1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why does your college experience sound much better than mine?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by intent, Mar 29, 2010.

1. -Stylist-

-Stylist- Senior member

^ play harder than study in med school? [​IMG]

2. darnelled

darnelled Senior member

Having money helps a lot. I also worked through school. Then again, I met my wife as a freshman, so I didn't get to sleep around.

I've had so much more fun when I was out working, had money, and had no real responsibilities other than showing up to work on time. Now that I'm in med school it's still a ton more fun -- work hard, play even harder.

Really?
    I spent 80-100 hours/week either studying or working various rotations while in med-school, plus I was completely dependant on student loans (AKA Dirt Poor).

3. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

+Beer and sluts.

+coke and tequila

4. TEPLimey

TEPLimey Well-Known Member

5. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I never went to college. [​IMG]

6. Listi

Listi Senior member

I don't even try to have an exciting experience at university and crazy shit happens to me randomly on a fairly regular basis. I'm not sure how you can have a boring time unless you avoid stuff purposely. I'm in a tough program, so I don't have as much time to party and do shit as most people do. But still, shit goes down often.

I mean... I've done stupid shit with random chicks, gotten wasted in an engineering class, gotten kicked out of clubs, had my house set on fire, shotgunned beers on the roof of a 5 story building, wore some girl's heels at a party, been kicked out of a fast-food establishment, made out with someone while dressed as Jesus, sang countless drunk ballads, watched someone get branded, drank a flask of scotch while sitting in the front row of the largest class in school, participated in a 7000 person street party etc. etc. etc.

I have probably done way more stuf I don't even remember.

7. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

A lot of this 'college experience' crap is just being drunk... and self-describing oneself as having a 'crazy time.' I'm with you OP, college sucked and I was glad to get out of it. Thankfully for the more mature of us, college won't be the highlight of your life... I for one have had the opportunity to travel a lot, and getting involved with a few girls overseas and having experiences there has been a lot more thrilling and self-fulfilling than hanging around some shitty apartments or dorm rooms in some college town getting wasted. That being said, as Listi pointed out, I did purposefully avoid that stuff and I'm sure it could have been fun.

American culture stresses the college years as supposedly the most exciting time in your life, and colleges fabricate themselves on that premise (4 years for BA? c'mon)... since the assumption was you were married once you graduated. I can't imagine ever getting married, much less insulting that institution by then later reminiscing about my bachelor years as some sort of 'golden age.' I think most men have a desire to get a exploratory period of their life out of their system... if you can't do it in college, do it after, or do it forever like a prurient frenchman.

8. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

cause mine was out of necessity. Had a stupid major and I honestly spent more time completely bored doing nothing at the frat then I did studying. If it wasnt for the partying and drinking I wouldve gone crazy.

Had I had a major where I needed to do one bit of work I probably would have had a better experience.

Oh, and I didnt work through school either. $400 a month in child support checks was great.

Looking back, Id have done it all different. oh wel.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I thought college was disappointing.

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm working a 50 hour week and trying to finish my course a year earlier than everyone else. As I type this i'm alone in a house that is usually filled with 57 people, they're all at home for Easter with their families and I'm setting my alarm so that I can be at work at 8:30am. [​IMG] All I know is that when my neighbours are having their liver transplants in 10 years, I'll be driving by the hospital in a Porsche[​IMG]

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I'm working a 50 hour week and trying to finish my course a year earlier than everyone else. As I type this i'm alone in a house that is usually filled with 57 people, they're all at home for Easter with their families and I'm setting my alarm so that I can be at work at 8:30am. [​IMG] All I know is that when my neighbours are having their liver transplants in 10 years, I'll be driving by the hospital in a Porsche[​IMG]
    I'd choose the liver transplant...

12. TEPLimey

TEPLimey Well-Known Member

I partied a ton but still qualified for the latter. There is a middle ground between homeless cirrhosis and Bill Gates, after all.

13. CityHunter

CityHunter Senior member

My university experience was quite tame as well...couple parties here and there, few random hook-ups but nothing to write home about. I spent most of my time going home (only 40 mins away) because that's where all my friends lived and they were super lame and didn't want to make the drive to me. But I'm sure that attributed to the fact that my college friend circle was so small = boring experience. My fault.

Fortunately for me (and creepily so) I've been catching up on my "college experience"days only years later. I graduated in 2004, but I've since been involved in various volunteer programs and a theater group (that I was into while in college) so I've been meeting a truck-load of new people, partying, and doing all that...getting the college experience I skipped out on. So I'm that creepy 27 year old partying with all the 21-23 year olds (and sometimes younger. OK, a lot of times younger). Yeah, I admit it. Creep City 2000.

14. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I mean... I've done stupid shit with random chicks, gotten wasted in an engineering class, gotten kicked out of clubs, had my house set on fire, shotgunned beers on the roof of a 5 story building, wore some girl's heels at a party, been kicked out of a fast-food establishment, made out with someone while dressed as Jesus, sang countless drunk ballads, watched someone get branded, drank a flask of scotch while sitting in the front row of the largest class in school, participated in a 7000 person street party etc. etc. etc.

This should make the OP feel much better. Everything in the list is lame and self-induced except for making out with chicks or partying with 7000 people. You want a crazy story to tell about shotgunning beers on the roof of a 5 story building? Guess what you need to do? Find a 5-story building, go to the roof, and shotgun a beer. Next, wear some high heels.

15. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

I was voted "best looking" in my coed residence hall now I hate my face. Curse the gods!

16. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Fortunately for me (and creepily so) I've been catching up on my "college experience"days only years later. I graduated in 2004, but I've since been involved in various volunteer programs and a theater group (that I was into while in college) so I've been meeting a truck-load of new people, partying, and doing all that...getting the college experience I skipped out on. So I'm that creepy 27 year old partying with all the 21-23 year olds (and sometimes younger. OK, a lot of times younger). Yeah, I admit it. Creep City 2000.
    I think the creepiness factor only comes in when you actively try to be like or fit in with the younger kids. If you're just running into them at clubs or parties unassociated with the school, it's fair game and there's been worse besides a 27 year old hitting on a 19 year old. And it's also funny how if you're good-looking and stylish, society will probably let you get away with anything (no one scoffs at george clooney's dates, and that codger's like 50 years old!).

17. Syl

Syl Senior member

Mine was also like yours OP. I was in a tough program with very smart people so had to study very hard very frequently. I did go to parties enough to satisfy myself, and had a couple gfs but otherwise, I don't look back on those days as something I want to re-live.

Mind you, having done well in school, I got some very good jobs (i.e. good pay) and had a blast in my mid-20's. I'm now in my 30's with a family and I still look forward (not back) so that makes me very happy.

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

meh, I had more fun out of college than I did in it.

Still, I'm not whining, I enjoyed my uni years.

19. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i was dirt poor at university and had a great time. no responsibility other than getting the best marks i could.

i have way more money now but alot more worries and feel alot poorer.

20. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Im with you on this one man. I think the main problem is bolded above. The only really cool thing is that I am studying in Japan, but right now I am so fuckin broke its tough to go to any parties or go out with my friends (usually costs from $30~100 for a night of drinking). Working and making time to study puts a serious damper on your fun time. Actually, my first years of college back in the US I went out a lot more often and drank a lot more, but still held a FT job. It was a lot cheaper there. Though I never experienced the kinda "big campus life" that a lot of others always talk about.

Oh shush and go bang your Japanese girlfriend.