• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many blazers should I own?

minervau

Reaction score
As many as you're willing to wear, right? I think I'm up to 8 or 9 now, and trying to build my collection to around a dozen.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Think of adding a tweed SC, also I started a separate thread on SC rotation. If you follow this forum for awhile, your closet will be filled as your wallet empties.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright
I only have two blazers... black and navy (they're really similar in color, the dark navy one has silver buttons and the black one is... all black), I was wondering how many blazers a guy should have in his wardrobe. (I'm 18 if that helps at all)

i see you have received a number of typically helpful responses.

since you're 18, you're not going to need much more than 3-4 at most. get one with a traditional houndstooth or plaid -- it's more casual than the blue blazer, and a bit more interesting. a couple in cotton (even more casual) will perhaps be even more helpful given what you want to use them for.

things will get more complicated when you enter the professional working world and the rest of your wardrobe advances, but with the above you should be set for now.

tightandbright

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
i see you have received a number of typically helpful responses.

since you're 18, you're not going to need much more than 3-4 at most. get one with a traditional houndstooth or plaid -- it's more casual than the blue blazer, and a bit more interesting. a couple in cotton (even more casual) will perhaps be even more helpful given what you want to use them for.

things will get more complicated when you enter the professional working world and the rest of your wardrobe advances, but with the above you should be set for now.

Yeah, both blazers I own are cotton. I don't want a super formal blazer, I just want casual preppy clothes. I'm thinking of getting a grey one next, thanks for the advice everyone.

vincerich

Reaction score
At 18, you really don't need any blazers. You could make it through the next few years by simply adding a few v-neck sweaters to your wardrobe. To answer your question, there's no set number of blazers that a man should own. Some men have blazers and sportcoats that reach double digits in number; some men simply take the jackets from their suits and wear them separately. I personally wouldn't recommend the second practice, but 99% of the people who you meet in "real" life won't notice or care, so don't stress yourself out.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
At 18, you really don't need any blazers.

Incorrect.

JG000

Reaction score
5-6 should be plenty to start with (unless you wear one every day), build your collection over time form there

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At age 18, you are probably fine with two blazers unless you routinely wear coat and tie to work. Bear in mind that your body is going to undergo quite a few changes over the next several years, so its would be foolish to invest a lot of money in garments you're going to outgrow quite soon.

Case in point: when I was 18, I wore a size 39 blazer. For most of my life I have been a size 46 or 48.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Bear in mind that your body is going to undergo quite a few changes over the next several years, so its would be foolish to invest a lot of money in garments you're going to outgrow quite soon.

This is important. Don't spend too much right now.

highendstyle

Reaction score
I own a few blazers, but living in Los Angeles where every writer and actor seems to sport a blazer I wonder if they will end up going out of style in the near future? Or maybe they will be timeless look?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highendstyle
I own a few blazers, but living in Los Angeles where every writer and actor seems to sport a blazer I wonder if they will end up going out of style in the near future? Or maybe they will be timeless look?

Men wear jackets. It's part of growing up. Los Angeles may have warped values, but at least remember this one lesson.

Frodo

Reaction score
Post pics of you wearing the blazers. Chances are they don't fit very well, truth be told. It's better to have two solid blazers that you've worked on with an alterations tailor to get them fitting as well as possible before you worry about adding more numbers.

A common mistake is to start buying before you understand what dressing is about. You wind up with items that you'll later hate and will get rid of. Buy slowly, one thing at a time, the best you can afford. Buy only what you really need for your lifestyle, not what you think you should have to "be a man" or any of that rot.

But first work on fit. As JLibourel said above, in 5 years, you'll have a different body than you do now. But for now, if you have two blazers, of any color, that actually fit you well, you'll be the rare 18 year old.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Classic styles are timeless. As many blazers as you want, theres no set number. I own a lot of jackets as I rather match them with pants and sweaters than wear suits. (Don't require either for work) So I probably have 15-20 blazers, but only 4 suits. If I prefered to wear suits I would only need 3 or 4 sc's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads