1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Slim Fit Chino: J.Crew Urban vs. BB Milano

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jay687, May 18, 2010.

1. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

BB Milanos fit TTS, J. Crew USF fit 1 size big

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I've bought urban slim at the retail store.

+1

3. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

BB Milanos fit TTS, J. Crew USF fit 1 size big

Thanks. I'm gonna grab the USF at 28" now. Then head to a BB store and compare.

I dunno my exact inseam size, would you guys suggest going a bit long or just unhemmed? I would assume a bit long would serve exact purpose as unhemmed (get them hemmed by tailor) and make it easier too compare against the BB Milanos. Since assuming I cannot go get them hemmed and still return to J.Crew.

Also, never had pants rehemmed. If I go no cuffs (minimal stitching), there will be no signs of thread holes, right?

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

So, does anyone know how they run? I called and emailed, they don't have measurements, which is annoying...
    What's even more annoying is that the sales associate wouldn't put you on hold for a minute, grab a cloth tape, and measure a damned pair for you. How much effort does that take? If said SA is with a customer, he could have grabbed your phone number and called you back. - Keith

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Also, forum affiliate Epaulet just released a pair of chinos today, might be a bit slimmer than jcrew's offerings. I'm going to order a pair: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...British/Detail

I would like to see other fit pics, but those look too slim in the pics they are providing. Legs are ok, but the area around his butt is too tight.

6. bartz

bartz Member

Today I went to compare the J.Crew USF to the BB Milano after confirming that they both had each in the store. It turned out that J.Crew did not have any USF in store (even though they told me that they did). I did try on some of their other pants and confirmed that my size was 30x30. I then went to Brooks Brothers to try on the Milano. BB has true sizing so I had to go with the 31x30. Ultimately, I decided that Brooks Brother Milano (though more expensive after the J.Crew college discount) was the better deal for me. I was particularly impressed by the stitching on the Milano compared to J.Crew's pants. I am always cautious about the area right under the bottom of the zipper. On cheaper pants, something weird always happens in this area, such as not sitting flat or stitches showing through. The BB Milano were very flat in this area and the stitching was even and consistent. I will admit that the J.Crew pants have a better color selection and are more stylized with wear, but are very casual. The wear is acceptable, but I particularly hate the wrinkled look across the top of the pants near the belt line, even though it would often be covered up with a belt. The Milano walks the line between casual and formal, which I prefer because it gives me more flexibility. The fabric on the Milano is thicker, which I find more comfortable and better looking. The lines on the Milano are all clean and smooth, which looks excellent. I am not crazy about the crease from pressing on the Milano, but I will let that wear out because I will be wearing them mostly in casual settings. The sizing on the Milano was perfect for me, but that's a more personal consideration. Plus it's great that they stock them in stores so you can actually know what you are getting, instead of ordering them online.
    I will see how the Milano holds up over time, but right now I am pretty sold on them.

I also bought an interesting check pattern Extra Slim Shirt from BB. I really like the fit and look on that.

7. gillatine

gillatine New Member

agreed^ the j.crew urban slim is pretty wide still in the thigh and tapers a lot, you can see in the photo. This actually works real well for me, because lifting has widened my upper leg a lot. I'm about 99% positive the urban is available online only, so no you shouldn't find it in any stores. No experience with the BB.
    [​IMG]

hey fellow chino lovers! this is my first post here on styleforum..I wanted to ask you flyguy about the urban slim sizing because I am tall with bigger thighs too. Did you, or do you recommend buying a size up in these pants because of this??

8. e23

e23 Senior member

I wouldn't recommend the Jcrew Urban if you're looking for a slim fit. It's very wide at the thighs and not a fan of the "taper"

9. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

I wouldn't recommend the Jcrew Urban if you're looking for a slim fit. It's very wide at the thighs and not a fan of the "taper"

The Milano is not much better. Both are shit.

10. clarence_y

clarence_y Well-Known Member

The Milano is not much better. Both are shit.

It's slightly amusing that right below that statement you have a for sale ad for both pants. [​IMG]

11. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

It's slightly amusing that right below that statement you have a for sale ad for both pants. [​IMG]

Ha

Luckily both places took them back.

Got more Jcrew Slims for sale BTW: Rustic Orange and some variation of Nantucket Red.

12. darkbat

darkbat Well-Known Member

Ha

Luckily both places took them back.

Got more Jcrew Slims for sale BTW: Rustic Orange and some variation of Nantucket Red.

if both are shit what would you recommend instead?

13. gillatine

gillatine New Member

some of us have some thigh muscles and the slim fit chino is probably the way to go like flyguy7 said, for people like us..the "taper" at the bottom in theory can be avoidable with ordering a longer leg, and the sizing that someone posted early on is a great reference point for what measurements your comfortable with.

I am ordering a pair of the urban slim chino's I can't decide whether to choose the broken-in or the essential..I'd wear these with my Converse Jack Purcell low Raceround sneakers,... and also a pair of the classic fit in essential dill or broken-in dark stone to rock with a Pair of Jordan's, with a waffle Henley and a hugo boss scarf...fresh!

any help with essential or broken in would be great! it sucks all the colors are not the same for both

14. Abliss

Abliss Senior member

Sorry for bumping old topic, but have anyone new information that they want to share with us that seek a nice pair of chino's.

15. naths

naths Well-Known Member

What's the measurements for the waist laid flat and the leg opening on the BB Milanos 30X30?
    I bought a pair of Urban Slim Fits in 30X30 and was slightly disappointed by their ridiculous vanity sizing.
    Also, how is the fabric of BB chinos compared to RL chinos?

16. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

I would also like to thank those of you who have participated in this thread: I have been looking at picking up some Essential Shinos from J Crew and I was initially thinking Urban Slims, but after reading this thread, I think I may have to reconsider.

If anyone can provide actual measurements for either the BB Milanos or the J Crew Urban Slim Essential Chinos, I'd be most obliged. I typically find myself in the 33 to 34 waist range and 32 to 33 inseam range, depending on the brand of pants; if that's you too, your measurements would be especially appreciated!

Other suggestions for some slim chinos are certainly welcome, but stuff in the epaulet price range is a bit out of my price range currently.

EDIT: I was browsing around the BB website and attempting to figure out the fits. Can someone please confirm or correct the following:

BB casual pants from loosest to slimmest:
    Elliot/Hudson (relaxed)
    Clark/Thompson (straight)
    Milano (slimmest)

BB dress trousers from loosest to slimmest:
    Madison (full)
    Fitzgerald (timmer)
    Regent (slimmer)
    Milano (slimmest)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  17. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

how cheap can you get the milanos for when they're on sale. i remember a sale a few months ago where a ton of different styles hit 35$ is that the cheapest?

18. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

These are the current Milano casual pants available, so based on the retail prices I'm seeing, $35 is probably about as low as you'd expect to see them. That's just a guess though.

[​IMG]

19. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

I really like the fabric of the J Crew Urban based on pictures, but how tapered is it? Because I don't like it when a chinos tightens around my calves when I sit down.

20. Fashion Fan

Fashion Fan Senior member

I want to know this too Rankiz.