• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've never gone to a 'steakhouse' per se. Is this what one should expect to be charged somewhere like Smith and Wollensky's or a Mortons/Ruth Chris, et al?

Can one ever (in the US) get actual Japanese Kobe?

next time you are in chicago lets discuss

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
next time you are in chicago lets discuss
Chicago, somehow, always slips through my travels. Have never been. When I do, you'll be my first call. Drinks at Violet Hour or Bar Deville, then we can discuss the steak over the steak. ~ H

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Friday night I made the mistake of going to the Chicago Chop House. I ordered the dry-aged Kobe "tomahawk" ribeye and my fiancee ordered the Oscar-style filet.

First, they brought me the wrong entree - the waitress set before me a plain filet. Back went both steaks. Twenty minutes later we get our food - my fiancee's filet looked like it had been put under a heat lamp in the intervening time, so I am certain that they didn't make her a new entree. Meanwhile, my "Kobe" ribeye wasn't done correctly - I ordered medium rare and half the steak was medium, and also the steak was chewy not "buttery". While I was tempted to send the meals back, the future-missus didn't want to wait any longer so we simply forged on.

After we paid, I mentioned the problem to the waitress and we received a dessert to take home.

A very expensive mistake on my part.

Apparently, the "Kobe" served at the Chop House is from an outfit in Texas and thus is not "real" Kobe - I figured as much.

Did it say Kobe or did it say Wagyu? If it said Wagyu, then that's fine b/c most of the wagyu in the states is unlabeled American wagyu which is obviously woefully below the real deal.
The best restaurants can, and do. At Cyrus, we were receiving 4 entire striploins of grade A5 Wagyu every week.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

The best restaurants can, and do. At Cyrus, we were receiving 4 entire striploins of grade A5 Wagyu every week.

That was some of the best bites of my life.
drool.gif

K-dub, part of Friday's entree is sous vide veal cheeks
smile.gif

Sadly, no comp'ed waygu ribs this weekend
frown.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's american wagyu and then there's american wagyu. i've had top scale from snake river farms beside what was purported to be a5 kobe, and it was as good. but wagyu is just a breed name and the way the animal is raised and fed probably has more to do with the quality than the genetics (best, of course, is genetics + management, or nature and nurture).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
there's american wagyu and then there's american wagyu. i've had top scale from snake river farms beside what was purported to be a5 kobe, and it was as good. but wagyu is just a breed name and the way the animal is raised and fed probably has more to do with the quality than the genetics (best, of course, is genetics + management, or nature and nurture).

Do you believe in spanking your Waygu?
laugh.gif

(no ****).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Do you believe in spanking your Waygu?
laugh.gif

(no ****).

i believe in firmly caressing it (ibid).

rvan

Reaction score
One thing that is pissing me off is the opening of pizza/salad places all over Kansas City, and also the explosion of gourmet burger joints, 5 guys, smashburger, blanc burger, i feel like everywhere in south kansas city you can only get burgers or chinese food.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Did it say Kobe or did it say Wagyu? If it said Wagyu, then that's fine b/c most of the wagyu in the states is unlabeled American wagyu which is obviously woefully below the real deal.

The menu listed it as "Kobe", not Wagyu. I overheard one of the other servers informing another table that the beef was from Texas.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
The menu listed it as "Kobe", not Wagyu. I overheard one of the other servers informing another table that the beef was from Texas.

usually they use a construction such as "american-style kobe".

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
usually they use a construction such as "american-style kobe".

Not here - the Kobe entrees (and other dishes) were on a separate "specials" card, not on the main menu.

Huntsman, the Violet Hour is a good call and a favorite in our neighborhood.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rvan
One thing that is pissing me off is the opening of pizza/salad places all over Kansas City, and also the explosion of gourmet burger joints, 5 guys, smashburger, blanc burger, i feel like everywhere in south kansas city you can only get burgers or chinese food.

This should not be pissing you off, because you guys in KC only ever had Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang's, and Fuddrucker's as the outliers, to begin with. The shining gems of KC are obviously BBQ, and Vietnamese food, if you're into it, and there's no shortage of either. Really good Mexican food exists, I'm sure, but I've never felt compelled to hang around KC long enough to discover it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, i'm not sure if it's still there, but i seem to recall eating at a lidia bastianich restaurant in kc, too. and let's not forget fried chicken!

Cordwinder

Reaction score
I've never gone to a 'steakhouse' per se. Is this what one should expect to be charged somewhere like Smith and Wollensky's or a Mortons/Ruth Chris, et al?

Just fly out here.
Have your beef, experience new culture and leave satisfied you had real Kobe Beef in Japan.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chicago, somehow, always slips through my travels. Have never been.
~ H

Whenever you make it there you'll enjoy it, greatly. Terrific city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads