• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Chino: J.Crew Urban vs. BB Milano

Jay687

Reaction score
I've been on a search for slim fit Chino's and down to these options. I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions. I have went to the closest J.Crew and BB stores but neither had them... so was outta luck.

Does anyone happen to have the measurements of the 30W for either?

My J.Crew Essential Fit are a bit too large in the thigh/rise, and I have heard this doesn't actually change for the Urban Fit. If true, that's unfortunate.

However, are the Milano's any slimmer in either area? I have yet to find measurements and if anyone has them... it'd be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, BB Milano's are more expensive... but I'm assuming quality is better? Though I'm perfectly content with J.Crew quality to be honest. The non-ironing characteristic of the BB chinos would be very nice though. However, what would most of you suggest about the crease? How do you wear yours (say for in the office, business casual)? And with the BB chinos, do I at least have the option of ironing out the crease? I'd assume so, but no idea.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advance/opinions.

Picture References:

J.Crew Urban Fit:

images_onFigure_24_24976_24976_GR6214_m_tif_98900b8d421118ae.jpg

BB Milano:

72WXYF9CBD3R3H67DGST.jpg

van_hammersly

Reaction score
No clue about Brooks Brothers but I actually just emailed J.Crew about their chino sizing since I was curious. These are for the Essential Chinos:

Urban Slim
urbanslimfit19488.png

Classic Fit
classicfit83687.png

Regular Fit
regularfit65891.png

Think I might try the Classic Fit. I have a pair of Urban Slims and sort of hate the way it tapers below the knee. Classic Fit seems the same from the knee up.

Jay687

Reaction score
Damn. Thanks for that! VERY helpful. Maybe I'll email BB for the same information, hopefully they have it...

Jay687

Reaction score
I have classic fit (I said essential in post but that fit doesn't exist, lol). They are perfect from knee down actually, not too much taper or anything.

However, they are a bit big in the thigh/rise area. However, it seems like the Urban Fit aren't much different, if anything bigger for some measurements, like thigh, which is odd. I wish they just made Urban Fit slimmer EVERYWHERE. I'd rather that then something that is still too big in the thighs but just tapers more, which doesn't necessarily look good.

I guess I'll have to see what Milano sizing is.

If anyone knows, the information would be appreciated. Thanks.

flyguy7

Reaction score
agreed^ the j.crew urban slim is pretty wide still in the thigh and tapers a lot, you can see in the photo. This actually works real well for me, because lifting has widened my upper leg a lot. I'm about 99% positive the urban is available online only, so no you shouldn't find it in any stores. No experience with the BB.
1001127x.jpg

blynch

Reaction score
Urban slim works for me, while the classic fit was a bit too loose. Measurements look similar, but I think the cut on the urban is still slimmer in the top block, sometimes the numbers don't account for everything. Also, forum affiliate Epaulet just released a pair of chinos today, might be a bit slimmer than jcrew's offerings. I'm going to order a pair: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail

Jay687

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll take a shot at the BB milanos... since I know how the J.Crew fit in the thigh and don't like it. Or maybe could get some bigger thighs. Heavy squats here I come. Ha.

Well, here's to hoping the BB Milanos have measurements that are a bit better on me.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just visit a tailor and get the pants slimmed down the way you want them? It is a very easy fix. Also have noted that J Crew chinos (the Bowery pants specifically) seem kinda stretchy so you may be able to size down on these.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
Also, forum affiliate Epaulet just released a pair of chinos today, might be a bit slimmer than jcrew's offerings. I'm going to order a pair: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail
Not sure how they compare with the BB Milano, but Epaulet's Rivet Chinos are most definitely slimmer than any of the three aforementioned J. Crew styles. If price is a concern, you should be aware that BB's chinos run > $50 less than Epaulet, and J. Crew's are less than half the price of the Epaulet chinos, but I'd be willing to wager that Epaulet's quality surpasses BB and J. Crew significantly. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with. I'm curious about all these options myself. - Keith

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried on some BB Milano pants...

It was quite a while ago but I think my decision was that they were actually too slim for me ( in the thigh area)

So they might work well for you
smile.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The BB's look to be slightly higher rise (a good thing, in my book). Can anyone confirm this?

Jay687

Reaction score
^lol, I agree... those are really riding up on him.

I'm not looking for my chinos to be that slim btw, since think it is a bit much. Additionally, those are far too expensive for me. Even the BB ones are pushing it. And speaking of BB, I emailed them for measurements, but got none... so if anyone has measurements of their own, they are encouraged to post 'em.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyguy7
agreed^ the j.crew urban slim is pretty wide still in the thigh and tapers a lot, you can see in the photo. This actually works real well for me, because lifting has widened my upper leg a lot. I'm about 99% positive the urban is available online only, so no you shouldn't find it in any stores. No experience with the BB.

Urban Slim is not online only.

BR's new Vintage straight Chinos are ******* Boss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads