• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about "pull".

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I am fairly top heavy and broad shouldered for my legs and height so I feel a bit of pull looks good on my jackets. It gives a more slimming effect than drapey. Whenever something drapes too much it makes the top of my body look way too big, which I don't like. If my trousers are made to accomodate the drapey top they will be rather wide legged and it just looks bad. I only wear MTM suits, but I am wondering if full on bespoke can actually look drapey but proportioned as well?
Pull isn't what you need. You can have suits that are neither drapey nor tight. Consider a narrower shoulder and either less waist suppression or a more flared skirt. Trousers can be full and well-fitted--a sharp crease and a straight-down drape are the important things. A good role model is Sean Connery in his Bond days. As a former bodybuilder, he had a substantial upper body (http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...EX_468x651.jpg), but his suits were superb.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
connery1REX_468x651.jpg

superb.

eh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pull isn't what you need. You can have suits that are neither drapey nor tight. Consider a narrower shoulder and either less waist suppression or a more flared skirt. Trousers can be full and well-fitted--a sharp crease and a straight-down drape are the important things.

A good role model is Sean Connery in his Bond days. As a former bodybuilder, he had a substantial upper body (http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...EX_468x651.jpg), but his suits were superb.

All of my jackets do have narrow shoulders, however less waist supression looks too boxy. Perhaps a more flared skirt is the answer. I'd perfect not to go the full trouser route either. I like the look of slim, and I always feel a mess when things aren't somewhat snug.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe this has been said already (I'm too lazy to read the whole thread), but the problem with drag, or pull, is that it points to the problem area, highlighting areas of tightness and making them more obvious. Something that fits correctly won't draw attention to problem areas, like full hips. I, for example, have wide hips compared to my shoulders; the garment in the photo shows how a bit of an extended shoulder and a bit of drape in the chest helps to camouflage that; if the coat was cut too tight in the hip, drag lines would form pointing to the hip and it might be the first thing that attracts the eye.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
He's not called 'Amplifiedheat' for nothing you know.

I said his suits were superb, not his physique. Lotta projection going on here...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said his suits were superb, not his physique. Lotta projection going on here...
Yes, I know, but you posted a picture of him stood posing away, wearing only his knickers and a jauntily perched Glengarry, whilst leaning, on a similarly clad 'friend'. You got off lightly
wink.gif

tailorgod

Reaction score
While it's save to say that there is no "good" pull, we can probably agree that there is a "good" manica camicia and a "bad" one (the latter being just a badly set sleeve with too much width overall).
These are examples for both!

dsc00909edited1i.jpg

I can live with the example on the right. I just wouldn't use it on a business suit. Even if that means it lacks a significant Neapolitan styling element!
smack.gif

nioh

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of complaints about using spalla camcia on business suits. With the overall rather appalling state of business dress, what issue is it really? I mean, it cannot be that bad to sport bespoke suits with spalla camcia (granted that most of them are well fitting) rather than what-have-you ill-fitting rtw shoulders. To me, fit should be above all else as the majority rather wear horrible cuts due to it's label with little or no attention to true fit.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
There seems to be a lot of complaints about using spalla camcia on business suits. With the overall rather appalling state of business dress, what issue is it really? I mean, it cannot be that bad to sport bespoke suits with spalla camcia (granted that most of them are well fitting) rather than what-have-you ill-fitting rtw shoulders. To me, fit should be above all else as the majority rather wear horrible cuts due to it's label with little or no attention to true fit.
In most circles, I can't imagine that anyone would even notice. Once you go spalla, it's hard to go back. i'd never have a jacket made without it at this point. Anyway, pull looks marsupialed and I can't imagine being comfortable in a jacket that fit like that. It's just another dumb fad that will eventually wane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads