• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
L'Artisan Parfumeur Mure et Musc today. This is another one of those fragrances that I find myself reaching for more often in the spring.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Essence of John Galliano room spray today. Excellent firewood and incense scent.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Girlfriend picked this up today. Gave it a shot. Smells like fresh laundry with hints of citrus.
4457646487_defc06d5dd.jpg
4457645479_895f04eb7d.jpg

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Carolina Herrera for men which I got as a gift - a nice hint of cedar in it, although not an instant favorite.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Girlfriend picked this up today. Gave it a shot. Smells like fresh laundry with hints of citrus.
4457646487_defc06d5dd.jpg

Does she have a sister? How is the sillage and lasting power?

ssnyc

Reaction score
inlove.gif
according to my gf (the fragrance junkie)
inlove.gif

The citrus notes in general have short lasting power, the sillage upon first spray/half hour is pretty good, effervescent and bright; but fades into a skin scent after 3 hours. She met Francis Kurkdjian (a master perfumer, creating the classic Jean Paul Gaultier le Male fragrance when he was 23) at Bergdorf, and he recommended this scent for her (and me).

here's the list of fragrances he's created:

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
All I can say is if you want to smell anise gone wrong, try Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Got a sample as a trade, and did not want. I do love the feminine version on woman. I tried convincing my wife to wear it, but I guess telling her it reminded me of strip clubs wasn't the best way to sell her on it.

I am wearing this today! I like anise.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
currently sampling some Michael Kors for men... really liking this and I'm not normally a leather fan, but this is sweet and fruity leather. First impressions make me want to buy a bottle...

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
inlove.gif
according to my gf (the fragrance junkie)
inlove.gif
The citrus notes in general have short lasting power, the sillage upon first spray/half hour is pretty good, effervescent and bright; but fades into a skin scent after 3 hours. She met Francis Kurkdjian (a master perfumer, creating the classic Jean Paul Gaultier le Male fragrance when he was 23) at Bergdorf, and he recommended this scent for her (and me). here's the list of fragrances he's created:

Wow, if he gets royalties from JPG Le Male, he's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Gonna have to try Aqua Universalis Edit: There's even a laundry detergent version http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat24520757

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
currently sampling some Michael Kors for men... really liking this and I'm not normally a leather fan, but this is sweet and fruity leather. First impressions make me want to buy a bottle...

I have a small bottle that I'd be happy to trade you. Maybe I can drop it in the swap box for you. It's just a 1 oz bottle and it's only half full, but I'm pretty much done with it.

arlee

Reaction score
was sampling Lutens Fille En Aiguilles today. loved it piney, woody, fruity, resiny & smokey

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Secretions Magnifiques today. This one, surprisingly, is starting to grow on me. After the metallic blood note starts to recede a little bit, I get a sweet, powdery scent that is actually quite pretty. I should say, though, that the metallic note never goes away entirely.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Very consistent.

Wearing Polo modern reserve today. It reminds me of christmas for some reason

Probably the evergreen/pine note. I remember liking the original Polo...well, once everyone stopped wearing it by the bucketload.

Today - inspired by the 'wet dog' comments and also another thread on another board that reminded me that I have samples and ought to wear them more often... I'm wearing Mechant Loup.

The first few minutes are definitely not pretty, I think the 'wet dog' comment is convenient and actually fairly accurate, and probably comes from salty anise and probably a dose of calone; watery licorice - bleh!

After an hour, the calone fades (weird), and I get a spicy anice vanilla. If I could find a bottle cheap, I'd probaby get it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I have a small bottle that I'd be happy to trade you. Maybe I can drop it in the swap box for you. It's just a 1 oz bottle and it's only half full, but I'm pretty much done with it.

Amazing! I was just looking at getting a 1oz bottle online but they're hard to find. PM sent!

Originally Posted by kulata
Wearing Polo modern reserve today. It reminds me of christmas for some reason
I just got a sample of that. Polo green was one of the first frags I ever smelled as a kid that made me recoil in horror thinking, "wow, old man smell", now I just got some from sephora to see if i can pull it off
blush.gif

Originally Posted by Thomas
Probably the evergreen/pine note. I remember liking the original Polo...well, once everyone stopped wearing it by the bucketload.
Today - inspired by the 'wet dog' comments and also another thread on another board that reminded me that I have samples and ought to wear them more often... I'm wearing Mechant Loup. The first few minutes are definitely not pretty, I think the 'wet dog' comment is convenient and actually fairly accurate, and probably comes from salty anise and probably a dose of calone; watery licorice - bleh! After an hour, the calone fades (weird), and I get a spicy anice vanilla. If I could find a bottle cheap, I'd probaby get it.

Wasn't everyone wearing polo at some point. I recall it having a HUGE presense, though probably before my time.
I tried that Mechant Loup a couple of times, if anything I actually found it smelled very weak (a general criticism of the whole L'artisan line) and all I could detect was a bit of hazelnuts or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics