• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australia to ban ultra-skinny models

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BriansAWildDowner
We preserve healthy people as well, and they stick around longer, being a drain longer.

Supporting healthy lifestyles isn't a "drain," that's what the system is there to do. Repairing poor lifestyles, that's a drain that those of us who take care of ourselves shouldn't suffer for.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I love that the Japanese doctor shot that bit at Americans being fat

And lol at the Aussies using BMI as useful for anything at all. According to the BMI, I should essentially be withering away and dying

your assumptions about what BMI is stating, are incorrect

Fluery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid

Someone w/smoking induced lung cancer who gets a bunch of surgeries and dies at 45 or so after months in the hospital will cost way more than someone who lives to 100 or w/e w/o too many issues and good health habits

fwiw i remember reading an article on reddit a few weeks ago about how smokers that die young tend to use less healthcare money than those who live old and use a normal amount of healthcare.

i can't find the article though, so take it as you will.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
This "ideal" has been persistant in most cultures around the world for about....all of recorded human history! You really want to blame it on the media?

No it hasn't.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fluery
fwiw i remember reading an article on reddit a few weeks ago about how smokers that die young tend to use less healthcare money than those who live old and use a normal amount of healthcare.

i can't find the article though, so take it as you will.

Many studies on the topic, pretty much proven by now.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Of note is that people don't seem to realise that many of the runway models themselves have poor body image from all the years of being called 'sticks' and being told that we only like women with big boobs (harsh but true). They enter the industry in search of an environment where being skinny isn't a bad talking point. Also, do not want to see 'plus-sized models' ever.
marsupial.
Originally Posted by imhotep
your assumptions about what BMI is stating, are incorrect
Spare me the wikipedia "this was never meant for individual usage and blah blah blah blah blah"

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BriansAWildDowner
Not necessarily true. There has been at least one study done showing that people with poor health habits die sooner and actually save the system money.

I'd be interested to hear more about this. seems like there would be some sense behind it. Diseases like alzheimers and dimensia all hit later on in life and people who suffer from them end up requiring constant care. A heart attack from being morbidly obese would kill you way before you get alzheimers I'd guess.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba
I'd be interested to hear more about this. seems like there would be some sense behind it. Diseases like alzheimers and dimensia all hit later on in life and people who suffer from them end up requiring constant care. A heart attack from being morbidly obese would kill you way before you get alzheimers I'd guess.

True. But it's the obesity-induced heart attack that doesn't kill you that's the expensive one. The drain on the system then is your care after the heart attack and all that goes into it. And, since people are so bad at learning from their mistakes, the process will likely repeat itself. If hospitals and insurance companies stopped covering the morbidly obese (providing an incentive to control what one stuffs down their throat) then the only ones that would remain part of the system are those paying cash (which the system could use).

BriansAWildDowner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibadiba

Of course now I can't seem to find the article anywhere. I just remember Penn Jillette mentioning it and then saying how that could lead to some really interesting public service announcements.

"remember kids, bareback is better!"

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think what you will, clothes do not hang off fat people well. And as a consumer I don't like seeing substandard modelling.
fight[1].gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
If hospitals and insurance companies stopped covering the morbidly obese (providing an incentive to control what one stuffs down their throat) then the only ones that would remain part of the system are those paying cash (which the system could use).

Do you really see nothing wrong with this statement? Just think about that last part for a minute.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Do you really see nothing wrong with this statement? Just think about that last part for a minute.
Hey man If I get in a major car accident every 6 months, and I'm always at fault, eventually insurance companies will not cover me Health insurance should be no different... if I exercise + eat right and all my blood tests come back showing that ****, my insurance policy should be dirt cheap, whereas if I smoke + drink + eat like **** and all my vitals reflect that, it should be hard as hell to get a policy. The fucked up thing is, insurers take on unhealthy ***** no problem, but will drop people who get pancreatic cancer and ****, which seems backwards, as there are way more people will self-induced health problems than random stuff like cancer or lupus. The whole system is fucked up.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Hey man

If I get in a major car accident every 6 months, and I'm always at fault, eventually insurance companies will not cover me

Health insurance should be no different... if I exercise + eat right and all my blood tests come back showing that ****, my insurance policy should be dirt cheap, whereas if I smoke + drink + eat like **** and all my vitals reflect that, it should be hard as hell to get a policy.

The fucked up thing is, insurers take on unhealthy ***** no problem, but will drop people who get pancreatic cancer and ****, which seems backwards, as there are way more people will self-induced health problems than random stuff like cancer or lupus. The whole system is fucked up.

Exactly! And what better incentive to people to keep themselves (and their kids) leading a healthy lifestyle? People will always respond to financial incentives (or, in this case, financial disincentives). And in truth I have nothing wrong with the idea that if people don't care about themselves nobody else will care either.

I also think all drugs should be legal. That's right, coke, crystal, heroine, e, all of it. But if you OD, nobody is under any obligation to nurse you back to health, you made the bad decision to get involved with drugs, and the consequences are yours and yours alone.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
I also think all drugs should be legal. That's right, coke, crystal, heroine, e, all of it. But if you OD, nobody is under any obligation to nurse you back to health, you made the bad decision to get involved with drugs, and the consequences are yours and yours alone.

Not if you have kids, but I understand what you're saying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics