Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Girlfriend picked this up today. Gave it a shot. Smells like fresh laundry with hints of citrus. [​IMG]
    Does she have a sister? How is the sillage and lasting power?

2. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

[​IMG] according to my gf (the fragrance junkie)[​IMG]

The citrus notes in general have short lasting power, the sillage upon first spray/half hour is pretty good, effervescent and bright; but fades into a skin scent after 3 hours. She met Francis Kurkdjian (a master perfumer, creating the classic Jean Paul Gaultier le Male fragrance when he was 23) at Bergdorf, and he recommended this scent for her (and me).

here's the list of fragrances he's created:

3. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

All I can say is if you want to smell anise gone wrong, try Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Got a sample as a trade, and did not want. I do love the feminine version on woman. I tried convincing my wife to wear it, but I guess telling her it reminded me of strip clubs wasn't the best way to sell her on it.

I am wearing this today! I like anise.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

currently sampling some Michael Kors for men... really liking this and I'm not normally a leather fan, but this is sweet and fruity leather. First impressions make me want to buy a bottle...

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

[​IMG] according to my gf (the fragrance junkie)[​IMG] The citrus notes in general have short lasting power, the sillage upon first spray/half hour is pretty good, effervescent and bright; but fades into a skin scent after 3 hours. She met Francis Kurkdjian (a master perfumer, creating the classic Jean Paul Gaultier le Male fragrance when he was 23) at Bergdorf, and he recommended this scent for her (and me). here's the list of fragrances he's created:
    Wow, if he gets royalties from JPG Le Male, he's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Gonna have to try Aqua Universalis Edit: There's even a laundry detergent version http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...734cat24520757

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

currently sampling some Michael Kors for men... really liking this and I'm not normally a leather fan, but this is sweet and fruity leather. First impressions make me want to buy a bottle...

I have a small bottle that I'd be happy to trade you. Maybe I can drop it in the swap box for you. It's just a 1 oz bottle and it's only half full, but I'm pretty much done with it.

7. arlee

arlee Senior member

was sampling Lutens Fille En Aiguilles today. loved it piney, woody, fruity, resiny & smokey

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques today. This one, surprisingly, is starting to grow on me. After the metallic blood note starts to recede a little bit, I get a sweet, powdery scent that is actually quite pretty. I should say, though, that the metallic note never goes away entirely.

9. kulata

kulata Senior member

heh, every time...Every Time I wear this I get the same drydown. At least it's consistent.

Very consistent.

Wearing Polo modern reserve today. It reminds me of christmas for some reason

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Very consistent.

Probably the evergreen/pine note. I remember liking the original Polo...well, once everyone stopped wearing it by the bucketload.

Today - inspired by the 'wet dog' comments and also another thread on another board that reminded me that I have samples and ought to wear them more often... I'm wearing Mechant Loup.

The first few minutes are definitely not pretty, I think the 'wet dog' comment is convenient and actually fairly accurate, and probably comes from salty anise and probably a dose of calone; watery licorice - bleh!

After an hour, the calone fades (weird), and I get a spicy anice vanilla. If I could find a bottle cheap, I'd probaby get it.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I have a small bottle that I'd be happy to trade you. Maybe I can drop it in the swap box for you. It's just a 1 oz bottle and it's only half full, but I'm pretty much done with it.

Amazing! I was just looking at getting a 1oz bottle online but they're hard to find. PM sent!

I just got a sample of that. Polo green was one of the first frags I ever smelled as a kid that made me recoil in horror thinking, "wow, old man smell", now I just got some from sephora to see if i can pull it off [​IMG]

Probably the evergreen/pine note. I remember liking the original Polo...well, once everyone stopped wearing it by the bucketload.
    Today - inspired by the 'wet dog' comments and also another thread on another board that reminded me that I have samples and ought to wear them more often... I'm wearing Mechant Loup. The first few minutes are definitely not pretty, I think the 'wet dog' comment is convenient and actually fairly accurate, and probably comes from salty anise and probably a dose of calone; watery licorice - bleh! After an hour, the calone fades (weird), and I get a spicy anice vanilla. If I could find a bottle cheap, I'd probaby get it.

Wasn't everyone wearing polo at some point. I recall it having a HUGE presense, though probably before my time.
    I tried that Mechant Loup a couple of times, if anything I actually found it smelled very weak (a general criticism of the whole L'artisan line) and all I could detect was a bit of hazelnuts or something.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

Wasn't everyone wearing polo at some point. I recall it having a HUGE presense, though probably before my time.
    I tried that Mechant Loup a couple of times, if anything I actually found it smelled very weak (a general criticism of the whole L'artisan line) and all I could detect was a bit of hazelnuts or something.

heh, in 83-84 or so, I car-pooled to school with a guy who wore Polo like it was going out of style. If I wore anything it was probably Old Spice, but as soon as Ed got into the car it was POLO!!!!!. And God help us if his folks were driving, cause by then the POLO!!! had saturated the whole car. I remember his folks had a white on white Cadillac and I swear the interior had taken on a greenish tinge by the end of the school year.

L'Artisans do tend to wear lightly, which can be a good thing if you're wearing Wet Dog. Right now: 4 hours after applicaton - a light anise-cookie scent.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Does she have a sister? How is the sillage and lasting power?

I had no idea sisters had sillage. Brothers, on the other hand...when they refuse to bathe: whew!

14. scugger

scugger Senior member

I agree with the weakness of Mechant Loup. I feel like I had to search for it right after I applied it.

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Zino today. I've had this bottle forever but I never wear this. I gotta say, not bad.