• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

Scooba

Reaction score
After my tailor hemmed my NS's, he pressed them. Is the heat going to do anything to the dye? Like set it in so it wont fade? I then had to iron the crease out of them.

tludwick

Reaction score
Got a pair of APC new standards about 3 months ago, I am actually kind of disappointed in the fit/fades. Have not seen any fades at all with regular wear, and the jeans are very loose in the thigh area as well as a rather wide leg opening. Anyone have any advice on what i would tell a tailor to do to fix this without messing up the selvedge line? thanks.

Roachman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tludwick
Got a pair of APC new standards about 3 months ago, I am actually kind of disappointed in the fit/fades. Have not seen any fades at all with regular wear, and the jeans are very loose in the thigh area as well as a rather wide leg opening. Anyone have any advice on what i would tell a tailor to do to fix this without messing up the selvedge line? thanks.
I'm not sure what to tell your tailor but, from what you are describing, it seems like you bought them too large.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am looking into purchasing my first pair of APCs and live nowhere near a store. I need a bit of sizing advice. I am 5'2", 125 lbs with a 28 waist and 28 inseam. I want to go for the New Standard look, but I think the rise might be a bit too long for me. I'm I should go for the petite standard instead, as the rise is about an inch lower, but am worried it might be too tight. I can't tell if it will be too tight, or if it will just look normal on my frame proportionally.

Anyone have any advice on which model/what sizing to go for?

GupNasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spaghettimatt
Ok, so I am looking into purchasing my first pair of APCs and live nowhere near a store. I need a bit of sizing advice. I am 5'2", 125 lbs with a 28 waist and 28 inseam. I want to go for the New Standard look, but I think the rise might be a bit too long for me. I'm I should go for the petite standard instead, as the rise is about an inch lower, but am worried it might be too tight. I can't tell if it will be too tight, or if it will just look normal on my frame proportionally. Anyone have any advice on which model/what sizing to go for?
Well, I'm trying to get my post count up and it's funny I ran into your post. I'm 5'4", 120 lbs with a 28.5 waist. I have a pair of 27 New Standards and would have to agree that the rise is a bit high on me... I would love to be able to cut an inch off the rise. Anyways, if the rise is too high, the back rise might conclude prematurely and you'll end up with a loose looking back rise getting sucked into your ass (pause). I'm not quite sure if petite standards would be better, but seeing that the rise is an inch lower--and I wish my New Standard's rise was 1 inch less--it might work out for you.

GupNasty

Reaction score

Three months is too short of a time to be expecting amazing fading. I honestly didn't see anything great happen to my pair until after my first wash at about 5 or 6 months. I think a big misconception about raw denim and in particular APC's--this isn't a shot at you specifically, btw--is that after a few months, your jeans are gonna produce noticeable fades. The sad truth is that nothing significant comes about until after the first wash... and also APC's don't really produce that great of fades anyways. I didn't come to realize that until about 6 months in with my New Standards, so just breaking the news to you early: don't get your hopes up, but don't give up early either. I know a bunch of scenarios where people will abandon their APCs after 6 months and get some Flatheads or Samurais.

BTW, if the tailor is good, they'll probably be able to work around the jeans without messing up the selvedge line.

Edit: Apologies for the double post. And in before "cool story bro."

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GupNasty
Three months is too short of a time to be expecting amazing fading. I honestly didn't see anything great happen to my pair until after my first wash at about 5 or 6 months. I think a big misconception about raw denim and in particular APC's--this isn't a shot at you specifically, btw--is that after a few months, your jeans are gonna produce noticeable fades. The sad truth is that nothing significant comes about until after the first wash... and also APC's don't really produce that great of fades anyways. I didn't come to realize that until about 6 months in with my New Standards, so just breaking the news to you early: don't get your hopes up, but don't give up early either. I know a bunch of scenarios where people will abandon their APCs after 6 months and get some Flatheads or Samurais.

BTW, if the tailor is good, they'll probably be able to work around the jeans without messing up the selvedge line.

Substitute hard wear for the wash and I agree 100%.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good post And FWIW I've had mine for about 6 weeks... bought them at the perfect size for me though, they've stretched perfectly and already have noticeable whiskering and honeycombs... the inner thighs are also getting lighter/soft, and I think the knees are coming around too. I have biked into work in these jeans and have been caught in the rain once, to the point that the jeans were soaked... so that may have made a difference. But I think with time they will fade very nicely.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm trying to get my post count up and it's funny I ran into your post. I'm 5'4", 120 lbs with a 28.5 waist. I have a pair of 27 New Standards and would have to agree that the rise is a bit high on me... I would love to be able to cut an inch off the rise. Anyways, if the rise is too high, the back rise might conclude prematurely and you'll end up with a loose looking back rise getting sucked into your ass (pause). I'm not quite sure if petite standards would be better, but seeing that the rise is an inch lower--and I wish my New Standard's rise was 1 inch less--it might work out for you.

This is some good advice. I think I'm going to give a 26 or 27 in the petites a shot and hope they aren't too skinny. Much appreciated.

tman87

Reaction score
Do you'll think the lower rise is here to stay for a long time? Or will the NS go back to the old standard in a couple years?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NS current rise is perfect IMO, but I have large... glutes

tludwick

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys! 2 things i forgot to mention:
i normally wear a 28 or 29 in pants, my waist size is actually somewhere inbetween. i bought my NS a tagged size 26. Also, one of my good friends told me that i should do i presoak so they do not shrink as much, which i did. will this greatly reduce fading and stuff or should i be alright?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys! 2 things i forgot to mention:
i normally wear a 28 or 29 in pants, my waist size is actually somewhere inbetween. i bought my NS a tagged size 26. Also, one of my good friends told me that i should do i presoak so they do not shrink as much, which i did. will this greatly reduce fading and stuff or should i be alright?

You should be all right. Just don't wash or soak them again for a while, just wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads