• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get hit by customs fees seeing as Herring ships via UPS to North America? I don't feel like paying $50 in handling fees to UPS on a $100 shoe I'm interested in...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Did anyone get hit by customs fees seeing as Herring ships via UPS to North America? I don't feel like paying $50 in handling fees to UPS on a $100 shoe I'm interested in...

My past purchases were shipped by Royal Air Mail so perhaps they still offer that option if you request it. No customs brokerage fees, but I did get hit with Canadian duties + taxes.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased from Herring's a pair of Church's "Sheldon" black cap toe balmoral oxfords for my wedding. I should be receiving them soon.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
My past purchases were shipped by Royal Air Mail so perhaps they still offer that option if you request it. No customs brokerage fees, but I did get hit with Canadian duties + taxes.

Much obliged, I'll see if they still offer the option.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Last time they shipped to me in Canada I believe it was UPS, but it was an expedited 'Saver' method that must have had the brokerage fee included. You mainly have to watch out for 'UPS Ground' re brokerage, and that's not going to be an issue w/ England.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score

Was it actual duties or just sales taxes? I know duty for non Canadian or US made clothing is 18%, so if you add that to our sales taxes it gets a bit nasty.

I got dinged 18%+7%+5% on shoes from PLAL a couple years back, but thankfully they had significantly undervalued them on the form.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
Was it actual duties or just sales taxes? I know duty for non Canadian or US made clothing is 18%, so if you add that to our sales taxes it gets a bit nasty.

I got dinged 18%+7%+5% on shoes from PLAL a couple years back, but thankfully they had significantly undervalued them on the form.

Definitely duties + GST and QST, although I don't recall duties being 18%. I could be wrong since it's been a while.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
I didn't get the 18% duty on a pair of Church's seconds I ordered recently. I don't know if they missed it, or if they were under some dollar threshold.

trader

Reaction score
last week i got hit with 18% pst + gst + 5 dollar handling fee with royal mail into canada =/ and it sat in customs for 10 days. bitches

best to do UPS express if they offer it (edwardsofmanchester do and i didn't have to pay any taxes at all)

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Wes Bourne, Wrenkin and trader - thanks all for the info and experiences.

Canada Customs does let stuff go through, they simply cannot process every package is my guess and I notice lower dollar figure items go through completely free.

Other times just PST/GST and no duty.

So if you get lucky great. Unfortunately, trader got tagged to help control the deficit it seems

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
last week i got hit with 18% pst + gst + 5 dollar handling fee with royal mail into canada =/ and it sat in customs for 10 days. bitches

best to do UPS express if they offer it (edwardsofmanchester do and i didn't have to pay any taxes at all)

Good to know. So no customs brokerage and zero taxes?!?! How much did EoM charge you for UPS express shipping? They have something I'm interested in...

trader

Reaction score
Good to know. So no customs brokerage and zero taxes?!?! How much did EoM charge you for UPS express shipping? They have something I'm interested in...
i just checked and it seems that it's their standard shipping method. 20 pounds. i remember the sale, edgwares for only 199 pounds shipped
smile.gif
yup, it was just sitting in my mailbox down the street. and it even came the same week! ups express/worldwide always includes brokerage fees i believe. don't know why there were no taxes. never got a bill in the mail after either. would definitely buy from them again. with royal mail you have to sign and pay up
bored.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics