• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does your college experience sound much better than mine?

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Granted, it's only been a couple of years since I graduated undergrad, but no nostalgia is going to change my experiences.

You guys make it sound like in college, all you did was get laid and have giant parties. My experience was nothing like that. I was working to pay for school. I didn't study as much as I should have, and barely kept up my grades. Played some sports. I had fun at parties at first but they were really tame affairs. I had a grand total of one real relationship. Toward the end of my undergrad years I was enjoying my time, but more looking forward to graduating. Maybe should have traveled more, or went on exchange.

To the contrary, I think I've had more fun since graduation. It's nice to have some money and be able to do things.

I can't be the only one who had only a decent college experience, right? It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't stellar, either.

I hear you there.. right now just juggling two jobs and paying through one more year of school. The time drain and lack of funds after tuition probably play a big factor.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the internet. Members of a clothing forum where male members get dressed up to post pictures of themselves for other men obviously get laid far more than you do. Clearly, the typical poster here has slept with hundreds of women, practices at least three martial arts, and drives an Aston Martin.

Socially awkward and sit behind a computer all day? Not here!!

kakemono

Reaction score
Because the only ones who post are the ones being crazy, partying, and ******* hot women.

No ones posts: "I studied for 8 hours today and yesterday I met with a study group for a test this morning," but in all reality most people are doing the 2nd one.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having money helps a lot. I also worked through school. Then again, I met my wife as a freshman, so I didn't get to sleep around.

I've had so much more fun when I was out working, had money, and had no real responsibilities other than showing up to work on time. Now that I'm in med school it's still a ton more fun -- work hard, play even harder.

-Stylist-

Reaction score
^ play harder than study in med school?
redface.gif

darnelled

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
Having money helps a lot. I also worked through school. Then again, I met my wife as a freshman, so I didn't get to sleep around.

I've had so much more fun when I was out working, had money, and had no real responsibilities other than showing up to work on time. Now that I'm in med school it's still a ton more fun -- work hard, play even harder.

Really?
I spent 80-100 hours/week either studying or working various rotations while in med-school, plus I was completely dependant on student loans (AKA Dirt Poor).

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never went to college.
frown.gif

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even try to have an exciting experience at university and crazy **** happens to me randomly on a fairly regular basis. I'm not sure how you can have a boring time unless you avoid stuff purposely. I'm in a tough program, so I don't have as much time to party and do **** as most people do. But still, **** goes down often.

I mean... I've done stupid **** with random chicks, gotten wasted in an engineering class, gotten kicked out of clubs, had my house set on fire, shotgunned beers on the roof of a 5 story building, wore some girl's heels at a party, been kicked out of a fast-food establishment, made out with someone while dressed as Jesus, sang countless drunk ballads, watched someone get branded, drank a flask of scotch while sitting in the front row of the largest class in school, participated in a 7000 person street party etc. etc. etc.

I have probably done way more stuf I don't even remember.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of this 'college experience' crap is just being drunk... and self-describing oneself as having a 'crazy time.' I'm with you OP, college sucked and I was glad to get out of it. Thankfully for the more mature of us, college won't be the highlight of your life... I for one have had the opportunity to travel a lot, and getting involved with a few girls overseas and having experiences there has been a lot more thrilling and self-fulfilling than hanging around some ****** apartments or dorm rooms in some college town getting wasted. That being said, as Listi pointed out, I did purposefully avoid that stuff and I'm sure it could have been fun.

American culture stresses the college years as supposedly the most exciting time in your life, and colleges fabricate themselves on that premise (4 years for BA? c'mon)... since the assumption was you were married once you graduated. I can't imagine ever getting married, much less insulting that institution by then later reminiscing about my bachelor years as some sort of 'golden age.' I think most men have a desire to get a exploratory period of their life out of their system... if you can't do it in college, do it after, or do it forever like a prurient frenchman.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cause mine was out of necessity. Had a stupid major and I honestly spent more time completely bored doing nothing at the frat then I did studying. If it wasnt for the partying and drinking I wouldve gone crazy.

Had I had a major where I needed to do one bit of work I probably would have had a better experience.

Oh, and I didnt work through school either. $400 a month in child support checks was great.

Looking back, Id have done it all different. oh wel.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm working a 50 hour week and trying to finish my course a year earlier than everyone else. As I type this i'm alone in a house that is usually filled with 57 people, they're all at home for Easter with their families and I'm setting my alarm so that I can be at work at 8:30am.
frown.gif
All I know is that when my neighbours are having their liver transplants in 10 years, I'll be driving by the hospital in a Porsche
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads