• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
I kinda dig the pocket design of their shirts. Am I the only one?

Not at all. I'm a big fan. Someone needed to pick up where J. Press has apparently been leaving off.

rdev

Reaction score
I grew up with LL Bean, but when I moved from children's clothes to men's, I left them behind. Their size small is simply too big for me. I hoped the trimmer cut of the Signature line would fix that.

One of my goals was a chino sport coat. I can't get one in my size from most other stores, since few make 36S. LL Bean Signature was quite a disappointment here. They call size small "34-36" but their blazers start at 38. In other words, they don't make blazers in a size that fits their definition of small. This is in contrast with their normal line, which goes to 36S.

Outside of that, I'm not so much disappointed with the line, instead I feel I don't need the stuff. Nothing is unique enough to make me spring for it at full price. Instead, I feel like waiting for sales, or for the fall/winter line. A slimmer Bean flannel sounds very appealing.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

I also like the green/blue plaid madras shirt. But it's not appealing enough to motivate me to kop it at the full price. Given that I'll need to turn it in for alterations (I donno how much it will cost to slim down the chest and probably the shoulder), I can just wait for the sale.
BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs.
devil.gif

synovoid

Reaction score
looks like their S is larger than j crew's S. I really like the shirt, but not sure if it worth alterations.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Yeah, according to the measurents posted before, bean S=crew M

This has to be an exaggeration.

Here is a shot of me wearing an LLB mainline size small:

16966_673933409948_6710085_38959914.jpg

Granted the fit is not SF approved, but it isn't massively huge either. If the signature stuff is more tailored than the mainline stuff, it should at least look better than what is depicted here.

I realize it's hard to tell for sure from this shot but this is the best I have offhand.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs.
devil.gif

You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!?
laugh.gif
J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here.... http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!?
laugh.gif

J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here....

http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics
http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics

Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

there is 0 chance that the largest selling size for j crew is xsmall.

its probably L or XL

the_state

Reaction score
Kinda surprised no one's digging that hunters jacket... I think it looks really sharp.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would wear that navy Sportsman madras, navy suede Ranger Mocs, and navy small canvas duffle for day to day stuff.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't decide if I like the mid-top ranger mocs...how would I wear them?

Seem too tall to wear with shorts...

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_state
Kinda surprised no one's digging that hunters jacket... I think it looks really sharp.
I like it in the model fit pic, but they turn out to be sorta bland in other pics.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can remember liking that red Casco bay polo even when I was a kid. Maybe it's time to get one, now that it seems a little slimmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads