• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
2 BB 346(the real one) USA made sack suits in charcoal, and gray pinstripe
Majer made in Italy blue pinstripe suit(vitale barberis canonico wool)
Norman Hilton 3 piece tan suit with lots of handwork

Would love to see pics of all these suits (approximate sizes?)

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
picked these up,brand new never worn Floorsheim classic long wing tip brogue dress shoes,size 12 (missized as a 10,dimensions of sole 12.75 inches long,3.25 at narrowest point 4.5 at widest). funny thing is iam a size 12 and i bought them just to flip for another item thinking they were a size 10,still they are up fo sale in BS (but i have a better price for fellow thrifters if interested pm me). gorgeous shoes,just not my style.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
... and you jackasses find kiton and isasia suits for 1/3 of the price i found my hickey for! ...and this age old low-end suit is the nicest suit i own
frown.gif

Originally Posted by AlanC
... H-F is one of the finest American made suits, and older models can be quite well made.

I agree with Alan: the last piece of tailored clothing I scored was an older HF suit. I'd put it in the early 90's and it's one of the nicest suits I have. Thank goodness, because the suit well has dried up for me. Prior to the HF - at a Goodwill of all places - I hadn't encountered a decent nested suit in months. I fear that the Goodwill trend of breaking them up has caught on. That, or all of these independents are just buying the GW overflow.

Speaking of that I stumbled upon the GW warehouse here in Dallas. That thing is the size of a Wal-Mart regional distribution center! I had no idea they dealt with that much volume. No wonder they sell off excess. Just image is you could sort through those trucks everyday and cherry pick..... Of course, someone is probably already doing just that.

Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
Yesterday I scored a ... new Kuhlman SC made in Italy for $5.

I have a few pieces of Kuhlman tailored clothing and they are some of my favorites. They may not be super high quality but the style of them is unique and impeccable. Good find.

PS - I'm willing to pay a premium to anyone who has/or finds any around a 46R. - I bought mine at an outlet in Indiana while on a business trip. I have never seen a single piece down here because they just didn't catch on.

Originally Posted by tsaltzma
...Majer made in Italy blue pinstripe suit(vitale barberis canonico wool)
Norman Hilton 3 piece tan suit with lots of handwork - this is one of the nicest suits i've seen firsthand...

worship.gif
Pics please!

Okay weekend:
2 Polo ties, an Abboud, and a NWT Valentino tie - $1.49 each
Claiborne tie - I know, but it must be vintage because it was made in Italy. I bought it because it is a nice black/silver houndstooth w/ small embroidered crests all over - $1.49
Luciano Barbera woven and a Zegna silk knit tie - $2.00 each
Zanella slacks - the first pair I've ever seen that didn't have 12 pleats - $8.00
Zegna sportshirt - $8.00
Hickey-Freeman and Ike Behar for Neiman's dress shirts - $3.99 each
Florsheim Imperial plain toe dress shoes. Definitly vintage because they have the three nails near the arch and what appear to be 20 of them holding the heel on. They also have the metal V cleat. They need a new heel/sole but the previous owner knew how to take care of shoes because the leather is supple and appears to have been kept highly shined. I have some Churches custom grade and a pair of BB wingtips and I have to say these may be the best made. - $4.00. Opinion: When I get these re-soled should I have the cobbler replicate the original heel or just put on a standard replacement heel?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66

I have a few pieces of Kuhlman tailored clothing and they are some of my favorites. They may not be super high quality but the style of them is unique and impeccable. Good find.

PS - I'm willing to pay a premium to anyone who has/or finds any around a 46R. - I bought mine at an outlet in Indiana while on a business trip. I have never seen a single piece down here because they just didn't catch on.

Jeez! Where where you around Christmas of '09?? I had a beautiful 3 btn check sportcoat from Kuhlman. Made in Italy. Side vented and half or full-canvassed. It was a Euro 56 R or a US 46 R if I remember right. I'm a 44R and it was a little large on me. Nobody would buy it - ended up selling it for something crazy like $15 shipped!

Kuhlman used to have 3 stores and one outlet here in Minnesota. Now those are all gone
frown.gif

Now we have offshoots of the original Kuhlman. Hammer-Made from Jason Hammerberg, who used to design for Kuhlman now has a shop of full of his own designs. He has some very cool Kuhlman-esque shirts, ties, socks, pocket squares and a few tailored items.

S. Kuhlman (Scott and Susan Kuhlman) is the redesigned Kuhlman. They have one shop in Minneapolis and they may have a couple more scattered across the country. I haven't seen the stuff in person, but from looking at their online shop the shirts seem to be a bit more toned-down and a little mroe pricier.

digitone

Reaction score
Thrift stores are awesome, but word of caution: look out for bedbugs / nasty bugs. Keep all the clothes you buy bagged tightly and get them cleaned ASAP. hehe. Infestations can happen.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Jeez! Where where you around Christmas of '09?? I had a beautiful 3 btn check sportcoat from Kuhlman. Made in Italy. Side vented and half or full-canvassed. It was a Euro 56 R or a US 46 R if I remember right. I'm a 44R and it was a little large on me. Nobody would buy it - ended up selling it for something crazy like $15 shipped! .

censored.gif
baldy[1].gif

Originally Posted by Nataku
..S. Kuhlman (Scott and Susan Kuhlman) is the redesigned Kuhlman. They have one shop in Minneapolis and they may have a couple more scattered across the country. I haven't seen the stuff in person, but from looking at their online shop the shirts seem to be a bit more toned-down and a little mroe pricier.

They sell the shirts at the local Dillards. I was never a big fan of their shirts. (In fact, I've got 5 BNWT dress shirts in 17.5 if anybody'd interested) To me they were too trendy. I just loved the cut of the suits and sportcoats with the overlapping ticket pocket, high armholes, and puckered sleeve-heads.

The last time I was in Minneapolis I was so pumped to get to that remaining Kuhlman store. I was dissapointed to find that they had switched to a generic, 3B model with conventional shoulders. That's been a couple of years so hopefully they'll get back to their original look.

Today at lunch - I guess I b*tched too soon about not finding tailored clothes:
Belvest navy blazer - $1.99
Two custom made, fully canvassed, SB, 2B, center-vented suits with pick-stitching and surgeons cuffs. Both are Zegna fabrics (one's a black/brown tic weave and the others a charcoal gray with brown windowpane) and made by some guy I've never heard of in Boston. They're in the car but I think the label was something like Rousseau?? Anyway, they fit perfect and were $6.99 each.

That light you see in the distance is my thrifting afterglow.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nice Kuhlman SC on Ebay for sale, looks like it might be brand new. Also, me and the other guys here in Minneapolis come across Kuhlman shirts everyday. 46 is fairly common too.

Need help figuring out size of Hickey suit I bought today, not marked in coat that I can see.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
I have a nice Kuhlman SC on Ebay for sale, looks like it might be brand new. Also, me and the other guys here in Minneapolis come across Kuhlman shirts everyday. 46 is fairly common too.

Need help figuring out size of Hickey suit I bought today, not marked in coat that I can see.

PM sent for details.

I'd appreciate my brothers from the Great Frozen North giving me first shot at those 46 Kuhlman suits and sportcoats when they come across them.

Those custom suits I scored today were by Alan Rouleau of Boston.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Ah this thread is so frustrating for me. After reading of all of the success, I have constantly been checking my local Goodwills and Salvation Army's, to no avail! I have litterally not found a single decent item in my several trips and searches. Sorry, I just wanted to complain
musicboohoo[1].gif

On another note, does anyone know any good places to score in the Chicagoland area?
laugh.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
fun day in Baltimore, found a nice pair of Cheaney oxfords in brown pebble in my size ($5)
5 ties, a couple of Brooks Bros, a Talbott, a Christian Dior with a neat red pattern and a no name wool plaid that I plan to experiment with. Also a cool Brooks Bros sport coat with patch pockets, much thinner than the Norman Hilton so I can wear it more in the summer months.

They were also putting out about 6 Facconable shirts but none struck my fancy

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Reading all these nice finds has be pumped for tomorrow! Going on an area tour of about 12 thrifts/consignors - hope to find something worth posting!

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Just moved to Greenville, SC for a couple months. Looks like there's a pretty nice concentration of shops. I'll see what I can find when I have a free afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads