• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
This seems to have gone by fairly unnoticed, but Yensen has now been re branded as MJ Bale, because Ganton already have a line of shirts called Jensen apparently.

New website is www.mjbale.com.au and apparently it will have an online store shortly. Looks the same as the Yensen websiteat this stag though and would explain why it wasn't working for that period. Going to Sydney tomorrow so might check what DJ's has in stock.

how much do their suits go for ?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
This seems to have gone by fairly unnoticed, but Yensen has now been re branded as MJ Bale, because Ganton already have a line of shirts called Jensen apparently.

New website is www.mjbale.com.au and apparently it will have an online store shortly. Looks the same as the Yensen websiteat this stag though and would explain why it wasn't working for that period. Going to Sydney tomorrow so might check what DJ's has in stock.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they do go ahead with online shopping as their shirts are quite decent and resonably priced. Good to see you blogging again to BTW.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
No C&Js on sale at Herringbone even though it's sale time. Quoted me AUD599 for the shoes.

That's the same price that American Tailors in Melbourne gave me, note that it is a starting price. I'm guessing the Cordovans and handgrades will cost more.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
eh I actually just catch it from Swanston and Collins to get to dreary Docklands...
Never mind I sometimes drive down Collins- watchout - if you aren't on one of those raised platforms or are crossing from DeGraves lane I'll swerve and run over the toes of your handmade C&Js. Or if I'm on the tram and can manage to avoid being tackled to the floor by "customer service officers" for not inserting my ticket I'll poke you with my umbrella as we pass Henry Bucks and we can exchange a knowing wink and subtle rolled eyes. I assume you'll be the one with a pocket square, tie bar, braces and 4" cuffs hovering an inch or two above the brown double monks?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
No C&Js on sale at Herringbone even though it's sale time. Quoted me
AUD599 for the shoes.

Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Was that for the handgrade or benchgrade?

It's not surprising that the C&Js were not on sale as the older Cheaney for Herringbone shoes only went on sale once that I can remember, in the entire time that Herringbone stocked them. Given that Herringbone have only just started to stock C&J, it would be very surprising if they suddenly knocked 20-30% off the price.

With regard to pricing, this is what Ethan of Herringbone said a while back in this thread:

Originally Posted by ethandesu
The styles of C&J's I am hoping to offer are the Belgrave and the Savile in the handgrade, brown and black leather for Belgrave and brown suede for the Savile. In the benchgrade there would be an even split between 348 and 341, with styles like the Lowndes, Edgeware, Hallam, Sydney, Westfield. A scotch grain Onslow with Dainite sole on the 325, a 238 Chelsea boot an the new Poole loafer, which is a new last, I think. Prices should be between $550 and $699. More expensive than Plal or Pediware, but hopefully there are enough people out there who appreciate real shoes being sold in Sydney that they can live with the cost difference required by a bricks and mortar store, staff and australian custom and import duties.

Interestingly, from memory, the Lowndes (which are benchgrade) are the most expensive style in stock at $599 and there are a few handgrades such as the Belgrave that are slightly cheaper.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by truevision
how much do their suits go for ?

There was an article about M.J. Bale in the Australian recently:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225876407707

Here's some information from the article concerning pricing:

Originally Posted by Matt Jensen in the Australian
The entry point into the MJ Bale brand is what the company calls Classics. "What we are doing in Classics is creating fantastic value shirts, ties and suits - formal tailoring pieces," says Jensen. The Classics collection is stocked in selected David Jones stores nationally and MJ Bale's first stand-alone store in Sydney's Woollahra. An online store, which will sell shirts, ties and accessories, was due to launch at press time. Suits in the Classics collection, which are made from Italian fabric with Japanese expertise and fabricated in China, range from $695 to $749.

After Classics comes Collection, a more fashion-forward range that will include hand-finished suits produced in Japan, which will retail from $1095 to $1695. Then there is a range of semi-custom-tailored suits, which start at $1500. For this range, which will only be available in M J Bale stores, the company will stock six different types of suit styles that can be altered and tweaked to suit the customer. "We can add extra length, extra width and we can arrange fittings with an in-house tailor to get the exact fit for the customer," says Jensen.

It sounds as though Jensen is most likely using Herringbone's current and former suppliers, which is pretty good news as the Japanese-made Herringbone suits were uniformly excellent. I'll have to check them out when I'm next in Sydney.

The new name, M.J. Bale, appears to come from Matt Jensen's initials and from a bale of wool.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Thanks for the heads up. I hope they do go ahead with online shopping as their shirts are quite decent and resonably priced. Good to see you blogging again to BTW.

Thanks, it would be nice if I could get going a bit more often than once a week though, but life is busy at the moment. Busy job, trying to keep fit, have just started volunteering for Red Cross once a week and starting French at tafe next month! Not to mention the Tour de france starts soon too!

I really want to do a post on spit shining/bullingsoon as I have just learnt it lately, but the only time I get to take photo's is at night and my camera is not good enough for web quality, but stay tuned.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thetruthisoutthere.jpg

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to do a post on spit shining/bullingsoon as I have just learnt it lately, but the only time I get to take photo's is at night and my camera is not good enough for web quality, but stay tuned.
I used to do real spit polish - with spit - on army boots. I reckon it's too shiney / mirror for shoes. I like my shoes to look like they get worn but are clean with a nice matte or semi gloss. edit: I'm not sneering. Spit polish would be fun* to do while watching tv say. I'm hardly well placed to snark -I've started darning good woollen socks. anyone one want pics and advice? edit2: *not exactly fun more like perhaps mildly practical or diverting

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I've started darning good woollen socks. anyone one want pics and advice?

That made me laugh... I used to have a friend who would rarely come out with us, so we would say "he must be too busy darning his socks"

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks, it would be nice if I could get going a bit more often than once a week though, but life is busy at the moment. Busy job, trying to keep fit, have just started volunteering for Red Cross once a week and starting French at tafe next month! Not to mention the Tour de france starts soon too!

Respect re volunteering for red cross
worship.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads