• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Investing Mistakes Have You Made?

gungadin25

Reaction score
I haven't invested in the stock market in over two years now. At first, I was saving for a down payment on a house and did not want to risk it in the stock market. Then I decided a house in my part of town wasn't worth it and the stock market crashed. Then the subsequent bull market seemed too ridiculous so I didn't invest anything then.

Looking back, I could have totally screwed myself by buying in before the crash. But I also missed out on the recovery. Am I making another mistake by not buying now because the market looks like it is at a peak? Maybe the overall mistake is trying to time the market...

What mistakes have you made?

runner-guy

Reaction score
I haven't made any serious ones, but my brother and father invested in a penny stock company that made mine detectors. It was basically a sham and they both lost thousands.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holding leveraged ETFs over time.

Next time I will read the prospectus.

JoyDiffusion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
Looking back, I could have totally screwed myself by buying in before the crash. But I also missed out on the recovery. Am I making another mistake by not buying now because the market looks like it is at a peak? Maybe the overall mistake is trying to time the market...

Yeah, penny stocks aren't 'investing' any more than playing a game of 3 Card Monty is. There's a reason why those 'companies' are traded OTC, rather than held by the smart money (private equity). That said, the guys that run them are criminals, who far too often get away with it, I'm afraid.

The most common mistakes I make stem from a tendency to hold onto both my winners and losers for too long. You've got to be willing to take your profits off the table, and cut your losses when you know you're beat, because you can't fight the market.

For the OP, I think you hit the nail on the head. Trying to time the market is a major sin. Stocks are the best long term investment you can make, so long as your definition of 'long term' is 30+ years. I agree that it's a mistake to go all-in right now, for the exact reasons you mention. However, there's no harm in getting in the game if you do it gradually. If you've got 10 grand to invest, why not put in 2500 this year, 2500 the next, and so on...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lost ****** in a nonconventional natural gas penny stock. Market tanked right when they were about to get a loan to prove up their reserves.

hobo_ken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gungadin25
I haven't invested in the stock market in over two years now. At first, I was saving for a down payment on a house and did not want to risk it in the stock market. Then I decided a house in my part of town wasn't worth it and the stock market crashed. Then the subsequent bull market seemed too ridiculous so I didn't invest anything then.

Yup, you can't really time the market. Just go in at a point you are happy with, and remember not to invest what you can't afford to lose.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have some $$ in two small cap pharmas. ATM they are proving to be mistakes. But not a mistake til I sell
smile.gif

hobo_ken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Have some $$ in two small cap pharmas. ATM they are proving to be mistakes. But not a mistake til I sell
smile.gif

Haha, that's what I tell myself too. Unrealized gains/losses until I sell.
laugh.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buying and holding when I should have known better.. Example? I bought 3,000 shares of DYN for a buck or less back in 2001 when the energy market was melting down. I had faith in their business model, and felt pretty strongly that they would make it. It bumped up over $8, then $10, but I held, even when I knew I should have taken profits. Price today? A buck and a quarter. That's right, 5 shiny quarters per share..
ffffuuuu.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
smile.gif

I am in the same situation. Two of my pharmas tanked badly in the last week...others are down a bit but holding...only one is doing great, up over 100%.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i was trying to buy a few Dow stocks today while drunk and instead of buying 16 shares i mistyped and accidentally bought 16 billion shares
facepalm.gif
i hope that didn't cause any problems for anybody
frown.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i was trying to buy a few Dow stocks today while drunk and instead of buying 16 shares i mistyped and accidentally bought 16 billion shares
facepalm.gif

i hope that didn't cause any problems for anybody
frown.gif

Thanks H - I scooped up Phillip Morris for $2/share! Kiton shoes for everyone!

MrNick

Reaction score
Half my money with Madoff and the other half in Lehman Brothers stock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads