Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Investing Mistakes Have You Made?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gungadin25, May 6, 2010.

1. gungadin25

gungadin25 Senior member

I haven't invested in the stock market in over two years now. At first, I was saving for a down payment on a house and did not want to risk it in the stock market. Then I decided a house in my part of town wasn't worth it and the stock market crashed. Then the subsequent bull market seemed too ridiculous so I didn't invest anything then.

Looking back, I could have totally screwed myself by buying in before the crash. But I also missed out on the recovery. Am I making another mistake by not buying now because the market looks like it is at a peak? Maybe the overall mistake is trying to time the market...

What mistakes have you made?

2. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I haven't made any serious ones, but my brother and father invested in a penny stock company that made mine detectors. It was basically a sham and they both lost thousands.

3. unjung

unjung Senior member

Holding leveraged ETFs over time.

Next time I will read the prospectus.

4. JoyDiffusion

JoyDiffusion Senior member

Looking back, I could have totally screwed myself by buying in before the crash. But I also missed out on the recovery. Am I making another mistake by not buying now because the market looks like it is at a peak? Maybe the overall mistake is trying to time the market...

Yeah, penny stocks aren't 'investing' any more than playing a game of 3 Card Monty is. There's a reason why those 'companies' are traded OTC, rather than held by the smart money (private equity). That said, the guys that run them are criminals, who far too often get away with it, I'm afraid.

The most common mistakes I make stem from a tendency to hold onto both my winners and losers for too long. You've got to be willing to take your profits off the table, and cut your losses when you know you're beat, because you can't fight the market.

For the OP, I think you hit the nail on the head. Trying to time the market is a major sin. Stocks are the best long term investment you can make, so long as your definition of 'long term' is 30+ years. I agree that it's a mistake to go all-in right now, for the exact reasons you mention. However, there's no harm in getting in the game if you do it gradually. If you've got 10 grand to invest, why not put in 2500 this year, 2500 the next, and so on...

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Lost my ass in a nonconventional natural gas penny stock. Market tanked right when they were about to get a loan to prove up their reserves.

6. hobo_ken

hobo_ken Senior member

I haven't invested in the stock market in over two years now. At first, I was saving for a down payment on a house and did not want to risk it in the stock market. Then I decided a house in my part of town wasn't worth it and the stock market crashed. Then the subsequent bull market seemed too ridiculous so I didn't invest anything then.

Yup, you can't really time the market. Just go in at a point you are happy with, and remember not to invest what you can't afford to lose.

7. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Have some $$ in two small cap pharmas. ATM they are proving to be mistakes. But not a mistake til I sell [​IMG]

8. hobo_ken

hobo_ken Senior member

Have some $$ in two small cap pharmas. ATM they are proving to be mistakes. But not a mistake til I sell [​IMG]

Haha, that's what I tell myself too. Unrealized gains/losses until I sell. [​IMG]

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Buying and holding when I should have known better.. Example? I bought 3,000 shares of DYN for a buck or less back in 2001 when the energy market was melting down. I had faith in their business model, and felt pretty strongly that they would make it. It bumped up over $8, then $10, but I held, even when I knew I should have taken profits. Price today? A buck and a quarter. That's right, 5 shiny quarters per share.. [​IMG]

10. Alter

Alter Senior member

I am in the same situation. Two of my pharmas tanked badly in the last week...others are down a bit but holding...only one is doing great, up over 100%.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I bought deep in Tom Ford shirts early, made a killing, however I see the market is saturated now, so I wiped out my portfolio.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i was trying to buy a few Dow stocks today while drunk and instead of buying 16 shares i mistyped and accidentally bought 16 billion shares [​IMG] i hope that didn't cause any problems for anybody [​IMG]

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Nortel [​IMG]

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

i was trying to buy a few Dow stocks today while drunk and instead of buying 16 shares i mistyped and accidentally bought 16 billion shares [​IMG]

i hope that didn't cause any problems for anybody [​IMG]

Thanks H - I scooped up Phillip Morris for $2/share! Kiton shoes for everyone!

15. MrNick

MrNick Senior member

Half my money with Madoff and the other half in Lehman Brothers stock.