• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I assume you'll be the one with a pocket square, tie bar, braces and 4" cuffs hovering an inch or two above the brown double monks?

No. No iGentry from me. Though over the next couple of weeks I hope to acquire a couple of items that will no doubt clearly identify me as a member here.

Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Me too. I have to shuttle between the Paris End and the Winter Palace most days.

Thankfully you get a bit of respite. Spare a thought for us poor unfortunates who have to spend all their time in the Wintry Wonderland! You with ANZ?

... saw a guy on the No.1 home tonight with a JLC Reverso, which one of you was it?
patch[1].gif

__PG__

Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels like screaming at all the men in the conservative business dress who wear suits with all their buttons done up?
eh.gif

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbig
After a long-ish abscence; P&Co outlet shop DOES have sales; last time around almost picked up a very nice Cantarelli flannel suit, fully canvassed and all for $400....unfortunately the armhole height wasnt high enough for me so I didn't pull the trigger. Patience 'fellas....

Sounds interesting! I just bought a pinstripe Cantarelli flannel suit from Azzaro for $650. You are right about the armholes..but I pulled the trigger anyway. I figure that I'll get fussy about armhole height when I go bespoke (or blow $$$'s on D'Avenza et al).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Cool, I went to the MJ Bale Store on Sunday also, had a good experience. Going to do a review on my blog later tonight.

Excellent - I look forward to reading about your impressions. I'd like to have a look at the store when I visit Sydney, hopefully in a month or two.

JTA

Reaction score
Here is a link for any of you gents that would like to read my impressions of M.J Bale.

http://charlieswardrobe.blogspot.com...g-mj-bale.html

I've checked the website and it is mentioned that the construction is "sewn in canvas".
Would that translate to the whole lines (Classic, Collection and MTM) are constructed with full floating interlining (canvassed)?

neyus

Reaction score
Here is a link for any of you gents that would like to read my impressions of M.J Bale.

http://charlieswardrobe.blogspot.com...g-mj-bale.html

Great to read your impressions on this new venture by Matt Jensen. I hope the business stays for years to come.

I like the price points of the products, in particular the shirts.

I agree with your comments about their ties. They are made in some fairly classic patterns and nice fabrics but this is all ruined by the too narrow tie width.

Im hoping DJs in Brisbane start stocking MJ Bale's suits in the near future as they currently sell their shirts. The only decent brand they have there at the moment is Zegna, followed by a splattering of Paul Smith and a rather uninspiring range of Durban.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Me too. I have to shuttle between the Paris End and the Winter Palace most days.
My company is moving into new offices smack up in the "Paris End" of Collins... I'm thinking my spending is going to increase dramatically in a couple of weeks.

As an aside though, is "Paris End" the most ridiculous nickname for the top of Collins St possible? Do you think anyone's ever strolled out onto the Champs-ÉlysÃ
00a9.png
es and thought "Gee, this is just like Collins St between Russell and Spring"?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vegas
My company is moving into new offices smack up in the "Paris End" of Collins... I'm thinking my spending is going to increase dramatically in a couple of weeks.

As an aside though, is "Paris End" the most ridiculous nickname for the top of Collins St possible? Do you think anyone's ever strolled out onto the Champs-ÉlysÃ
00a9.png
es and thought "Gee, this is just like Collins St between Russell and Spring"?

Last year my wife and I were acting as guides for a friend who was visiting Melbourne, from England. He was bemused (to say the least) at my reference to the Paris end of Collins St!
laugh.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
For the life of me I can't remember
blush.gif

Was bored at lunch time so checked the price on those Briggs. Start at $175 for a girly looking umbrella and top out at $275 for a Steal shafted behemoth

neyus

Reaction score
Gents,

I had some spare time today after a meeting and stopped by The tie rack at The Myer Centre in Brisbane.

They currently have 50% off all socks and 30% off ties.

So decided to buy a couple of Italian made socks, a turkish pair and a chinese made navy grenadine like tie. I dont think its a true grenadine but seeing they are impossible to find in the stores in Brisbane so had to buy it. I also needed a replacement to my recently deceased Brooks Brothers tie.

tierack.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's what I purchased. $50 all up.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Neyus.

I think that I'll take a walk over to Tie Rack tomorrow to have a look at the socks. I particularly like the look of middle and right-most pairs in your picture.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Thanks for the heads up, Neyus.

I think that I'll take a walk over to Tie Rack tomorrow to have a look at the socks. I particularly like the look of middle and right-most pairs in your picture.

There was actually quite a good range there that I couldnt make up my mind as to what to purchase. I tried to think of what I had already in the way of socks so my latest choices reflected this line of thinking.

Im really pleased with what you can purchase at Tierack at the moment. I mean its definitely alot better than whats available in most mens stores in Brisbane. Their goods are usually fairly classic and also nicely priced. Its not hard to buy ties of lesser quality or taste in Myer for $70.00. They also have a fairly nice selection of braces (while not albert thurston) are still really nice. I also saw a good range of self tie bow ties which would be perfect for formal wear. They also have a few interesting silk patterned pocket squares up there which I quite nice although they aren't on sale at the moment.

I also noticed that Admiral Quarters/Stuart suits are selling some fairly nice wooden coat hangers with a trouser bar for about $4.00 each. They are ex shop fitting so feature a little bit of that patina from being roughed up a little. Also worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads