• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should You Marry Someone Your Age or Someone Much Younger?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, conversationally and maturity and relationship experience wise we were similar, and that's why I was into her, but the Saturday night insecurity/jealousy thing was a red flag that past experience has taught me to regard as a dealbreaker.

So ya, not saying she was the perfect woman, far from it, I haven't called her since (although I bumped into her at the gym and was polite and cordial and enjoyed the way she was looking at me as I walked away), but in terms of age/life experience and so on, that age felt about right.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think until you hit about 30 it has allot to do with your state of mind.

I date girls younger than me because their slight adoration balances out my slight insecurities. But having said that I'm only 20 dating 19 year olds.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about young women is eventually having to deal with in-laws who are my age group, it's just awkward.

I prefer young women whose parents have died (preferably bequeathing a large inheritance or a trust fund) or whom they have an irreconcilable relationship with.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I just got done dating a girl +5 years younger then me, the immaturity was a problem. Its the first girl I've dated who was quite a bit younger then me. From now on Im just gonna stay around my age group.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last gf was 31 when we met, but acted like she was 20. It was the worst of all worlds.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I think until you hit about 30 it has allot to do with your state of mind.

I date girls younger than me because their slight adoration balances out my slight insecurities. But having said that I'm only 20 dating 19 year olds.

when you are 20 there is kind of no such thing as 'younger than you' - you have 'your own age' and yes, 19 is 'your own age', and highschool kids, who you most likely wouldn't date. It's a tricky age like that...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
when you are 20 there is kind of no such thing as 'younger than you' - you have 'your own age' and yes, 19 is 'your own age', and highschool kids, who you most likely wouldn't date. It's a tricky age like that...
What about really smart and mature highschool kids? Is there no room in your heart for them?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Best words ever: "Guess what I just turned 18 the other day." On another note, has there ever been a better use of music in a movie than the opening and closing scenes of Manhattan?

customlover

Reaction score
I am 37. When I date younger women I keep telling myself that age is just a number. That works.

BUT not when it comes to marriage. I am rather picky when it comes to choosing Ms Right.
blush.gif
Especially age. I don't want her too young, too old, and I don't want her to be around my age. 27-32 sounds ideal.

Jamie Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
This is a personal decision, but women age faster than men, and most men date girls 1, maybe 2 years younger than them while in college.

A common approach seems to be, step 1: graduate. Step 2: marry college sweet heart. Step 3: 20 years later, divorce for a younger, more virile spouse model.

Shouldn't you just mess around for 20 more years and then find your wife? Seems like a better financial decision.

Or am I just way too shallow?
laugh.gif

Yeah mess around have some kids then marry!

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Older men with cash ******** with young, beautiful women.

Young men that are in shape and handsome ******** with young, beautiful women.

So both these groups sleep with the same women.

So why is it that older men with cash want to be young and handsome, and young men want cash???

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
im young, handsome and in shape. i want cash so that i can be the handsome old guy with time to enjoy it

customlover

Reaction score
I have decided I don't ever want to marry. Getting married means no more time for "play"
lol8[1].gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
In the past year I have developed a reasonable degree of experience with girls a decade or more younger than me. I can't do it. It feels weird to me. End up feeling like a dadmentortype person. This then creeps me out if I think about it at the wrong time, plus, I don't really feel like I am getting any stimulus from them, other than being reminded of what I was like at 22....
Yeah I can understand that, I'm 25 and done with grad school, was flirting with a 19 year old who was just starting school and it brought back all these painful memories of being a confused freshman. her: "I just know I wanna do someth'n fabulous with my life," me: "mm hmm." ...but she was hot.

That being said, I've never really felt the need or got much out of a close, live-in girlfriend... maybe I just haven't me the right person, or I'm pathetically self-centered, but I just don't see the purpose. I guess if I ever wanted to marry someday I would try to find someone who'd let me sleep around (maybe allow her the same), cuz right now I can't imagine monogamy ever being possible with all the profoundly hot tail out there, and the way our society seems to flaunt it.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to imagine there are many women with anything to offer that make it much past 30 without marrying. Of course there must be exceptions, but one of the safest assumptions a guy can make is that there is something glaringly wrong with single women over 30...

Originally Posted by johndept1
22 age is better for marry.

/end thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads