• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uniqlones -- NY Mag on the rise of Uniqlo

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesse Thorn (aka YoungAmerican) of PutThisOn, put me on to this recent NY Mag article detailing the rise of Uniqlo in the mass retail world: http://nymag.com/fashion/features/65898/

Pretty good read that covers how the retailer is focusing on fabrication as opposed to fashion, to a little about why Jil Sander chose to come out of retirement for them.

dunkin

Reaction score
bit late but maybe others havent seen it yet

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah but i figured there was enough material in the article to pull out more than a few worthwhile discussions that didn't involve j. crew.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the article before but: i wonder how they fold their shirts. i don't use a board most of the times unless i am having trouble with a fat men's item. Wondering if they air fold like I do with the women's pieces or fold an entirely different way?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
People were talking about it on the Uniqlo thread last week ...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=96221&page=39

in passing, amongst a bunch of "why isn't there a uniqlo proxy" and clothing-specific questions.

i just thought with the glut of posts in the "why designer clothes cost so much" thread, it'd be interesting to see what people thought about the other side of the spectrum.

for example there's this quote:
Originally Posted by NY Mag
Despite its low price tags, however, Uniqlo doesn’t fall neatly into the category of deep discounter. Like the mass-fashion brands, it delivers a low-cost product that shares qualities of high-end retail. “Uniqlo is a bit of a different animal,” says Luca Solca, who covers retail for Bernstein Research. “And what’s different about Uniqlo is that they have chosen fabric, rather than fashion, as the area where they want to excel.”

and then:
Originally Posted by Jil Sander
It is my vision to create uniforms for the future: pure, sophisticated clothes that work like a common language for the global community.

i mean, uniqlo and american apparel have a lot of overlap in the types of goods they produce and the experimentation with in-house fabrication, yet despite not having as much domestic presence as the latter uniqlo is making a killing.

yet just a year or two ago the standard sf uniform was aa hoodie, aa tee, apc new standards, and chucks. i even remember user kodiak starting a thread asking about how his aa shirt fit! next thing you saw he bought a pair of nudies, then diors, then cps... within the span of like six months.

van_hammersly

Reaction score
The article seems to indicate that clothes are no longer specifically sized larger for the American market. My only experience with Uniqlo was some XS oxfords from a few years ago that fit like an american Small. Is it true the sizing is smaller?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to the UNiqlo store a few weekends ago. Don't see the hoopla.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Went to the UNiqlo store a few weekends ago. Don't see the hoopla.

But did you see the swarming blipsters?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never been, but isn't it like a Gap for Asian sized people? As in nondescript clothing? Is it easily identifiable or what?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say that's pretty accurate, though the selection is far larger than any comparable brand. In my limited experience (one visit plus two shirts and a pair of jeans), the fabric quality is a bit better than GAP. The prices are better, too.

What the store does is offer a lot of basic items that fit well and will compliment mid-tier or higher end pieces. Personally, I find their shirts to suffice most of my shirting needs. Likewise, it'd be my go-to place if I needed something that looked nice, but I know wouldn't get a ton of use (like a trench).

EDIT: And if we're just talking about the US store, the sizing isn't THAT different than GAP or J. Crew. A bit slimmer, but my medium button-downs could still stand to be taken in a little and I usually waft between a medium and large.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The morale-building rituals described in the article remind me of the stuff they do at Wal-Mart.

i was definitely weirded out by the "my name is Uniqlo" bits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads