• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Apropos, considering the inventor/formulator just passed away.

Ah, I just found the news of Ms. Piquet's passing. That is a shame indeed.

I don't understand why Guerlain gives all the glory to the family perfumers and now Mr. Wasser when the recent masterpieces have come from outsiders: notably Beatrice Piquet and Mathilde Laurent who barely get a moment's mention.

Wearing L'Instant again today.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Ford Extreme today. One of my favorites.

boo

Reaction score
Bleecker St again. I enjoy it, but I'm starting to tire of it. Seemed to go well with what I'm sure was Rochas Man from the guy next to me on my morning commute. I'll have to try that combination.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How do you find the EdP?

I understand that the EdT with the gold cap is supposedly more authentic to the original formula.

Where do you get your EdT?

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Your description makes me want to try this one, as long as there's at least some rose.
Definitely give it a try. It is an interesting scent. I am just not sure how I feel about it as a scent on my body. Although maybe not as versatile, I prefer the rose in Black Aoud over Rose 31.

scugger

Reaction score
L'Artisan's Mechant Loup: I get damp dog hair.
CdG's Incense Series Zagorsk: I get smokey pencil shavings and pencil lead.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
L'Artisan's Mechant Loup: I get damp dog hair.
CdG's Incense Series Zagorsk: I get smokey pencil shavings and pencil lead.

That's funny - for Mechant Loup I get anise, with various elements added. Eventually, I have a sweet anise/vanilla.

oh, today: Chanel Pour Monsieur. I really ought to wear this one more...but then again I probably say that more often than I should.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
That's funny - for Mechant Loup I get anise, with various elements added. Eventually, I have a sweet anise/vanilla.

It could be that I just have a novice nose. To me Mechant Loup was very hard to detect on my skin compared to most other frags I have tried. Eventually, I came away with a similar smell to my dog's fur after going out in the rain. Could that be the anise? Where can I get a good sense of what anise smells like?

boo

Reaction score
PdN New York today.

It could be that I just have a novice nose. To me Mechant Loup was very hard to detect on my skin compared to most other frags I have tried. Eventually, I came away with a similar smell to my dog's fur after going out in the rain. Could that be the anise? Where can I get a good sense of what anise smells like?

All I can say is if you want to smell anise gone wrong, try Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Got a sample as a trade, and did not want. I do love the feminine version on woman. I tried convincing my wife to wear it, but I guess telling her it reminded me of strip clubs wasn't the best way to sell her on it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anise is the basis for good licorice. Not the black twizzler crap, or anything domestic-made for that matter. But if you want to know anise for what it is, check the spice aisle at your local supermarket: they'll have anise (or star anise) in the small jars. And...sometimes, wet dog has a pungency similar to anise.

By itself, it's not really something you want walk around smelling like - but add it to a lavender/vanilla composition and it's very nice. You'll also notice anise in Azzaro Pour Homme and Rive Gauche pour Homme.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
PdN New York today.

All I can say is if you want to smell anise gone wrong, try Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Got a sample as a trade, and did not want. I do love the feminine version on woman. I tried convincing my wife to wear it, but I guess telling her it reminded me of strip clubs wasn't the best way to sell her on it.

I am wearing PdN NY today too! I'll have to remember what the strip club smells like next time I go.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Anise is the basis for good licorice. Not the black twizzler crap, or anything domestic-made for that matter. But if you want to know anise for what it is, check the spice aisle at your local supermarket: they'll have anise (or star anise) in the small jars. And...sometimes, wet dog has a pungency similar to anise.

By itself, it's not really something you want walk around smelling like - but add it to a lavender/vanilla composition and it's very nice. You'll also notice anise in Azzaro Pour Homme and Rive Gauche pour Homme.

Thanks for the info. I suppose I have smelled anise before in some types of tea. Not sure I have detected it in Rive Gauche. Will give it another sniff.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today YSL M7, vintage I think (decant).
Reminds me of the PDN New York I wore a few days ago.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Wearing Dior Homme EDT today. Girly and powdery smell

heh, every time...Every Time I wear this I get the same drydown. At least it's consistent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads