1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some consulting guy

Some consulting guy Active Member

I think I might have got a Henry Bucks invite to special preview - or am I confusing the two?

No, I got the Bucks invite as well. The Collins St store.

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

3. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

anyone have a recomendation for places which sell chinos online? i was frustrated to find the RL shop (which had a sale) didnt ship outside the US.

just looking for something other than khaki and navy which are the only available options near me...

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

anyone have a recomendation for places which sell chinos online? i was frustrated to find the RL shop (which had a sale) didnt ship outside the US.

just looking for something other than khaki and navy which are the only available options near me...

I have a couple of pairs of Charles Tyrwhitt chinos which are quite decent. They are on sale at present, in a variety of colours:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ym-gbpdefa...nned=&browse=Y

Or, you could try somewhere like Lands End's "Canvas" range:

http://canvas.landsend.com/ix/canvas...as-Men-_-D-2-2

5. Blackpool

Blackpool New Member

I'm very picky with the toe shape of my shoes, nothing seems to satisfy. Could someone link me to a picture of some very good looking shoes? I just dont seem to like anything.

I think australian brands are really under-rated though. For example http://menofblackpool.blogspot.com/ have a lot of stylish stuff and its all australian.

6. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

^ I assumed this was spam. But then I clicked on the link and I can't figure out what the hell it is...

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have been having trouble finding stuff locally. All my chinos were pleated and wide thighed. I've given them away or kept them for slobbing in garden.

I know roughly what I want.

Flat front, slim without being tights, no low rise, around 9" opening, 10" at knee and in some good colours - even if tan, olive, off white etc - maybe some rust ones , light brown - I can't find anything local.

Same with moleskins - I don't want to look like a squatter or private school boy on rural work experience but some sensible moleskins would be alright.

And some twill/ thicker material - name escapes me now.

Any places in Melb that sell such stuff?

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

^ I assumed this was spam. But then I clicked on the link and I can't figure out what the hell it is...

I think it is spam - for what looks like underwear etc aimed at a gay mens market in Sydney.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have a couple of pairs of Charles Tyrwhitt chinos which are quite decent. They are on sale at present, in a variety of colours:

Jman - they run true to size?

Can you just turn the web cam off and slip them off and measure the bottom cuff opening for me ?

Thanks

10. LTM

LTM Well-Known Member

UK firm Peter Christian were once recommended on this forum for moleskins but I have not tried them myself yet. Looking at the website, they might be squatters!

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Tailor Store now sells MTM chinos online. Or you can choose a standard RTW size from them as well.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've been looking at these MTM chino's. There doesn't seem to be an option for cuffs on the design process, am I missing something?

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Here is the link

Canali suits reduced to a mere $1700? Ties on sale at $245?

The Henry Bucks sale - where prices are reduced to the level of merely outrageous.

14. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I thought exactly the same thing.

15. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Chinos = Sportscraft, Herringbone, Rodd & Gun. (Herringbone do not sell online)

Sportscraft do Charcoal coloured chinos.

The other option might be to use a proxy for the RL gear... There are some Korean ones, where they buy the item in the US and ship to Korea, but you can get them to ship to Australia. All you have to do is learn Korean to navigate the website, (no biggie).

16. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

There's also priceusa and a couple others which escape me at the moment.
    PriceUSA is an australian company as well from memory.

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't had a squiz at Sportscraft for ages.

One of the things I don't like is the trend now to have a bit of stretchy in everything. My experience is that stretchy doesn't hang well and soon gets strange little baggy bits.

Rodd& Gunn I had a quick look the other day in Chaddy - in the past I've been a bit put off by the upmarket Rivers look or something. (although I have a few great Rivers slim fit casual shirts) - I should give R&G another look.

I also strolled through RL in Chaddy but didn't look at the chinos at all. Some of the RL workers seem to have a touch of the Rhodes & Beckett's too cool for school about them.

I can recommend Chaddy on a cold Monday arvo - no one there at all and shop people happy for a chat and friendly - DJs has a reasonable range there too.

CR seemed to have a bit of a new and wider range there - grey woollen pants and a few other good things - although again I didn't really check anything out.

Trennery seems very disappointing - I predict a closure soon - seems to be not clear about direction - on one hand its playing to the older guy/woman and yet all the photos show groovey young things - and the styling seems to be all over the place.

18. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

The other option might be to use a proxy for the RL gear... There are some Korean ones, where they buy the item in the US and ship to Korea, but you can get them to ship to Australia. All you have to do is learn Korean to navigate the website, (no biggie).

I'll give a +1 to sportscraft for chinos. I have a couple pairs, and like the fit.

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't had a squiz at Sportscraft for ages.

One of the things I don't like is the trend now to have a bit of stretchy in everything. My experience is that stretchy doesn't hang well and soon gets strange little baggy bits.

Rodd& Gunn I had a quick look the other day in Chaddy - in the past I've been a bit put off by the upmarket Rivers look or something. (although I have a few great Rivers slim fit casual shirts) - I should give R&G another look.

I also strolled through RL in Chaddy but didn't look at the chinos at all. Some of the RL workers seem to have a touch of the Rhodes & Beckett's too cool for school about them.

I can recommend Chaddy on a cold Monday arvo - no one there at all and shop people happy for a chat and friendly - DJs has a reasonable range there too.

CR seemed to have a bit of a new and wider range there - grey woollen pants and a few other good things - although again I didn't really check anything out.

Trennery seems very disappointing - I predict a closure soon - seems to be not clear about direction - on one hand its playing to the older guy/woman and yet all the photos show groovey young things - and the styling seems to be all over the place.

Agree on most of this. Country Road is kind of frustrating for me.. on a rare occassion they'll have something decent, but you have to sift through a lot of crap to find it.

Last time I was in Rodd & Gunn I found a great sportscoat, but when trying on the shoulders were way off.

Wish Perth had a Herriingbone. Quaility at a decent price, and they select their lines very well. Really miss it as the only thing here that comes close is Parker and Co, and they're above my pay grade.

19. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

parker and co dont register as value for money to me either

where do you get sportscraft? david jones?

im after something flat front and slim cut in colours other than beige and green. i bought some rod and gun but they are so wide in the leg they almost look like flares. considered getting them altered.

off to sydney in august so ill wait until i get there

20. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

parker and co dont register as value for money to me either

where do you get sportscraft? david jones?

im after something flat front and slim cut in colours other than beige and green. i bought some rod and gun but they are so wide in the leg they almost look like flares. considered getting them altered.

off to sydney in august so ill wait until i get there

I think both DJs and Myers stock sportscraft. They have a standalone shop in Ennex 100 also.

Ah Sydney. Shopping is so much better. Make sure you check out Herringbone (and their outlet in Surry Hills if you get the chance). MJ Bale may also be worth a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.