• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Ossington

Reaction score
Okay, I do not work for proper cloth. Now that I've said that, at least half of you are suspicious of my next claims, I'm sure. They have a spectrum of slim to loose fitting shirts that includes many of the major companies. I'm not putting the URL, for obvious reasons, but look it up, if you want. Click the (?) beside type of fit on the product you want. I did, seems useful.

thoogsby

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find the chest measurements for the BB Extra-Slim fit dress shirts? Or if anyone knows the measurements for a 16 or 16 1/2 off the top of their head...

ahe

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was at the RL Polo Outlet recently and bought a white "slim fit" ocbd and it fits really well. It only cost me 35 dollars with a 10% student discount. The fit is comparable to the Brooks Brothers Esf but it obviously isn't as well made or expensive.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahe
Hi Guys,

I was at the RL Polo Outlet recently and bought a white "slim fit" ocbd and it fits really well. It only cost me 35 dollars with a 10% student discount. The fit is comparable to the Brooks Brothers Esf but it obviously isn't as well made or expensive.

yeah nice. i was at the polo outlet a week ago and found the same button down custom fit and it was for only 24 bux total. it fit well, and the look decent,

however when i went to the dolce&gabbana factory store they had this denim stripe shirt that was out of this world in fit. was a hundred bux more but i bought that one and promptly returned the polo shirt!
laugh.gif

ahe

Reaction score
Ha

I saw the RL ocbd custom fit too, I found the "slim fit" a little bit more fitted but the custom fit was pretty slim as it is and was labeled with s,m,l sizes while "slim fit" was 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thoogsby
Does anyone know where I can find the chest measurements for the BB Extra-Slim fit dress shirts? Or if anyone knows the measurements for a 16 or 16 1/2 off the top of their head...

BB extra-slim fit don't work for me. The shoulders and chest are too narrow while the waist is too wide. I am 5'10, 165 lbs, somewhat athletic and 15.5 collar. Hope that helps a little bit. I had to give the shirt to my father, who is shorter and skinnier. Fit him well... So, I'd say a 15.5 BB ESF shirts would fit a guy who weighs around 150 lbs.

xCoffee

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations as to nice slim fit casual OCBDs? The kind you might wear with flat front shorts and boat shoes with the sleeves rolled up. I have serious trouble with slim fitting clothing generally, as I am 5'7" and 125 lb, 35 chest, 29 waist, very slim around the middle. Needless to say Brooks Brother's slim fit looks ridiculous on me. I haven't tried the extra slim fit OCBDs that are on sale yet. Uniqlo sounds like it might do, but there's no Uniqlo around in the south. I'm almost tempted to just get MTM OCBDs with casual options like a shortened square hem etc.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCoffee
Does anyone have any recommendations as to nice slim fit casual OCBDs? The kind you might wear with flat front shorts and boat shoes with the sleeves rolled up. I have serious trouble with slim fitting clothing generally, as I am 5'7" and 125 lb, 35 chest, 29 waist, very slim around the middle. Needless to say Brooks Brother's slim fit looks ridiculous on me. I haven't tried the extra slim fit OCBDs that are on sale yet. Uniqlo sounds like it might do, but there's no Uniqlo around in the south. I'm almost tempted to just get MTM OCBDs with casual options like a shortened square hem etc.

The slimmest shirt I own would be Hugo Boss Slim Fit I bought at Nordstrom Rack for around $60.

Try H&M, they have the slimmest cheap shirts I could find in CA. Then you can take them to a tailor to enhance the darts. The shirts are $15 on sale, tailor would charge another $15. You end up with a nice slim shirt for $30.

xCoffee

Reaction score
H&M shirts actually fit well. I got a few in Europe and while in San Fran, but unfortunately, there are no H&M's where I am (Houston). Also, for something like OCBDs, something a bit better than H&M quality would be nice.

I might try Hugo Boss though, there's a Nordstrom Rack not too far from the work place. Just hoping they'll have smalls, as its always so hard to find anything in small at discount.

ahe

Reaction score
How about the polo outlet ocbd slim fit, they fit me great and I'm 5'8
" 135pounds, 36R. The tails aren't long at all either and they are a good price at 35 bucks

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M shirts actually fit well. I got a few in Europe and while in San Fran, but unfortunately, there are no H&M's where I am (Houston). Also, for something like OCBDs, something a bit better than H&M quality would be nice.

I might try Hugo Boss though, there's a Nordstrom Rack not too far from the work place. Just hoping they'll have smalls, as its always so hard to find anything in small at discount.

Honestly, I see little difference in quality between Hugo Boss and H&M. The stitches are a bit cleaner, but you can hardly notice that with a suit or while moving and the button are the same. But HB does fit much slimmer, though. In fact, I'm 5'10", 165 lbs and it's so tight for me in the chest, that when I spread my hands back the shirt unbuttons in one or two places.

barkeybark

Reaction score
I use Slim Fit shirts from Zara, Topman, and H & M.
I have them in a variety of colors and the quality of the shirts are good.
I prefer the fit of topman the most as it suits my body perfectly.
H & M had a nice material and the price is quite low.
Of course all these brands are low budget (so if you like the fit then you can get several), however, Zara's slim fit shirts were a bit more expensive as the material is a bit softer.
Hope this helps!

xCoffee

Reaction score
The thing about Zara's and H&M is that their business model is, or at least used to be, centered around wearing an article of clothing an average of 10 times before replacement/retiring. This is based off of a Zara's HBS case. And anyhow, Houston has no access to Topman, H&M, Zara's, etc.

Trungtastic

Reaction score
The thing about Zara's and H&M is that their business model is, or at least used to be, centered around wearing an article of clothing an average of 10 times before replacement/retiring. This is based off of a Zara's HBS case. And anyhow, Houston has no access to Topman, H&M, Zara's, etc.

Zara's in the Galleria

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had a tailor recut the hem on BBBF shirts to a normal bottom? I have a couple OCBD's that I want to wear untucked for casual wear but the hems are still pretty long and the fronts overlap in front of each other and looks odd untucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads