LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Aug 20, 2009.

1. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

I kinda dig the pocket design of their shirts. Am I the only one?

Not at all. I'm a big fan. Someone needed to pick up where J. Press has apparently been leaving off.

2. rdev

rdev Well-Known Member

I grew up with LL Bean, but when I moved from children's clothes to men's, I left them behind. Their size small is simply too big for me. I hoped the trimmer cut of the Signature line would fix that.

One of my goals was a chino sport coat. I can't get one in my size from most other stores, since few make 36S. LL Bean Signature was quite a disappointment here. They call size small "34-36" but their blazers start at 38. In other words, they don't make blazers in a size that fits their definition of small. This is in contrast with their normal line, which goes to 36S.

Outside of that, I'm not so much disappointed with the line, instead I feel I don't need the stuff. Nothing is unique enough to make me spring for it at full price. Instead, I feel like waiting for sales, or for the fall/winter line. A slimmer Bean flannel sounds very appealing.

3. StanleyVanBuren

I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

4. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

I also like the green/blue plaid madras shirt. But it's not appealing enough to motivate me to kop it at the full price. Given that I'll need to turn it in for alterations (I donno how much it will cost to slim down the chest and probably the shoulder), I can just wait for the sale.
    BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs. [​IMG]

5. synovoid

synovoid Senior member

looks like their S is larger than j crew's S. I really like the shirt, but not sure if it worth alterations.

6. chenzhongbi

Yeah, according to the measurents posted before, bean S=crew M

7. StanleyVanBuren

Yeah, according to the measurents posted before, bean S=crew M

This has to be an exaggeration.

Here is a shot of me wearing an LLB mainline size small:

[​IMG]

Granted the fit is not SF approved, but it isn't massively huge either. If the signature stuff is more tailored than the mainline stuff, it should at least look better than what is depicted here.

I realize it's hard to tell for sure from this shot but this is the best I have offhand.

8. BB1

BB1 Senior member

BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs. [​IMG]
    You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!? [​IMG] J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here.... http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

9. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

lol @ j crew's asian demographics.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!? [​IMG]

J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here....

http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics
    http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics

Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

there is 0 chance that the largest selling size for j crew is xsmall.

its probably L or XL

11. the_state

the_state Senior member

Kinda surprised no one's digging that hunters jacket... I think it looks really sharp.

12. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Would wear that navy Sportsman madras, navy suede Ranger Mocs, and navy small canvas duffle for day to day stuff.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I can't decide if I like the mid-top ranger mocs...how would I wear them?

Seem too tall to wear with shorts...

14. chenzhongbi

Kinda surprised no one's digging that hunters jacket... I think it looks really sharp.
    I like it in the model fit pic, but they turn out to be sorta bland in other pics.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

I can remember liking that red Casco bay polo even when I was a kid. Maybe it's time to get one, now that it seems a little slimmer.