this is a garden-variety beat up. Look at the formula "could be banned". "Could". This means it "may" happen: as in, aliens "may" also land a spaceship next week. The headline is somewhat misleading because that's what tabloid newspaper headlines do. The problem is that people read the headline and skim a few sentences, and then go off with the idea that Australia is going to ban skinny bitches from runways. The government is releasing a code of conduct: it's just a set of guidelines, it's optional, and it means a magazine could, if they wanted, and if they follow these guidelines, print a small "body-image friendly" logo on the masthead page. Lame. No big deal.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Winky were you raped by a fat guy or something
My eyes are raped by fat guys every time I walk through an airport or anywhere in the midwest... It's unsightly to look at, it's disgraceful how little people care for themselves and under Obamacare, I'll be left with the bill for all of them. Not everyone has to have an ideal body composition (I don't) but when something like 1/3 of the population is considered obese (here at least), it's a lot more than an aesthetic problem and thinking it will go away by regulating the fashion industry is absurd, it will go away when people are given proper incentives to take care of themselves.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AGPi
Err ... this is a garden-variety beat up. Look at the formula "could be banned". "Could". This means it "may" happen: as in, aliens "may" also land a spaceship next week. The headline is somewhat misleading because that's what tabloid newspaper headlines do. The problem is that people read the headline and skim a few sentences, and then go off with the idea that Australia is going to ban skinny bitches from runways. The government is releasing a code of conduct: it's just a set of guidelines, it's optional, and it means a magazine could, if they wanted, and if they follow these guidelines, print a small "body-image friendly" logo on the masthead page. Lame. No big deal.

This is a fair point, but worth noting is that even if this doesn't eventuate, it is still important and noteworthy as it shows the government's acknowledgment of the issues surrounding the media and the fashion industry, issues that have long been spoken about but never formally considered or addressed. And after all the first step to fixing a problem is accepting that it exists, so I am happy in the least for this achievement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads