• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling All Marketing Professionals

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
I'm looking for some insights into the field of marketing.

I'm in my 2nd year of studying marketing at an (!) undergrad bschool. Absolutely love it. However, I often worry about the fact that it is a "fallback" major for many people. Many don't share the same passion for the major as I do, to say the least.

For those with experience, what are the most important characteristics to have to become successful in the field?

Is there any advice you can give to someone entering the field?

What can I do to stand out from the others in my graduating class/entering the field?

What is your personal experience with the profession?

I'll probably come up with a few more questions to ask, but that's all I have for now.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pm me. too long to post here.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Japzhe
Hey man, hate to break it to you, but Carlson is hardly a top ranked school.
Alright. An undergrad bschool with a good standing.
laugh.gif
It doesn't bother me. I just transfered in.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
My problem is, I've only seen the most glorious parts of the field.

I've shadowed a few top execs of ad/marketing firms and their job is absolutely incredible. The story of how either of them got to the top is very ambiguous. I'm realistic enough to know that the entry-level jobs aren't as pretty as the work at the top of the ladder.

Although I've read reports of the field expanding in future years (ironic because it's taking a HUGE hit by the current economic slump), I'm still nervous about the fact that it is flooded by a bunch of hopefuls like myself.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also like an insight, I'm currently 1st year at university studying International Advertising, Marketing and Communications.

I'm essentially hoping that by being the most enthusiastic and dedicated to the profession as a whole, I will rise above my classmates, but this may be a slightly naive.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
will pm you back later today. hope it helps.

Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
I'm looking for some insights into the field of marketing.

I'm in my 2nd year of studying marketing at an (!) undergrad bschool. Absolutely love it. However, I often worry about the fact that it is a "fallback" major for many people. Many don't share the same passion for the major as I do, to say the least.

For those with experience, what are the most important characteristics to have to become successful in the field?

Is there any advice you can give to someone entering the field?

What can I do to stand out from the others in my graduating class/entering the field?

What is your personal experience with the profession?

I'll probably come up with a few more questions to ask, but that's all I have for now.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ad work is pretty different from being in marketing management for a company. i am in the latter group (we typically employ the ad guys on a contract/account basis to run campaigns for us). it actually works pretty similarly to Mad Men, where we have meetings with the agency to talk about our 'positioning' and they come up with campaigns and marketing plans to deliver the 'message'.

my advice on standing out is twofold. please note that i am talking about product management, which is only one of a few different marketing fields.

first, be very flexible and willing to learn. when starting out, you will have a lot to learn about your company's products, its culture, its customers and their needs, the rules and processes, etc. if you are in product management, you need to quickly show mastery of your product, the reasons people should buy it, and the needs of your customer. in my job, i don't personally run a product portfolio, but i have oversight over people who do - i've ceased to be surprised at how some marketing managers have so little knowledge over such basic things like the terms and conditions of their product, or the regulations surrounding their markets.

second, have a high degree of proficiency and comfort with data - getting it thru market research, and using it to inform your decisions. data is gold in this profession, and you want to prove that you can use it, and not gut feel, to understand how big your target market can be, your total revenue opportunity, and things like that. be able to use all these tools that help you boil down consumer behavior into sets of data that you can compare empirically.

we had a person here once who designed a product line because she 'felt it was the ideal product for today's consumer'. turns out it was the ideal product for HER, and we only got a few thousand customers because not everyone in the country was like her.

hope this helps

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
ad work is pretty different from being in marketing management for a company. i am in the latter group (we typically employ the ad guys on a contract/account basis to run campaigns for us). it actually works pretty similarly to Mad Men, where we have meetings with the agency to talk about our 'positioning' and they come up with campaigns and marketing plans to deliver the 'message'.

my advice on standing out is twofold. please note that i am talking about product management, which is only one of a few different marketing fields.

first, be very flexible and willing to learn. when starting out, you will have a lot to learn about your company's products, its culture, its customers and their needs, the rules and processes, etc. if you are in product management, you need to quickly show mastery of your product, the reasons people should buy it, and the needs of your customer. in my job, i don't personally run a product portfolio, but i have oversight over people who do - i've ceased to be surprised at how some marketing managers have so little knowledge over such basic things like the terms and conditions of their product, or the regulations surrounding their markets.

second, have a high degree of proficiency and comfort with data - getting it thru market research, and using it to inform your decisions. data is gold in this profession, and you want to prove that you can use it, and not gut feel, to understand how big your target market can be, your total revenue opportunity, and things like that. be able to use all these tools that help you boil down consumer behavior into sets of data that you can compare empirically.

we had a person here once who designed a product line because she 'felt it was the ideal product for today's consumer'. turns out it was the ideal product for HER, and we only got a few thousand customers because not everyone in the country was like her.

hope this helps

Thanks.

Funny thing--I hate when people present their 'findings' and say: "I think the target audience"...No. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm glad you mentioned research. I've the idea that every last little part of a campaign/strategy needs to be supported by research. It's funny how many people I've met don't understand that.

v1100110

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi

A lot of great products are developed this way. Wouldn't it be up to the marketing department to get the message of the product out to the right people?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate works in marketing for a major telco. The skills he possesses include writing BS reports, ordering trinkets, and watching sitcoms in small windows in the corner of his computer screen.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sounds about right

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads