• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you should never cheap out on

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
The one thing I really don't cheap out on is food, mostly the staples. It's damm expensive but I'll make the effort to buy locally, organic if necessary and non-processed as much as possible.

This is a good point. Cheap staples sometimes jam up the stapler. The higher quality brands can also go through 2 or 3x the number of sheets of paper as the generics. Not to mention the easier unstapling (more generous malleability) if the need arises.

jason.wu.05.09

Reaction score
1) A lot of clothing in general -- suits, sport coats, pants, shoes, etc.

2) Alcohol -- not saying you have to go crazy with the 25-year, but the difference between a $35 liquor and a $15 is really stunning (and I say this as a recent college grad who's had his share of the $15 stuff).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cosmetic surgery.

Engagement rings.

The number-two boss who guards the final path to you, whom the good guys have to fight before they reach you (Note: this only applies if you're a video game villain).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cmpter kybrds

Albern

Reaction score
- anything health-related
- family
- sunglasses
- anything to do with your safety
- weapons
- clothing
- education

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
- anything health-related
- family
- sunglasses
- anything to do with your safety
- weapons
- clothing
- education

Is this one of those which one doesn't belong kind of things?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

If it is, sunglasses was the wrong choice, my man.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard

Vintage_Cartier_Santos_Sunglasses_44.JPG

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
underwear... I don't mind buying new clothes- but somehow I don't find pleasure in purchasing underwear so if I do I make sure the the band won't turn into soggy bacon nor the ass part gets droopy after several washes.

also- burgers.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The number-two boss who guards the final path to you, whom the good guys have to fight before they reach you (Note: this only applies if you're a video game villain).

Not cheaping out on Lasik for your henchmen is probably cheaper.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cologne
Face and skin products, like aftershave balm

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

laugh.gif
Seriously though I don't think it's worth it to cheap out on a good pair of sunglasses to protect your eyes. In my experience you get what you pay for but only up to a certain price point - I think $450 tops is all you need. Anything above that isn't really worth it if we're talking about value. For example I have 3 pairs of Tom Ford sunglasses that go for about $600 to $800 and they're not nearly as nice as my Oliver Peoples or Persols which are half that when considering clarity et al.

Okay then, one of these things is not like the other; one of these things just doesn't belong. Can you tell me which thing is not like the other, by the time I finish this song.
smile.gif
(something like that)

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Godot
I'd say a watch. I know a guy with like 7 Invicta watches, when for the same money he could buy one decent watch.
He's probably thinking "I know a guy with like 1 expensive watch, when for the same money he could have brought like 7 Invicta's." All watches tell time the same, except for automatics which are actually worse than cheapo quartz.
Originally Posted by ter1413
A tailor......Inexpensive does not equal cheap...
+100. A cheap tailor ruining expensive clothing will cost you dearly.
Originally Posted by uhurit
shoes suits jeans haircuts ties watches cars booze toilet paper writing instruments shaving paraphernalia
Pretty much this whole list is ridiculous, except for the shoes bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads