• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Ok..maybe it's just me....but I just don't get the whole knit tie thingie. Can someone old and wise explain the appeal to me?

click here

Reaction score
Knit ties are useful in making a formal appearance look casual. They also add extra texture to an outfit when variety is needed.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Ok..maybe it's just me....but I just don't get the whole knit tie thingie. Can someone old and wise explain the appeal to me?

Yep I think it's just you
smile.gif
I have 4 in regular rotation, a navy Herringbone I got when working there, a country road dark blue I got for $12 at the outlet in DFO, an oxford one I paid $20 for and a CEO beige on I paid $15 for.

I don't work in a uniformed environment like a formal city office and can be much more creative/in-formal (i.e wear whatever I like). They are good with suits but also denim and button downs with a blazer.

te_chris

Reaction score
New Zealander here, I got a great deal on 2 pairs of country road shoes today. $300 for a pair of black leather oil-look boots and a pair of brown moccasin/boot type things. Sure, i wanted comme des garcons brogued boots, but I'm in dunedin, it's cold and these were CHEAP. I know, i'm probably a pariah r something, but they look great and because they were so cheap I can wear them in Dunedin's incredibly questionable weather without always worrying if they'll get ruined or not! Although I normally ***** about aussie chain stores, go sales :p

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by te_chris
New Zealander here, I got a great deal on 2 pairs of country road shoes today. $300 for a pair of black leather oil-look boots and a pair of brown moccasin/boot type things. Sure, i wanted comme des garcons brogued boots, but I'm in dunedin, it's cold and these were CHEAP. I know, i'm probably a pariah r something, but they look great and because they were so cheap I can wear them in Dunedin's incredibly questionable weather without always worrying if they'll get ruined or not! Although I normally ***** about aussie chain stores, go sales :p

I have 1 pair of CR brogues that I really should wear again soon. They are corrected grain but welted (not goodyear obv). The last is actually quite nice but I can really tell the difference between thm and my english GY welted shoes, the soles are much thinner. All in all though, I'm a CR fan, and wear a lot of casual stuff from them but nothing tailored.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
New Zealander here,..I know, i'm probably a pariah r something,

In the context of this thread, the issue really isn't the boots.

- B

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Like anything there are good knit ties and crap knit ties. There are smooth shiny ones, which I don't go for, and there are softer cotton or wool ones. A knit tie works well with a sportscoat and can add a bit of texture and is one way to wear a tie dressed down a rung. For those hot days when just wearing a shirt without a jacket I reckon a straight bottom wool knit tie looks just right - not like you've taken your suit jacket off. Not too conservative business dress legal partner type on one hand and not too BBQ casual on the other - the tie gives a respectful nod toward business while hinting at non stuffy rather than sloppy casual. I might be wrong but I always thought the history of the knit tie, like a lot of other men's clothes, was from the military - I think they still wear them.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem being a Kiwi - sheesh we even have to put up with Seppos dropping in and asking about kangaroos, tassie devils and if its ok to wear a blue blazer with grey pants to a prom - whatever that is. And they can't even spell grey. At $300 why don't you look at Herring and Pediwear for boots. For around $200aud you'll get great stuff posted to your doorstep. And those poms know bit about foul weather (and foul food) Anyway welcome and say hello to Neil Finn and the Topp Twins for me.

__PG__

Reaction score
Anyone in Melbourne interested in Cantarelli suits, Bossini on Collins st has a few on sale for about $1000.

They are also selling Versace Collection (yes I know they're fused and made in China) for $600-$700. He had a chalk pinstripe in Wool/Cashmere for $750.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
$200 AUD = $5000 NZD
tounge.gif

Expat kiwi here living in Oz. Great country ... Like a bigger NZ with better weather and less sheep and more bogans.

Originally Posted by fxh
No problem being a Kiwi - sheesh we even have to put up with Seppos dropping in and asking about kangaroos, tassie devils and if its ok to wear a blue blazer with grey pants to a prom - whatever that is. And they can't even spell grey.

At $300 why don't you look at Herring and Pediwear for boots. For around $200aud you'll get great stuff posted to your doorstep. And those poms know bit about foul weather (and foul food)

Anyway welcome and say hello to Neil Finn and the Topp Twins for me.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
$200 AUD = $5000 NZD
tounge.gif

Actually $aud200 = $246.66nzd right now. aud$ dropped from $0.92usa to $0.82usa last night. I don't buy much from usa these days but lots of books from UK Book Depository - cheaper by 30% than oz and free postage to doorstep usually 6 days, available months before in Oz, and often they are hardbacks.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Actually $aud200 = $246.66nzd right now.

aud$ dropped from $0.92usa to $0.82usa last night.

I don't buy much from usa these days but lots of books from UK Book Depository - cheaper by 30% than oz and free postage to doorstep usually 6 days, available months before in Oz, and often they are hardbacks.

Looks like the AUD is fast becoming the Down Under Peso again. What type of books are you buying?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aus $ will recover. It always does. It dropped like this last year after nearly reaching parity and then got back into the 90s. It will do so again before too long.

te_chris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
No problem being a Kiwi - sheesh we even have to put up with Seppos dropping in and asking about kangaroos, tassie devils and if its ok to wear a blue blazer with grey pants to a prom - whatever that is. And they can't even spell grey.

At $300 why don't you look at Herring and Pediwear for boots. For around $200aud you'll get great stuff posted to your doorstep. And those poms know bit about foul weather (and foul food)

Anyway welcome and say hello to Neil Finn and the Topp Twins for me.

you misread my post I think: it was $300 for the boots AND the leather moccasin type things. hence bargain. the boots alone were only $250. Although I was recently in Auckland and needed some shoes for a wedding so ended up getting some aquila 1958's because they were the only ones that looked decent (think chronicles type thing) and somewhat affordable and they cost me a very reluctant $350. shoe shopping in nz is pretty terrible. loakes are 400 + (i looked at that uk site last night, wow our prices are criminal!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads