• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
Yo rfx45 and nil. Are you two criminals in ny? I'm coming up this Friday. Probably gonna ball on the MMM store. Maybe check out Rick Owens and atelier. They have a CdG jacket I want to try on.

Nope. I reside in SoCal. Have fun splurgin though!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
I was surprised until I hit the end and remembered "funeral." At the very least, most of my generation has that sense of decorum at such gatherings (funerals, weddings, etc.). The rest of the time it looks like they rolled out of bed and **** on my eyes.
There will be a strictly enforced dress code for my funeral... I'm thinking white tie
Originally Posted by hendrix
Yeah, this is the same in NZ. Levis and **** are really expensive. Not only is US currency greater than ours, your average income is higher too. Is the price of APCs around 150USD? cos that'd be about 200 here, but it'd probably end up around 250 because people mark up anything from the states (e.g. "The Gap" is marketed as a designer brand). Anyway, I spend about $160 per week on everything: rent, food, bus tickets, electricity internet etc. so $200 is quite a bit of money to be spending on average jeans. There's like 1 department store here which sells a bit of Ralph Lauren and ****. I went in they were selling Florsheim and Loake for $650NZ, that's about $450USD. And unlike some of the other countries, we don't have a really cheap workforce. So not only is average **** really expensive, we also can't get cheap as **** made to measure stuff like Eason does. No wonder we dress crap. However, (probably due to that fact that there are 10:1 sheep to humans) leather jackets and stuff are relatively cheap here. As in, probably same level of construction and quality as TOJ for the same price, just in crappy unflattering cuts. merino knitwear is good (seriously i think high quality merino is just as good as cashmere), except again, terrible cuts. O and merino/bamboo blends make nice socks.
A) Ande Whall B) APCs are French, not American
Originally Posted by APK
I foresee a Lanvin overflow in the B&S forum within the next 12 months.
Not something I'd particularly mind
Originally Posted by APK
I don't think Chrono's point was about having fun or not, but rather, if people hopping on the luxury sneaker bandwagon have the wardrobe to meld them with. Otherwise, the sneakers will look stupid, regardless of your personal opinion on the aesthetic merits of the shoes themselves.
Wal-Mart chambray + Gap selvedge + Lanvins = balla? Balenciaga > Lanvin, imo

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I really hope all these people suddenly buying high-luxe sneakers like lanvin/pierre hardy have the wardrobe to make them look good. Sq4you is one of the few people who wears almost exclusively that kind of muted color, luxe, sorta dressy wardrobe. I see a lot of wasted lanvins in the future as i don't think they elevate everything they touch and aren't as non-descript as say CPs. Sufu had a little lavinz phase like 2years ago and the results varied wildly

I like these a lot, but I keep wondering how I can fit them in. I wear a lot of button down shirts, and I am not convinced they are an ideal match with baller sneakers (or sneakers generally). PS boots (my usual choice) in most cases might be a better option.

But I am interested in trying something different. I am going to pick up some soon and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, well at least I learned something.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I like these a lot, but I keep wondering how I can fit them in. I wear a lot of button down shirts, and I am not convinced they are an ideal match with baller sneakers (or sneakers generally). PS boots (my usual choice) in most cases might be a better option.

But I am interested in trying something different. I am going to pick up some soon and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, well at least I learned something.

As much heat as I got for this fit, I think it works. Although a more neutral color like grey might work better, I still think it isn't bad.
022510ii.jpg

And I guess I need better denim because my 511s and Sliqs just won't cut it anymore?
confused.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yo this place is weird rite now - like borderline surreal

like possible trolls talking to probable trolls talking to tools talking to people are either tools or trolls or some combination and i cant figure out which

no h8 @ this page (or at least most of it)

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
As much heat as I got for this fit, I think it works. Although a more neutral color like grey might work better, I still think it isn't bad.
022510ii.jpg

And I guess I need better denim because my 511s and Sliqs just won't cut it anymore?
confused.gif

I think it works until the shoes. You could rock it with sneakers, maybe not red ones.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I think it works until the shoes. You could rock it with sneakers, maybe not red ones.

Yeah, it was just an example that sneakers could be worn with button ups/down. I agree that a more toned down sneakers would work better.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Only the denim right now at this place called Black Blue though they're getting both their men's and women's clothing this fall.

Never heard of this place, what else do they carry?

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I always feel weird owning multiple items in the same print.

How many leopard prints do you own?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Never heard of this place, what else do they carry?
It's a fairly new place in St. Paul that carries mostly low-to-mid range Americana. They have Red Wings, Rachel Comey, Fred Perry, Gitman, Hyden Yoo, Shades of Greige, Tretorn, etc.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I really hope all these people suddenly buying high-luxe sneakers like lanvin/pierre hardy have the wardrobe to make them look good. Sq4you is one of the few people who wears almost exclusively that kind of muted color, luxe, sorta dressy wardrobe. I see a lot of wasted lanvins in the future as i don't think they elevate everything they touch and aren't as non-descript as say CPs. Sufu had a little lavinz phase like 2years ago and the results varied wildly
I agree with this 100%. Lanvins look really bad taken out of context, sq4you is the only (guy) person I've seen them work on, on the internet or in real life. I've seen cute girls pull them off casually with black tights or something, however. I feel like anyone trying to emulate his looks might be missing the fact that dude has a baller wardrobe and wears it well to accent/complement the "over-the-topness" of the Lanvins. I'd never buy a pair for myself, everything I wear is too simple and clean, and the Lanvins would look terribly out of place, same goes for a lot of the Raf shoes, etc. I like my Rick sneaks (and some of the DBSS shoes as well) because they're more of a "sportswear" item, I wear them casually with sweats and a white t-shirt, sometimes jeans, but never "dressed-up," they're more like a pair of Nike Terminators that I wear to get coffee/pastries in the morning, to the gym, when I'm lounging around, etc.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are over thinking Lanvins too much. Other than the few beads or the zigzag and patterned version, most Lanvins are not much different from other sneakers out there. The general public probably won't even know their Lanvins or a pair of $700+ sneakers when their on your feet. Most of the Lanvins aren't over the top either compared to the hypebeast colorful shoes that has ravaged the streets a year or two ago. Compare to those Bapes or Ice Creams, Lanvins are actually more subdued. MMM's and Raf Simons are actually busier if you think about it, Lanvin just has more bold colors in some of their shoes, but not all.

You don't really need $300-$400 pair of jeans or $200 tees to pull this shoes of:
lanvin-tennis-shoe-1.jpg

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brand synergy, bro

brand synergy

JonB27

Reaction score
I completely agree with RX45, aside from the flashy one's, a lot of Lanvins are simple and don't look out of place. You don't need to try and look like you just walked off of the runway to wear them.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
yo this place is weird rite now - like borderline surreal

like possible trolls talking to probable trolls talking to tools talking to people are either tools or trolls or some combination and i cant figure out which

no h8 @ this page (or at least most of it)

quoted for artistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads